Lt. Commander
# 31
08-25-2011, 02:13 AM
@Nishka

I can understand both points completely and I do not have any problem with either voice or text chat so that will not be a problem whatsoever.

Although it is hard to text and fight, in my case but I am sure I can manage.

@Jolan'tru(Alextar)

Mike Barnette, or Vendebta as he is known amongst the crew since we have all taken on nick names mine being Dirty Steel (another long story, but nothing bad), but V met his wife on Earth while attending a science conference in Texas. As a matter of fact his step son has been accepted to the academy and serves upon the WARTOWN for his 4th year training as a cadet. But once he met Barbra, he fell for her hard from our understanding. V is half human and half Romulan himself, and even though it was hard and still hard sometimes to fit in with the crew only because he says some of the weirdest stuff and completely off the wall. But the crew trusts him with their lives, as do myself. He is an important member of my crew and invaluable. I couldn't imagine not having him on my ship and his Romulan knowledge and understanding has greatly improved our deflector performance and is one heck of a ground medic but he fancies himself on being more into computer science and cybernetic microbiology. He is a genius. He is a credit to your race and people.

When I told him about you he immediately had an idea to have you and your Senior staff over for Dinner, he said he knows some dishes he is well known for back in Texas he thinks you and your crew will enjoy. He says something about it being Romulan BBQ, I don't know what that means exactly but I m looking for our two peoples breaking bread together and we will be sure to leave our two factions differences at the door, even though I know here in 2410 its not as bad as it was in 2395 and earlier, I think it would be nice to have two Captains from both of our factions sitting across the table from one another if not for the sake of peace and some good ole Romulan BBQ.

Again, we look forward to our meeting and wish you and your crew long life and prosperity.

=/\=
Lt. Commander
# 32
08-25-2011, 03:23 AM
Quote:
I can understand both points completely and I do not have any problem with either voice or text chat so that will not be a problem whatsoever.

Although it is hard to text and fight, in my case but I am sure I can manage.
We have an easy solution for that.

We simply don't rp during combat and focus on the fight instead, which is actually a form of RPing too. RP isn't only dialogue, but also actions. I don't see two soldiers in Afganistan have an entire conversation about their mission when they're under fire and trying hard to stay alive. It's more likely that they'd duck for cover and start shooting back. :p

We usually run the in-game missions we rp on Hard mode too to make it more interesting. Otherwise you simply blaze through the mission, with hard mode on it feels at least realistic and if you make a mistake your character can end up with an injury, which adds to the RP too.
Lt. Commander
# 33
08-25-2011, 10:02 AM
Quote:
I was probably one of those people
Can I ask a question, (other than "can I ask a question?") is all RP on STO done through text chat and not n game viox or TS?
Either way I do appreciate the invite and add me or send me your info so I can add you.
I am not sure if anyone answered your question yet. I am at work so I just wanted to respond with IMP. I think that RP is what you make it. Being creative or just being in a fleet is a kind of RP like Nishka said. There are some fleets that do it up “right” where you are always in-character like “Daedalus RP Community” all the way to a super relaxed fleet like the 12th. Or other fleets do it all and have a RP division for those in the fleet that like to RP. Great mixes out there!

There are some people out there that believe that RP should only be text and that people that use voice are non-RP’ers or hacks. IMO RP started back when a group of people were in front of each other and talking in character and it only went to ‘chat’ when the technology caught up to it. Then we used that tool. We have only been able to fully take advantage of voice technology (that is cheap) only recently. So now we have more options. Some people say “well I am not an actor so I am uncomfortable with voicing my character” or another problem would be a female character when you are male or vice versa. I can see that but then again there are some people that can’t type or not able to show expressions with typing.

That being said I think that there can be a healthy mix and it would be really cool one day if the voice changing software where you could make your voice sound like anyone you want
Lt. Commander
# 34
08-25-2011, 11:27 AM
@Nishka

Makes sense completely, and after I read your post I thought about slapping myself in the back of the head and audibly saying "DUH", lol. Thats just made sense and I should have thought about that as I asked the question although I have seen and played with people who can fight and type like champs. It almost stresses me out in a STF when I feel like I have to respond, because if someone was talking to me I feel like I should at least respond. But some people are good at it so I was thinking its easy to do but I just havent got the hang of it yet.

I like playing on Elite, especially space combat. If I am on STO, or here on the forums, I am in character I guess you might say. That is because the character was designed after myself (as is my BOffs as I might have already stated before) so even on ground I clear rooms, I cover the groups rear as we move up, and I (my character who is a Tactical Officer with history in Tactics and Strategies if you read my personnel file ) will move accordingly.

(please see my response and the question I purpose to James Bailey)

@James_Bailey

Someone stated either here or on one of the sites I signed up for from someone's recommendations here, that it is hard for someone who is playing a toon who is from another species but more for someone who is playing a different gender, would be hard to voice RPing. Another "DUH" moment slapped me in the face when I read that and because so I understand completely why text RPing is essential at least till they can make a voice changing software and easy or implemented into the game system for such purposes. I don't know if anyone knows this already, but Playstation has such software for their system so maybe one day, but for now I see why text RPing is essential.

My proposition:
Since my character is based off me personally, can there be a mix of voice and text RPing?

Meaning, are there people who text while some voice RP? Now before yall make me have another "DUH" moment, I know it is hard to do when you can only have 5 in a party but here is more than 5 standing around at Quark's or Drozana etc. But what I am meaning is when on a assignment/mission, and people are in a party system can some Voice RP while others Text RP to responses, comments, etc?

Just to make myself more clear, since my ONE character is based of myself it is not hard to RP him out and now it just comes natural. Keep in mind, STO and the Star Trek Universe is so instilled in my brain, lol, that it comes naturally to me to be talking about something in RL and nonchalantly throw in RP so much so that you might not notice f your not paying attention. I don't know if that makes sense or I am getting my point across.

Here is an example (in voice but translated in text):
(me and some friends are standing around waiting for someone to meet up with us so we can go into a mission or etc.)

Friend: I cant wait till I can get my hands on some mark XI gear or some vary rare mark XII consoles. Hope they release some cool stuff that will be useful.

D.STEEL: My Engineering Chief can't wait till he can get his hands on some mark XII consoles. My Head of Security, is looking forward to being able to create your own ground kits. Me, personally, I just can't wait till the Mark XII quantum torpedoes get installed. Don't get me wrong, I love my phasers but when the enemy's shield drops and those quantums hit.. BOOM.

Other examples:

D.STEEL: Where are we heading?

Friend: Eta Eridani.

D.STEEL: setting a course, and in route. We are about 8 light years out so we should be there shortly.
------------------------------------------------------

Friend: Ok now focus on the transwarp gate!

D.STEEL: Full power to weapons!

(second later)
D.STEEL: We got spheres emerging from the other gate!

Friend: we need to stop the probes.

D.STEEL: WARTOWN is on it, we're on an intercept course.
-------------------------------------------------------

Friend: OH (censored), I am about to die this dang plasma fire....

D.STEEL: I gotcha, sending over engineering teams (hazard emitters then hit engineering teams 2)
-------------------------------------------------------

Friend: Now focus on the boss!

D.STEEL: Roger that,

(pew pew BOOM...we win, YAY!)

Friend: dang all I got was a science kit and I am a Engineer, oh well. Ya'll ready to beam out of here?

D.STEEL: Yeah sure, One to beam up
--------------------------------------------------------

Hopefully I made my point, that I just casually RP or rather I just use Trek terminology when doing almost anything in game. Then you throw in my toon is created after myself that it is not hard to implement my RL into STO.

One more thing about voice RPing is, I LOVE how my toon moves his mouth when I talk (dont now if most notice that when talking using viox your character's mouth move). Makes things more realistic and brings the RPing of my character to a full circle. I will actually move my camera till I can see my character's mouth moves and so I can also see the person I am talking to just to add to the visual treat of communicating with others. I will push to talk even when I type to some one in Drozana, Quark's, etc. even if we are typing just so I can see my mouth move...lol. Its all about the little things and the small details.

So my question is can some voice RP while others text RP? or does that break the etiquette or make me half hack half other?

Still trying to wrap my head around why voice RPers are called "hacks", btw.

Thanks again for all your help and responses.

=/\=
Lt. Commander
# 35
08-25-2011, 11:29 AM
If you're looking for another RP fleet to hang out with, check out Task Force Delta. Link is in the signature
Lt. Commander
# 36
08-25-2011, 11:47 AM
@Sprint01

Thank you, I appreciate the invite and I think I ran into one of your crew mates before because I remember the fleet association. They were good peoples, and I appreciate the invite. Thank you.

=/\=
Lt. Commander
# 37
08-25-2011, 11:51 AM
Good to hear mate. I'll shoot you the channel info if you'd like to keep in touch with the crew
Lt. Commander
# 38
08-25-2011, 11:56 AM
Hello D.STEEL

Well it looks like my work here is done.

Call on me if you ever need a Mercenary.

Good Luck and Happy Gaming
Lt. Commander
# 39
08-25-2011, 12:25 PM
@Bulldog

Thank you, Bulldog. Your help here is greatly appreciated and wont be forgotten.

I offer you the same, in fact I guess we owe you one.
Just know you got a couple on us.

If your ever in need of some Federation assistance, lets say you need help escaping from Rura Penthe or you might need to head back in time to stop an alien invasion...maybe just in need of some medical assistance or some analgesic creme for some borg implants don't hesitate to give us a sub space transmission.

WARTOWN out

=/\=
Lt. Commander
# 40
08-25-2011, 08:03 PM
@Sprint01

I must have missed your post, yes please send me the chat info to keep in touch with the crew. I would like that.

=/\=