Lt. Commander
I wanted to ask whether it would be possible to either a) have a list of words considered profanity or b) highlight those words directly in the dialogue editor.

With the new foundry update there seem to be some new words considered bad. I don't remember that "damn" was among the words on the blacklist. It just took me a couple of minutes to figure out that the foundry tool considered this word to be bad.
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-21-2011, 09:35 AM
it gets better, the word taint is on that list. try figuring THAT one out in a set of dialog trees that are 6 branches deep. I completely approve of something that parses our text to let us know.
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-21-2011, 06:11 PM
Unfortunately there are some pretty inexplicable censored words in the Foundry, ones that noticeably aren't even censored on the forums, nor in Star Trek episodes!

Damn has actually been censored at the very least since the Foundry's release, nevermind that most if not all the series used that epithet.
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-22-2011, 05:49 AM
Remember though that the game makers have to follow certain guidelines handed down by the esrb in order to maintain their rating(and allow sales to a target market) In those cases you err to the side of caution, though it does allow you to scratch your head and wonder how people 1)start using some words to mean things and 2) how do you discover these uses
Lt. Commander
# 5
08-28-2011, 04:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by castmodean View Post
Remember though that the game makers have to follow certain guidelines handed down by the esrb in order to maintain their rating(and allow sales to a target market) In those cases you err to the side of caution, though it does allow you to scratch your head and wonder how people 1)start using some words to mean things and 2) how do you discover these uses
that is true to a point, everything published by cryptic must conform to fit their ESRB rating. However, online interactions are not rated by the ESRB, which would include player to player interactions The foundery is a bit of a gray area, and at the vary least thay should allow words used in the show.

i just make up my own but thats beside the point. :p