Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1 Fleet Flagship?
08-16-2011, 01:56 PM
Greetings all!

I would just like the opinions of other captains. I am also having this discussion with my fleet mates, but I would like some unbiased opinions.
My tac officer currently captains a Defiant-R. The thing is, I'm my Fleet's Admiral and the ship just doesn't have a flagship feel to it, RP wise. I do love the ship however, it just ruins immersion for me being squishy while my fleet mates can outlast me in most fights. I've worked with balancing for better survival and I don't blow up that often, but it still can be annoying. I've flown most of the other ships in-game, and while cruisers do have the flagship feel to them, I have a hard time getting used to the turn rate. I leveled my tac up in science vessels but the end-game ships don't cut it for me. If I had to take one for my fleet and get used to a new ship, I would. I was just wondering if you guys thought the Defiant-R was a suitable Fleet Flagship, and just try to balance it more for better results, or if I should look to other suggestions.
Thanks.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
08-16-2011, 02:15 PM
Don't think of the ship as the Fleet's flagship; think of it simply that you're an Admiral, and you have the choice to pick the vessel from which you command, consequently your Defiant is the vessel where you keep your flag by choice
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
08-16-2011, 02:21 PM
Good point. Thanks, that's a great post!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
08-17-2011, 05:53 AM
Well.. Think of it this way:

In history
The flagship is the ship the Admirals flag is flown upon, it didnt need to nessecarily be the largest ship around (though it often was).

In WW2, many admirals typically used smaller and faster ships, and today it might be the ship with the best communications suite.. IIRC some navies actually have command&control ships today (that definately are smaller than say a CVN).

TL;DR - The flagship is whatever ship the Admiral is aboard, regardless of class.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
08-17-2011, 06:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNova View Post
Greetings all!

I would just like the opinions of other captains. I am also having this discussion with my fleet mates, but I would like some unbiased opinions.
My tac officer currently captains a Defiant-R. The thing is, I'm my Fleet's Admiral and the ship just doesn't have a flagship feel to it, RP wise. I do love the ship however, it just ruins immersion for me being squishy while my fleet mates can outlast me in most fights. I've worked with balancing for better survival and I don't blow up that often, but it still can be annoying. I've flown most of the other ships in-game, and while cruisers do have the flagship feel to them, I have a hard time getting used to the turn rate. I leveled my tac up in science vessels but the end-game ships don't cut it for me. If I had to take one for my fleet and get used to a new ship, I would. I was just wondering if you guys thought the Defiant-R was a suitable Fleet Flagship, and just try to balance it more for better results, or if I should look to other suggestions.
Thanks.
I was in the same boat as you are. I ended up rolling a science officer to get the Intrepid. The thing I keep in mind is this. if it's good enough for Sisko to command a fleet from, it's good enough for us. Don't spec your Defiant to 'outlast' your enemies. Spec her to kill your enemies as quickly and as efficiently as possible. Only then will you outlast them
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
08-17-2011, 07:00 AM
In the battle for DS9 the Defiant is the Fleet Flagship with Sisko giving commands to all the other ships with him.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
08-17-2011, 01:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by STF65
In the battle for DS9 the Defiant is the Fleet Flagship with Sisko giving commands to all the other ships with him.
It wasn't the flag ship for the whole fleet like the Enterprise, it was the flag ship for the battle fleet it was a member of.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
08-17-2011, 01:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adml_shake View Post
It wasn't the flag ship for the whole fleet like the Enterprise, it was the flag ship for the battle fleet it was a member of.
That really doesn't matter. Flagship is a fake title, anyway. It was made up for TNG, and only useful there because those characters were the stars of TNG. No one ever cared if Kirk's Enterprise was the flagship. People respected Kirk and his crew not the ship. Kirk did more in an outdated BoP then most Starfleet captains do in Galaxy Class ships: Captain Keogh wasn't exactly the sharpest knife in there drawer in the Odyssey.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
08-17-2011, 02:13 PM
If you want a big boat that can turn quickly in combat, try a Galaxy-R and play with the saucer separated. It's a nice ship.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
08-17-2011, 02:36 PM
The Galaxy-R is epic and deadly when properly set up, its nearly an indestructible tank that wears down its target until its defenses can longer withstand the onslaught.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:28 AM.