Lt. Commander
# 11
08-24-2011, 09:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarnin View Post
The Soyuz-class is older than the Miranda. I think the version we saw in Cause and Effect was a retrofit, and that the Soyuz-class was originally like a TOS version of a Miranda. If you look into it you'll find that the Soyuz-class was retired in the 2280s. Constitutions were decommissioned in the 2290s, so it seems like the Soyuz would have originated at or before the Constitution-class.

Soyuz-class being commissioned around 2230ish would precede the Constitutions being build in the 2240s, so those ships had ~50 year in service (excluding STO of course).

It might make a cool TOS addition, with an original TOS model and a retrofit variant skin available in the C-Store.
We have NX class ships in this game. Anything that had been decommissioned, now has an excuse to come back to life. Not saying I agree with this view, just that it's out there. I've said it before, if Cryptic thought they could get away with strapping a warp core and phaser arrays to CVN-65 and selling it in the C-Store, I'm sure they'd do it. Especially, if the vocal minority asks for it.
Lt. Commander
# 12
08-25-2011, 03:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mister_dee
You mean a ship called "Bozeman" took part in that battle.
(BTW the place in Montana where Cochrane built his ship was also called Bozeman and co-author of "First Contact" Brannon Braga is from Bozeman)

The only ship we saw that resembled the Bozeman was a standard Miranda, leaving several possibilities, among them that the Bozeman in that movie was a different ship or that the Bozeman was reconstructed as a regular Miranda.
Decipher's Star Trek CCG had the U.S.S. Bozeman in it's Frist Contact Expansion set. From the Registry, and the lore box, they made it quite clear that this was the same ship. While it is true that the card game is not considered cannon, and had doctored a few pictures for cards late in First Edition, From Premier through Rules of Aquisition, they only released ships, personnel and the like based on actual screen cannon. It is very likely that the picture used on the U.S.S. Bozeman card WAS either from a screen cap, stock footage used in the movie, or from a production image used in the production of "Star Trek: First Contact".
Lt. Commander
# 13
08-25-2011, 03:31 AM
As I recall they went to the trouble of getting Kelsey Grammer to record a line or 2 of comm traffic, but theres several possibilities.
Lt. Commander
# 14
09-11-2011, 08:13 PM
Quote:
Those "turrets" are sensor arrays, not artillery.
I wonder how artillery in space ouwl work anyway.
I also wonder why everyone looks at the ship and thinks "barrels = guns".
Those are some mean looking "sensor pods"...

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/sc...oyuz-model.jpg
http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/sc...zeman-caps.jpg
Lt. Commander
# 15
09-11-2011, 08:57 PM
The closest thing to canon I can find for the Soyuz class Bozeman comes from the book Ship of the Line, which fills in the gap between Generations and First Contact.

The original Soyuz class Bozeman from the TNG episode (Captained by Morgan Bateson) was decommissioned and housed at Starbase 12 (i think) as a museum piece. The Bozeman that is in First Contact is the Bozeman II NCC 1941-A and is commanded by Morgan Bateson with his full crew still with him.

This second Bozeman was originally the USS Roderick and while no ship class is given in Ship of the Line, a following eBook The Future Begins designates it as a Sovereign Class and actually the Enterprise's sister ship. I know it sounds odd putting an old crew and captain in charge of one of Star Fleet's newest but if you read Ship of the Line things would become clearer and I wont spoil the story.

Just for reference I've read Ship of the Line but not that eBook, but having looked at Memory Beta the info is there.

Bit O/T but i would like to see Morgan Bateson in STO if possible, He's very much a Kirk type Captain and his style is at odds with current Star Fleet thinking. It could make for some interesting missions.

Edit:
Memory Alpha lists the Soyuz class Bozeman at the battle of Sector 001 while Memory Beta says it was the Sovereign Bozeman II. Its worth noting that neither of these ships are seen in the movie First Contact, theres defo a Miranda or two there but no Soyuz that I could spot and defo only one Sovereign, the Enterprise.
And lets not forget the fact there's the Millenium Falcon flying there too so best make up your own minds which version of the Bozeman fits best
Lt. Commander
# 16
09-11-2011, 11:01 PM
now please correct me if im wrong but isnt this class no different than that of the in game miranda. i mean they look the same, they from the same time period. and the miranda was used more. the 2 of which were even retired long before TNG. and i think i even read somewhere that Bozeman came thru a space rift in space, and was somewhat from a different era or place. in which case make it a skin if you like, but it looks no different from a Miranda class. so it will be hard to differ the two.
Lt. Commander
# 17
09-11-2011, 11:07 PM
They are quite similar in basic design but there is enough of a difference to tell them apart at a glance.

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__...oyuz_Class.jpg
Lt. Commander
# 18
09-11-2011, 11:11 PM
good god there is lol, never seen a side shot of one. massive differance.
Lt. Commander
# 19
09-11-2011, 11:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SojournerX
What's your point?
It looks intimidating to you, it must be a weapon?

BTW, hotlinking to EAS only results in red quares saying "blocked".

I presume you read the article kirian_darkstar linked to.
It clearly states Okuda modified a Miranda drawing with sensor turrets.
Besides, never ever have we seen Starfleet mount a weapon on a ship that remotely resembles these turrets.
Lt. Commander
# 20
09-11-2011, 11:55 PM
Quote:
Besides, never ever have we seen Starfleet mount a weapon on a ship that remotely resembles these turrets.
We've never seen them mount any sensors that look like those either to be fair.