Lt. Commander
So wheat are your pet peeves with MMO's?

I think one of mine is going about my business and suddenly getting an uninvited friend request, a pvp challenge or a trade window.

no message to say hello, or ask if i would like to pvp or trade first, just a rude invite from someone i have never even spoken to before.

would you walk down the street and shove some money into another persons pocket then ask for compensation? no, so why do it in game.

so what bugs you?
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-21-2011, 01:32 AM
Similarly, I hate random fleet/guild invites. You start a new character, and the next thing you know a bunch of people you've never spoken to before in your life are spamming invites to their fleet. Yeah, I'm going to join your fleet cause you didn't even have the courtesy to speak to me before asking to join. Brilliant.

Also hate people who spam for help for the most mundane of things, rather than actually even attempting it themselves. A great example right now is in ESD with Q: there's always someone asking where he is. He's floating around in a gigantic chair infront of the Admiral's Office: you have a 50% chance to choose the right direction to spot him immediately after leaving the transporter room... and even if you choose the wrong way, it takes about a minute to make a full loop around ESD.

Oh, and people who are all "Super Darky Dark, RAAAAAWRRR!!!". Really, your ship is the USS Blood Reaper 666 and your character is an alien with coal-colored skin and matching outfit, with the height and bulk all tossed to max? Are you serious bro?
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-21-2011, 03:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel-Hyena

Oh, and people who are all "Super Darky Dark, RAAAAAWRRR!!!". Really, your ship is the USS Blood Reaper 666 and your character is an alien with coal-colored skin and matching outfit, with the height and bulk all tossed to max? Are you serious bro?
I also can't stand the testosterone poisoned names and characters.

The only thing I can't stand worse than that is when I get one of the following tells

1) "hey do you RP?"
When I say yes "great. Lets go cyber."

2) "nice rack. Want to cyber?"

3) "I'll give you <enter amount> of <game currency> to cyber with me"

I'm like what the h#$%. Do you think I am in this game to full fill so sexual fantasy. My wood elf, andorian, or what ever is not here to be your sex kitten.
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-21-2011, 04:30 AM
Where a character is supposedly the offspring of one or more canon characters. Really, you mean you can't hit Random a few times to come up with something original? Really?
Lt. Commander
# 5
08-21-2011, 04:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayvenwing View Post
I also can't stand the testosterone poisoned names and characters.

The only thing I can't stand worse than that is when I get one of the following tells

1) "hey do you RP?"
When I say yes "great. Lets go cyber."

2) "nice rack. Want to cyber?"

3) "I'll give you <enter amount> of <game currency> to cyber with me"

I'm like what the h#$%. Do you think I am in this game to full fill so sexual fantasy. My wood elf, andorian, or what ever is not here to be your sex kitten.
Now that is truly scary. I know my pet peeve....the way some people treat others that don't speak their language in mmo's. My primary language is Spanish and in another mmo I use to play, I was speaking to a fellow player in Spanish only to be called a "jaja" by some random idiot.

side note...j is pronounced the same as an h in English. So jaja would be pronounce haha and that is how many Spanish speakers type laughter. This is the origin of calling some mmo'ers of Hispanic origin Jaja's.
Lt. Commander
# 6
08-21-2011, 04:53 AM
Elitism and horrible naming of characters mostly.
Lt. Commander
# 7
08-21-2011, 07:27 AM
With MMOs in general - the holier-than-thou attitude displayed by the "veterans" of the endgame, and the generally low maturity level (WoW is notoriously bad for this - about a hundred times worse than STO, considering it has about a hundred or more times the population, lol). That's why I generally turn off the cesspool chat channels (Trade in WoW, Zone here) unless I absolutely need to use them.

With this game in particular...what's annoyed me is all the Captain Kirks, Picards, Siskos, etc. (either claiming to be the real deal or someone related to them)...and, though I applaud the inventive use of the alien creator, all the people making themselves out to be Grand Admiral Thrawn. (Something I think we'll be seeing a lot of in TOR, considering Chiss are one of the playable races!)
Lt. Commander
# 8
08-21-2011, 08:17 AM
* I don't like random invites ( from strangers, not friends or fleet members) without a known reason first

* I hate zone chat in social hubs....

Ex: ESD is my prime sources for the hundreds that are on my ignore list...and my list grows every day...
* I hate spawn campers

* I hate exploiters of bugs

* From STO: I hated the cryo grenade throwers....thank God for that nerf...

* I'm annoyed at in-game stores that shell out new things only for cash instead of making new things for the game in general

* I hate when naming of characters aren't enforced

Ex: STO allowing every Tom, ****, and Harry naming their characters after canon characters...or the stupid ship names I see every day...biggest turnoff in STO
Lt. Commander
# 9
08-21-2011, 08:22 AM
i forgot to add the concept or roles. not a problem in itself but if you go into some dungeon or raid or whatever and you have a specific task to to do like healing or tanking. if you do it badly then people scream at you. if someone else is tanking and you are drawing the agro by accident people scream at you, die and people scream at you.

one of the reasons i like sto so much is the concept of roles is almost non existent. i know i or others wont screw everything up by doing something wrong.
Lt. Commander
# 10
08-21-2011, 09:09 AM
STO is the first MMO I've given my full attention to, but so far my pet hates are:

The spam message that appears a lot while at ESD promising instant rank ups and such. No thanks, it isn't like it's hard to level up in the game anyway.

The constant fleet spam messages. Yes, you are looking for new members, that's great, but please don't spam the zone chat with the same message time after time. Also anyone forcing you to join their fleet without actually talking to you and asking politely if you're interested or not.
I'm content with the fleet I'm in, I have no desire to switch to another fleet.

Sudden PvP invites without even being asked first, and the player far outmatching me so that it's an uneven match and only they have the advantage instead of a more balanced fight.
If I wanted to be blown up a few dozen times I would try taking on computer opponents who are several grades above me.

The lack of imagination with characters and ships. It isn't hard to be creative and make a truly original character. I've made five characters who are all original, none of them related nor connected to any canon characters. One character I deleted so that I could make my new one, a human from a colony where an unusual radiation has caused the colonists over the past few hundred years since the colony was founded, to become much shorter than the original colonists over several generations.
Plus I use original names for my ships like the USS Shore with my main character Reina Beaumont, as well as latin names for other ships with my other characters like USS Medicus - latin for healer, USS Ferrum, latin for sword and USS Purva, latin for tiny.
It isn't hard to come up with truly original names that aren't 'Enterprise' 'Voyager' and 'Defiant' or a play on words of those names. Be original, be creative, don't just stick to a couple of names from the series.

General rudeness when someone is asking for help and really does need the help or has a query on weapons or how to use the hud. I don't recall any Starfleet officer in the series being rude and offensive to anyone who asked for help, there is no excuse to be that way in a Trek game.
If someone is actually unsure how to play the game, then it doesn't hurt to set aside a few minutes to help them.

People throwing grenades around and placing turrets down in the non-combat zones. Is there a reason for doing that or are you just bored and mistaking STO for COD?
Save that stuff for when you're in a fight.

The lack of poor grammer sometimes can make me wonder if schools even teach anymore, or if the whole texting form of speaking has become the new form of speaking.
It doesn't hurt to use percise and clear wording.