Lt. Commander
# 1 PVP Queues
08-20-2011, 11:14 AM
The current people needed minimums are not working, at least for non-max level people.

So how bout taking away the minimums and making it so people are started at 1 vs 1, and people are added in; as a 1 on 1 basis of course, till the team sizes are maxed out or the match is over?
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-20-2011, 01:20 PM
It would be nice if, after a reasonable amount of time, a new Arena could start at 3v3 with the potential for people to join in later if they elected to join any game. I really don't know about taking the minimum much lower than that, not for the public queues anyway.

I'm not really interested in 1v1 and to be honest, there are a lot of ships out there who aren't built for it. That's a good thing in terms of people who build for support roles, or specialize in a particular area. We don't need the queues filling up with people who feel like they need to be more solo minded.
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-20-2011, 03:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHale View Post
It would be nice if, after a reasonable amount of time, a new Arena could start at 3v3 with the potential for people to join in later if they elected to join any game. I really don't know about taking the minimum much lower than that, not for the public queues anyway.

I'm not really interested in 1v1 and to be honest, there are a lot of ships out there who aren't built for it. That's a good thing in terms of people who build for support roles, or specialize in a particular area. We don't need the queues filling up with people who feel like they need to be more solo minded.
IMO we have 1 of the best 1 on 1 duelers in the game in our fleet. It's great piloting practice battling him constantly testing builds, and we take that into the battle, but I change my layout depending on what I see. I usually switch gear or powers once in a match at best. Changing everytime someone came in would kinda make me sad, and probably much less effective.

Test your piloting 1v1.
Test your battle stratgies in at least 3v3
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-22-2011, 05:22 AM
Because 95% of 1v1s are rubbish. That is all.
Lt. Commander
# 5
08-22-2011, 01:47 PM
Yeah some sob's we're getting into a lot of 2v5 and 3v5 matches sunday afternoon. So the queues are broken again?
Lt. Commander
# 6
08-22-2011, 04:26 PM
The current PvP queues are inefficient due to enforcing minimum player quotas without accounting for current user traffic, thereby creating unnecessary waiting periods when players could actually be playing. As suggested above, why not just start matches with 4 players per team, then allow additional players to join in matched numbers per side?

Here are some queue-based ideas other pvp games have used successfully:

1) show a fixed count-down timer for pvp match start times (typically 15-20 min). Start match early if required player counts are met, then allow late joiners to hop in while maintaining even teams. Otherwise, start the match regardless of how many are queued, keeping player counts identical per side.

2) Limit matches to 20 minutes max (or other reasonable time frame) to prevent indefinite "kill farming" in lop-sided matches

3) Reward the winning side random rewards like data samples or even exclusive pvp-only drops. The latter will keep avid pvp'ers coming back for more.

4) enforce 15 minute time-out penalties for pvp desertion and AFK'ers. Such players cannot re-queue until their time-out flag expires. This flag persists through log-outs.

5) shorten idle-time auto-kick from PVP matches to 2 minutes.

I've seen the above work wonders in other games. Perhaps STO can try a few of these standard practices?
Lt. Commander
# 7
08-22-2011, 04:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificialx
Because 95% of 1v1s are rubbish. That is all.
1vs1 is for those who are self-sufficient, like all the past USS Enterprise captains, who don't need friendly support ships to act as crutches. :O

J/K.

In all seriousness, a separate 1vs1 PVP queue would probably be welcomed by many.
Lt. Commander
# 8
08-22-2011, 07:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by genxcraig View Post
Yeah some sob's we're getting into a lot of 2v5 and 3v5 matches sunday afternoon. So the queues are broken again?
Sort of. I've noticed that when there is an imbalance in teams, it's either people slow zoning or there is a delayed startup (the Queue hanging up at 0 as we wait for the match to start).
Lt. Commander
# 9
08-22-2011, 07:33 PM
LoL how much bugs did they introduce in the new patch.

Free Camera bugged.
Science team + Jam sensors.
d/c's all the time.
Now the PvP queues are crapped again.
Lt. Commander
# 10
08-23-2011, 03:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shar487
In all seriousness, a separate 1vs1 PVP queue would probably be welcomed by many.
Only because they don't know better. It is not at all uncommon for 1v1's to take exceedingly long times, because it is (or should be) rather difficult to kill another ship solo.

Any pair of relatively even matched players in any class ship will end up in the longest PvP match they have ever experienced.

It is tedious, it is tiresome, it is extremely boring.

Leave 1v1 to the challenge arena for those masochistic enough..