Lt. Commander
# 41
08-24-2011, 07:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan-Cryptic View Post
Well, we did announce it before the fact via a newsletter. But, I don't have any desire to announce all sales before they begin. Why would I? Spontaneous promotions are fun, there's no requirement for me to do so, dates change so it's usually a bad idea to announce them early, and our sales (focused on digital goods) run for large enough periods of times that we don't have to worry about people missing out like a physical retailer might.

The only reasons physical retailers announce sales prior to their start is because they need you to physically come to the store and they need to physically print advertisements for you.

Think about it this way: Steam deals and Amazon deals of the day. Why would they ever publicize, days or weeks in advance, that consumers can get something half off?
Somewhere my Marketing teacher is weeping.

And "Deals of the Day" aside, several digital outlets give a day or two warning to work up hype (and to make sure people get the message) for example. What if I don't read the Forums? What if I don't read the news letter? how will i know there's a sell? You have an in game bulletin system you love to spam us with when we log in, but we get no messages in it. The more you make something publicly known the more likely you are to make money off of it. It's a simple fact of Marketing I learned in my High School course for it.
Lt. Commander
# 42
08-24-2011, 07:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastor_Forthright View Post
It's a simple fact of Marketing
Based on years of studies done on brick and mortar stores. Their is NO High School text book up to date enough to account for trends related to the success of micro transactions in an MMO. They started too recently.

At any rate the only place they could effectively advertise this early is the launcher. The problem is that once people see that there, many people are going to buy before the sale even starts because they didn't read. One sentiment about that is that these people should have read and they deserve to pay more because of it. The other side of the coin is that Cryptic would then seem greedy and dishonest because people misunderstood their message and Cryptic made more money as a direct result.
Lt. Commander
# 43
08-24-2011, 07:50 PM
Micro transactions are more like the candy in the checkout aisle at the grocery store. The less people think about it the more likely they are to buy it. Typically people are buying a lot of stuff and the price of the candy pales in comparison. Its there, its convenient, its seems cheap, and you want it. When you take the time to think about it you don't need it and the price per ounce is as bad as it gets. That's why they never advertise for that stuff on the checkout aisle. The less a person thinks about it the more likely they are to buy.

The same is true for a lot of micro transactions. You see them while your somewhere you would have gone without looking for them, they typically don't cost much so people don't stop and think if they can afford them, its something people who play the game would want and its convenient.

The only thing that is going to happen if you advertise to the masses is that people are going to wait to buy and take the time do ask themselves "do I really need this and am I going to use this enough to justify the price." The C-Store is all about spontaneous sales. Ive bought a lot of stuff on the C-Store and looking back at it I only still use around 1/4 of the stuff I bought and had I given it the time to think I wouldn't have bought most of the things I no longer use.
Lt. Commander
# 44
08-24-2011, 08:50 PM
Quote:
Well, we did announce it before the fact via a newsletter. But, I don't have any desire to announce all sales before they begin. Why would I? Spontaneous promotions are fun, there's no requirement for me to do so, dates change so it's usually a bad idea to announce them early, and our sales (focused on digital goods) run for large enough periods of times that we don't have to worry about people missing out like a physical retailer might.

The only reasons physical retailers announce sales prior to their start is because they need you to physically come to the store and they need to physically print advertisements for you.

Think about it this way: Steam deals and Amazon deals of the day. Why would they ever publicize, days or weeks in advance, that consumers can get something half off?
Quote:
No, we don't ignore everything. We don't ignore anything, actually. We just understand that some people get angry and are quite vocal about it perhaps more vocal on the Internet, where it's easy to create anonymous vitriol. But, it's no problem. We take it all in stride and try and make the best improvements we can to our game.

And that can't be right about your ticket. Our CS team would not ever write "Too bad for you." I'm sure there's more you're omitting / exaggerating. And I'm sure if you contact support, they'll work to resolve your issues as best they can.
Thank you for convincing me NOT to spend any more money on any Cryptic product .
Lt. Commander
# 45
08-24-2011, 11:10 PM
Quote:

And "Deals of the Day" aside, several digital outlets give a day or two warning to work up hype (and to make sure people get the message) for example. What if I don't read the Forums? What if I don't read the news letter? how will i know there's a sell? You have an in game bulletin system you love to spam us with when we log in, but we get no messages in it. The more you make something publicly known the more likely you are to make money off of it. It's a simple fact of Marketing I learned in my High School course for it.
Maybe you should check your email or forums more if you're that concerned about sales. Besides the sales are always shown on the launcher that everyone uses on the planet to play the game that the goods are for. Honestly you would have to not pay attention to anything to not know there was a sale going on. Also you probably shouldn't blame the marketing team for the in game bulletin system not working properly. Also taking a class in high school about it doesn't really make someone an expert at it...

Anyway, I always love the sales! I pretty much have everything I want though but I am considering some bank and inventory slots. I was considering buying some ships but I, like quite a few other people posted, will probably try and wait for another 50% off ship sale. I bought pretty much all the outfits I wanted during the Elim Garak sale which was awesome, and I did buy the NX Enterprise too. I do have my eye on the Galaxy-X but I think that even with the 20% off its still just a bit too steep for me at the moment.
Lt. Commander
# 46
08-24-2011, 11:28 PM
I really do not understand why some people complain about this.

First, the sale is a good thing, as you can now get items 20% cheaper.
Second, if you bought a C-Store item before teh sale, you saw how much it cost and you bought it, so you knew what you were spending
Thrid, when you buy a computer you notice that most of the time a few weeks later it will be cheaper and also gas stations never annouce their price changes in advance (granted, there the price is typically higher the next day).

Cryptic does a good job with these occasional C-Store promotions and I hope they continue.
Lt. Commander
# 47
08-25-2011, 12:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfman View Post
I really do not understand why some people complain about this..
I'll complain if i want to; It's comforting - The Doctor

Lt. Commander
# 48
08-25-2011, 12:27 AM
Quote:
Quote:
I weep with him/her.

Coming Soon notices seem to be working out all right for Xbox LIVE Marketplace. That's not a small customer base.
http://majornelson.com/2011/08/23/co...marketplace-8/
Big section right in the middle for upcoming discounts. And the same advance notices tend to pop up in the dashboard. Of course it took Microsoft... oh.. 5 years to be this up front about it.

This kind of aggressive/progressive strategy absolutely influences my purchasing decisions, and exactly when I decide to add Points to my account. Let's not forget microtransaction wallets are really about selling the points that sit in your account, NOT getting you to download the content itself. Anyone who claims otherwise needs to go back to marketing school.

If the C-Store had a "Daily Deal" I totally agree with Ivan's point. But a special sale once every month or two can't be hurt by a tease. Steam does it. Amazon's twitter accounts do it. And now publishers are all about the "DLC Season Pass"; buy a bundle up front for a discount! Pre-order and save! How novel!

The extra sales from increased awareness should more than compensate for "lucky" shoppers, without bringing the bad will that comes from customers who buy the same content two days before. What's better, a thread of people chatting about what they want to buy or WISH will be on sale, or a thread about people griping what they missed out on and won't buy off-sale?

I expect Perfect World has a couple of ideas to toss around.

EDIT: Just to reaffirm my points: Aug 25th, Steam announces their upcoming Weekend deal a couple of days in advance. http://store.steampowered.com/news/6143/
(I apologise if linking to other games is against some forum guideline, but it is immensely on topic.)
Lt. Commander
# 49
08-25-2011, 12:38 AM
Quote:
No, we don't ignore everything. We don't ignore anything, actually. We just understand that some people get angry and are quite vocal about it perhaps more vocal on the Internet, where it's easy to create anonymous vitriol. But, it's no problem. We take it all in stride and try and make the best improvements we can to our game.

And that can't be right about your ticket. Our CS team would not ever write "Too bad for you." I'm sure there's more you're omitting / exaggerating. And I'm sure if you contact support, they'll work to resolve your issues as best they can.
It's good that you understand that people get angry from the way you run your business. When they have been as helpful they can be reporting bugs from Closed Beta upon-till now and on Tribble. Eventually paying customers patience runs out. That is something that happens faster when they are promised one thing and then either get an other that they don't want or don't get it at all or something totally opposite.

Me, I've had a character stuck in First City because if a simple to fix bug. Have you done anything to fix it yet? No. Am I alone with this problem? No. Does that make me loose patience? Yes. Am I a fanboi that will only say what's good with the game? No. Is everything in the game bad? No. Are huge problem areas ignored for very long periods of time? Yes. Has the game improved? Yes. Have the resources spent on improving the game been spent wisely? No. Could some of these resources been used to work on other things that is needed in the game? Yes.
Lt. Commander
# 50
08-25-2011, 01:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Body_Surfer
Micro transactions are more like the candy in the checkout aisle at the grocery store. The less people think about it the more likely they are to buy it. Typically people are buying a lot of stuff and the price of the candy pales in comparison. Its there, its convenient, its seems cheap, and you want it. When you take the time to think about it you don't need it and the price per ounce is as bad as it gets. That's why they never advertise for that stuff on the checkout aisle. The less a person thinks about it the more likely they are to buy.

The same is true for a lot of micro transactions. You see them while your somewhere you would have gone without looking for them, they typically don't cost much so people don't stop and think if they can afford them, its something people who play the game would want and its convenient.

The only thing that is going to happen if you advertise to the masses is that people are going to wait to buy and take the time do ask themselves "do I really need this and am I going to use this enough to justify the price." The C-Store is all about spontaneous sales. Ive bought a lot of stuff on the C-Store and looking back at it I only still use around 1/4 of the stuff I bought and had I given it the time to think I wouldn't have bought most of the things I no longer use.
This guy hit the nail on the head. It seems a lot of people in the thread are applying rules that were meant for normal transactions and sales. The C-Store and its micro-transactions are exactly what this guy says - the candy at the front of the store.

They make way more money by not advertising their sales and then people rush in and buy tons of items while the sale is on. In a month they'll probably do a 50% off sale. But you don't know that for sure, and so you think (in addition to the above) "better by that Flying Space Brick today or there might not be this good a sale for a while!"

EDIT: By the way I'm not saying that this is a good thing that they're doing. It's capitalism so they are out to maximise profit. And since we're in a capitalist society if they don't maximise profit we would have no game to play - that is as good as it is at least.