Lt. Commander
# 1 Map Transitions 101
08-23-2011, 09:44 AM
Hi community,

I have been reading alot of posts with users struggling with creating effective and attractive map transitions. In order for the warp in affect to occur whether on ground or in space the following needs to occur.

The warp out/in will work when the source map and the target map are the following:

Warp:
Source Map : Space
Target Map: Space

Beam:
Source Map: Interior/ Ground
Target Map: Space

Beam:
Source Map: Interior
Target Map: Ground

Set it up:

Space to Space

For Space Warp to occur the transition must be between two space maps

1.) Create Source Space Map

2.) Create Target Space Map

3.) Open the story window and add a "Reach Marker Dialog"

4.) Under the place components section, select the marker and place it somewhere on the Target Map

5.) Go back to the Story window and a new Map Transition Dialogue (Yeah! The pink one!) has been created. In order for the map transition to fire effectively add a "Pop-up" dialogue before the Map Transition and after the "Reach Marker Dialog"

Space/ Space Interior (bridges) to Ground

For Beam affect to occur the transition must be between a space map/ or interior map or two ground maps

1.) Create Source Interior Map like a bridge

2.) Create Target Ground Map

3.) Open the story window and add a "Reach Marker Dialog"

4.) Under the place components section, select the marker and place it somewhere on the Target Map

5.) Go back to the Story window and a new Map Transition Dialogue has been created. In order for the map transition to fire effectively add a "Pop-up" dialogue before the Map Transition and after the "Reach Marker Dialog"

And there you have it, attractive map transitions.
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-23-2011, 12:11 PM
Now - if only they'd allow us some further controls - eg decided if we WANT a warp out or a transporter effect. In the mission I'm working on now, I have a Breifing Room map. When done, I have dialogue that the captain is going back to the bridge (and I map transfer to space as that's the next part that th player has to now go into with the ship.)

I dislike that after clicking 'Return To Bridge' - my Captain and his party all 'beam out' (and yes, I realize that this happens even in Cryptic made missions like their First Contact Diplomacy, etc; so it's not like it's anything major (Ie that someone will mark me down for in a review. ) Still, I think it would be nice if the author (hell including cryptic authors and their content) could specify "No Beam out animation" or "No Warp out/Warp in" animation - and still just allow us to do a map transfer.
Lt. Commander
# 3
09-21-2011, 01:14 PM
I have a problem with some of my planned map tarnsitions.
1. I wanted the player to return from a custom interior map ( thst should appear as a part of DS9) to return to the social DS9 map, after completing the tasks in the custom map. In order to perfom that I added a task, that the player should talk to a contact on the cryptic DS9 map. Unfortunally the only way to do that seems to be that the player has to return to the ship and then dock at DS9 from space. Is there another way to create this transition?

2. The second problem I have is the following: After talking to the contact on DS9, I wanted the player to fly to a custom space map via sector space. In order to perform that, I added a task, where the player has to reach a marker placed on the custom map and chose a "door" from the sector map to enter the custom map from.
When I previewed my mission, my avatar talked to the contact on DS9 and recieved the task to head to the custom system. I let the avatar beam back to space and found my char back on his ship in DS9 space. So far, so good, but now comes the problem: I pressed the button to warp out of the system, but the ship didnīt warped out, but the avatar returned to DS9 in front of the contact, where the avatar left DS9.
Did anyone made equal expierences with map transistions? Could anyone tell me, what I did wrong?
Lt. Commander
# 4
09-22-2011, 07:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsman View Post
...[snip] I dislike that after clicking 'Return To Bridge' - my Captain and his party all 'beam out' (and yes, I realize that this happens even in Cryptic made missions like their First Contact Diplomacy, etc; so it's not like it's anything major (Ie that someone will mark me down for in a review. ) [snip]...
I've actually had people mark me down for this very reason (ready room back to bridge).