Lt. Commander
# 51
09-03-2011, 07:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Revo
which only proves my point. i never said that starfleet did not act as a military. i said they do other things as well besides being a military.
My mistake--I thought you were arguing a different position.
Lt. Commander
# 52
09-03-2011, 08:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USSNighthawk
Agreed with most here. One thing that REALLY gets on my nerves here is people saying they're "flying" X ship. You don't "fly" stuff in space. You never hear Kirk or Picard say they're flying the Enterprise, they're captaining it. Also hate how this game appears confused as to what era it takes place in. I'm surprised they haven't strapped a warp core and nacelles to CVN-65 Enterprise and given that to us yet....
yeah as for the early era ships being in game. I have always thought of it as The Federation had to make due with what they had. so they fixed up a lot of the older ships and made it so different parts could be used to save resources.

My pet peeve in STO is lack of info on the whereabouts of mission givers. once you get a quest sometimes it takes a while to get to it then when finished if you have go back to the person it doesn't say where they were. and you have forgotten cause you did 6 missions in between.

In general my MMO pet peeve is repetitive mission types. I know they do this to save money and make content quick. but more is always welcomed and sometimes needed.
Lt. Commander
# 53 Inaccessible Content
09-03-2011, 09:14 PM
Inaccessible content for those people that want to experience endgame, but just cannot sit on their rears for hours on end.

Why does endgame PvE always mean long drawn out encounters that take anywhere from 1 to 5 hours to complete? I know the reasoning, to keep people busy while they create more, but why can't they break them up into 30 minute sections that once completed equal 1 to 5 hours? It is a game played for enjoyment not a job. That one little change wouldn't harm the "too much time on their hands" crowd and bring all PvE content into reach for all to enjoy.

I am hopeful that the STF revamp will bring STO endgame into reach.
Lt. Commander
# 54
09-03-2011, 09:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBFLordKrueg View Post
Players that quit playing a game, but continue to post in that game's forums complaining about the game....or simply continue to post in that game's forums, period.
Er...Um...I've all but stopped playing....So I annoy you?
Lt. Commander
# 55
09-03-2011, 09:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sural_Argonus
Er...Um...I've all but stopped playing....So I annoy you?
Well... no... Your not annoying anyone of course not...
Now will you have the chimp put the gun down?...
Lt. Commander
# 56
09-03-2011, 09:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirian_darkstar View Post
Well... no... Your not annoying anyone of course not...
Now will you have the chimp put the gun down?...
Like your Schmexy Klingon would be scared of a gun toting chimp......
Lt. Commander
# 57
09-03-2011, 09:39 PM
There's one aspect of gameplay that bugs me about all RPGs, not just MMORPGs.

Think about what you usually spend most of your time doing: slaughter a computer-controlled character, the search its corpse for valuables, taking whatever interests you. Then you go looking for another computer-controlled character, kill it too, then steal all of its belongings as well. Wash, rinse, repeat: kill, steal, kill, steal, kill, steal.

Oh sure, they usually try to come up with some kind of justification within the game for this behavior (they're BAD GUYS! You can do whatever you want to BAD GUYS without remorse!), but in the end, we're all roleplaying muggers and bandits no matter what we imagine ourselves to be roleplaying.

At times, this mechanic becomes particularly problematic.

I loved both of the Knights of the Old Republic games, but found it very absurd that light side jedi end up doing this exact same thing: looting the corpses of your (previously sentient) victims.

It makes even less sense in this game, at least if you're playing a Federation character. Theoretically, we are part of a society that is no longer motivated by avarice, so much so that we don't even use money any more, but if that's so why I am I looting every corpse I create? Heck, why am I creating that many corpses in the first place?

I love playing RPGs. Pretty much all kinds of RPGs, but the whole mugger-bandit thing kind of gnaws at me when I stop and think about it.
Lt. Commander
# 58
09-03-2011, 10:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benfea View Post
kill, steal, kill, steal, kill, steal.
You don't have to play it like that all. it's your own choice if you want to or not.

I see it this way:
Kill-(for whatever the justifications you chose or were asigned to do that YOU AGREED TO)- it's ok, the body is naturally biodegradeble!

Steal-(if that's what you wanna think of it as, instead of the many other justifiable reasons such as intelligence gathering, repo work, collateral requisition or whatever) - pick up the Non-Biodegradable drops and return them to the local Recycling Center (i.e. Vendor, merchants, Requisition Officers, mission assignment granter etc.) it is better for the planet and space if we pick up after one another!

GO GREEN!
Lt. Commander
# 59
09-03-2011, 10:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirian_darkstar View Post
You don't have to play it like that all. it's your own choice if you want to or not.

I see it this way:
Kill-(for whatever the justifications you chose or were asigned to do that YOU AGREED TO)- it's ok, the body is naturally biodegradeble!

Steal-(if that's what you wanna think of it as, instead of the many other justifiable reasons such as intelligence gathering, repo work, collateral requisition or whatever) - pick up the Non-Biodegradable drops and return them to the local Recycling Center (i.e. Vendor, merchants, Requisition Officers, mission assignment granter etc.) it is better for the planet and space if we pick up after one another!

GO GREEN!
So instead of roleplaying a bandit, I could roleplay a bandit with weak rationalizations? :p
Lt. Commander
# 60
09-03-2011, 11:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuanManChu
Yet there are ship names as well as Captain names that make me think twice about letting my daughter play this game.
Oh, I don't disagree with you there. I was just pointing out one particular nuisance about other MMORPGs that somehow didn't make it into this game.