Lt. Commander
Hello STO Community,

I'm proud to announce that the third installment of the Star Trek: Odyssey series is now available as a Community Authorized Mission.

"The Great Experiment" revolves around the discovery of a breakthrough Transwarp Drive that allows for continuous Transwarp around the galaxy. For over two hundred years, Starfleet has tried to find a stable, self-sustaining Transwarp Drive. Now, the new commander of the Utopia Planitia Shipyards has discovered this new method of continuous Transwarp travel. During the test, things go horribly wrong, and you and your crew find themselves in a place removed from the rest of the Federation; a place beyond space and time. Explore strange new worlds and boldly go where no one has gone before in this new episode of Star Trek: Odyssey.

"The Great Experiment" - ST-HHJU75H7L
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-11-2012, 05:32 AM
Very good mission, I'll replay it tonight so I can tip you can leave an in-game review. My game bugged and when I logged back on I couldn't post a review. Nice use of Utopia Planetia, though I couldn't help but feel from the way your characters were speaking that this mission is suggested for an Odyssey class ship. Just comments like 'Your engines were designed for long range high warp' and things like that.

Also, you might want to make Commander Crusher a generic character, I think using a licensed character can get your mission pulled.

All in all, excellent job and I'll tip you tonight. Thanks for the missions.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-11-2012, 09:04 AM
Thank you! It's great to hear feedback. Personally, though, the story needs Crusher as a character, and although I am in the grey, I feel that I've followed the EULA guidelines appropriately. My version of Crusher doesn't look like Wil Wheaton at all. I was very careful with that. I'm not going to go diving for characters from past Treks all the time, but small cameos with characters that don't look like the actors that played them seem ok by the legal guidelines established in the Foundry EULA.

If, at a later date, Cryptic pulls the mission, I will, of course, make the necessary adjustments to his character and republish.

On the Odyssey-basis. The series is called ST: Odyssey and they were in the Odyssey design pit at UP. However, I've kept most of the series thus far very generic in regards to ship class. Personally, I play my missions with the USS Brandywine (Prometheus Class), and I don't feel it detracts from much. Sometimes, when and where technology limits what we do, we just need to put our imagination at work and let the little stuff go.

I would've liked to have done more with this mission on the whole, but Foundry limitations being what they are, it is hard to produce workarounds that hold the story and gameplay together without developed tools or variables to "have it our way".

P.S. This is just an episode in a larger TV-like series. I'm not planning on doing large 2, 3, or 4 part episodes. I think, at some point, those huge stories get lost in themselves and limit the experience.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-12-2012, 10:47 PM
AAaauugghhh!!!!

I was heading down this technological leap in my "Camelot" series. The groundwork was laid in the first mission, "Camelot Under Siege" (Federation).

However, I applaud your use of the stable transwarp drive tech. Well-done! I look forward to trying your mission at some point! It sounds like a winner!
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-12-2012, 10:54 PM
I'll check it out - but one trivia question, isn't it part of the game's back story that transwarp drive if no longer experimental?
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-14-2012, 01:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElChup47
I'll check it out - but one trivia question, isn't it part of the game's back story that transwarp drive if no longer experimental?
Good question. The game's a little vague on that, but it seems that the "Transwarp Drive" in STO is little more than using Transwarp conduits ala Borg in ST: Voyager. All uses of Transwarp Drive other than that seem to be shortcuts through sector space that can only be used for a certain period of time.

This is fully sustainable warp-like Transwarp. Just think of it as Warp Drive Squared. Instead of one subspace bubble warping spacetime its two subspace bubbles warping spacetime allowing for travel past Warp 10 and to Warp 19.99.

Does that help answer your question?
Lieutenant
# 7 I'm back.
07-01-2012, 08:11 PM
Hi guys,

I decided to bump this thread up, because I'm working on Episode 4 right now. I did take a little break, but I was a little surprised coming back that my mission was not played by many. In my opinion, Episode 3 is the best of the episodes I have come up with so far.

Episode 4 is extremely good, but creating the maps and the dialogue has been insanely time consuming. In short order, I need people (like you guys) who play and tip in order to continue writing episodes for the series. A lot of people consider this series pure, glorious Trek, and that's what I'm going for.

Now, time to get off my soapbox and start writing again.
Rihannsu
# 8
07-01-2012, 09:55 PM
Just played through all 3, gave them each 5 stars