Lt. Commander
# 1 Pretty New Here -- Help?
08-24-2011, 09:32 AM
Hi all. I'm still really new here (only been playing for a week or two at this point). I just have a few questions and any advice would be helpful

1. Do we ever get more than 4 officers (not including your playable character)?

2. Are all available missions level appropriate?

3. Umm... just curious (because I don't remember picking this) but why does it say my name is 'muyoryal' ? (my picked username is one name and it says it in some places and muyoryal in others...)

And I'm sure I have more questions, but I'm really forgetful so I'll just add to this if I need to (and anyone else new with questions should feel free to add)

Thanks!

-T'Aikum
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-24-2011, 09:37 AM
1. You can have more than 4 officers, but never more than 4 on your away team.

2. In general yes. You wonīt get missions that are far above your level.

3. Ingame, characters are named like Bob@Smith. The first being the characters name, the second being your account handle. So if you create a second character named Susie it would be like Susie@Smith.
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-24-2011, 09:49 AM
For 1. I only ask because at the moment I have 4 officers and every time I can get a new officer, they're only able to train a current officer. I guess my real question is can I have more than 4 officers and pick and choose who's on my away team?

2. I figured as much, but was curious due to some that were pretty difficult.

As for 3. I think I remember picking that name now. I was very confused (and still slightly am), but I think I get it now.

Thanks
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-24-2011, 09:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by muyoryal
For 1. I only ask because at the moment I have 4 officers and every time I can get a new officer, they're only able to train a current officer. I guess my real question is can I have more than 4 officers and pick and choose who's on my away team?

2. I figured as much, but was curious due to some that were pretty difficult.

As for 3. I think I remember picking that name now. I was very confused (and still slightly am), but I think I get it now.

Thanks
The number of active officers you can use on your ship and your away team gets higher while you increase in rank. At LT. itīs just four. At max level you can have at least 2 full sets (8) at once, I think itīs 10...

STOwiki.org is also a good resource on some details.
Lt. Commander
# 5
08-24-2011, 11:14 AM
When you get a new officer, you should have 3 options: Train, Join up, or 'Not now'

If you pick 'Join up', he/she will join your crew and be available for your away team and also be available to sit as one of your bridge officers at a station. If you pick 'train', you can pass along one of his/her skills to one of your existing officers, but then he/she will go away after the training. If you pick 'not now', he/she will sit in your unassigned list until you decide what to do with him/her.
Lt. Commander
# 6
08-24-2011, 12:48 PM
So I just remembered another question. (NOTE: I'm also new to MMOs)

What exactly is a Fleet?
Lt. Commander
# 7
08-24-2011, 12:50 PM
A fleet is a group of people who join together to make their own sub-league. They share different things by putting them in the Fleet Bank for anyone to use and they often try to play together to help each other out, etc.
Lt. Commander
# 8
08-24-2011, 01:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by muyoryal
So I just remembered another question. (NOTE: I'm also new to MMOs)

What exactly is a Fleet?
A fleet is the STO term for a guild. Just a group of people that join together to play STO. Some benefits of joining a fleet:
1) To have other people to team up/help with missions. Generally speaking, these would be people that you would know (or would get to know), rather than just random players online.
2) To have access to a fleet bank which may have gear to help you out.
3) To have more experienced players give advice on gameplay, builds, equipment, etc.
4) You get an additional costume slot if you join a fleet.
5) To have 'trusted' players handle transactions for you, like if you wanted to transfer energy credits or bridge officers from one character to another.
6) Many fleets have activities for members.
7) To have players that can craft equipment or train bridge officers. Many fleets have 'master crafters' that can craft any craftable item in the game. All you got to do is give them the materials.

Note: A fleet is not the same thing as a 'Fleet Action' mission, like Starbase 24. A fleet action is a mission that usually takes many players to complete. You do not actually have to be part of a 'fleet' to do the mission.

There are many fleets in the game. You can form your own if you have at least 5 people. If you are interested in joining one, you can look in the fleet sub-forums here.:
http://forums.startrekonline.com/forumdisplay.php?f=79

Fleets come in all different flavors. Some are casual. Some are hardcore. Some are large, and some are small. Some have separate websites with their own forums. Some have application or age requirements. Some use voice chat. If you are interested, make sure you find one that is right for you. I would definitely not accept any random fleet invitations in game, as you never know what kind of fleet you are joining.
Lt. Commander
# 9
08-24-2011, 03:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinumbar
Fleets come in all different flavors. Some are casual. Some are hardcore. Some are large, and some are small. Some have separate websites with their own forums. Some have application or age requirements. Some use voice chat. If you are interested, make sure you find one that is right for you. I would definitely not accept any random fleet invitations in game, as you never know what kind of fleet you are joining.
If you are thinking of joining a fleet then this is a really good rule of thumb. You want to join with a group that is a place you want to call home. A social group is more of what a Fleet really is. There are thousands out there so you have the right to look around first.

There are a lot of people that prefer solo play to Fleet play but there are ways of doing both to try it out. You join a fleet with a single character so you can save your other characters for solo play if you want. The universe is really lonely out there but people will chat and answer question in Zone or Local chat so you are not really alone.

Here is the Fleet Administrative Station forum that has some of the fleets listed both Federation Fleets & Klingon Fleet Recruitment.
Or you can do a data base search for fleets in-game by using the "Social" menu.
Lt. Commander
# 10
08-24-2011, 03:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Bailey
There are a lot of people that prefer solo play to Fleet play but there are ways of doing both to try it out. You join a fleet with a single character so you can save your other characters for solo play if you want. The universe is really lonely out there but people will chat and answer question in Zone or Local chat so you are not really alone.
And I would say that most fleets don't REQUIRE fleet play. For example, in our fleet, we are pretty casual. Someone might ask in fleet chat if anyone wants to run 'x.. mission'. Some may say 'Sure!', while others will say, 'no thanks, I'm busy with...y'. No requirements for team vs solo play.