Lt. Commander
# 11
08-24-2011, 05:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperLimited View Post
So long as it's not based on JJ's Derp Trek, I'm all for it. I'm eager to see what becomes of this.
lol...in agreement here as well......
Lt. Commander
# 12
08-24-2011, 05:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Revo
Quote from the article-
If you were your own enemy, who would be victorious?"[/i]

i have no idea what any of that means and neither will the studio. the important questions is are the 'splosions and hot green women?
so and entirely new trek with a major mirror universe presence ? at least thats the vibe i get
Lt. Commander
# 13
08-24-2011, 06:01 PM
The real appeal of the BSG remake and the way SGU was done was that the acting was so much better than what we have had in trek. It might have been a little too "gritty" but you can't deny Robert Carlisle in a Stargate show led to some pretty good acting.

And the guy who played Baltar in the BSG re-do was really interesting to watch until towards the end when he became the self-loathing manipulator of the zealots. When he was just about keeping himself alive and getting laid that character really had something going.

A Trek show where there was some internal conflict every now and then could be interesting. Not to the point of SGU Rush/Young, but maybe have a first officer who doesn't always think the captain is 100 correct. Maybe have a captain with a legitimate shortcoming or character flaw. Being too damn good at your job isn't a character flaw and it makes for somewhat dull tv.
Lt. Commander
# 14
08-24-2011, 06:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD-Youngblood
so and entirely new trek with a major mirror universe presence ? at least thats the vibe i get
Or could be that the Federation isn't all happy-happy joy-joy anymore. "If you were your own enemy, who would be victorious?" could be a splintered Federation civil war type vibe.

And really..the teased premise sounds like the VO of a cheesy movie promo from the 80's.
Lt. Commander
# 15
08-24-2011, 06:11 PM
... i think I could get into a Star Trek: Mirror series!
They could run the whole entire series "Meanwhile" between the Enterprise episode In a Mirror Darkly and the TOS Mirror Mirror.

http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Mirror_universe

There is a just over 100 years of history of the Terran Empire that could be told about. How was Emp-ress Hoshi Sato's reign? How did the 100years more advanced U.S.S. 'I.S.S.' Defiant advantage play out? Why wasn't there more signifacent advances made technologically with the advanced Defiant at their disposal?

And many more questions... Mirror Trek Please!!!!
Lt. Commander
# 16
08-25-2011, 12:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aisling
That propossal thingy about evil wearing the face of a hero makes me think of the Mirror Universe.
I would gladly accept a mirror universe show. In fact, I think i'd enjoy it.
Lt. Commander
# 17
08-25-2011, 01:25 AM
Doubt it happens, trek fans can't agree anymore so one side will like it where the rest will hate it instead of being happy we have trek on TV..

- X -
Lt. Commander
# 18
08-25-2011, 01:33 AM
i dont mind dark and gritty like DS9 but i dont think id want to see one like BSG or SGU. That is pushing it too far and not really what trek is about. bad stuff can happen but it should still be a bright and colourful show with humour and plenty of optimism or it just stops being star trek to me.
Lt. Commander
# 19
08-25-2011, 03:17 AM
I don't think it will be approved this side of the decade. Not with new JJ universe Movies in production. CBS don't want to have to compete with the lore of the blockbuster paramount Cinematic movies I'd imagine.

But what I would like to see is a pitch which includes some collaborative work from as many writers as it takes to ensure a great plotline for the first 3 seasons. So 75 ish episodes of plot which work together so that its not Best of Both worlds one week and Threshold another. Something which has always plagued ST series is the early season writing - common with other genre shows too ofc. But ST has so much riding on it when a new series is released that the rate of failure is quite high.

Given thats too much to ask for writers to do for free, I really think we won't be seeing ST for a long time now outside the Foundry.
Lt. Commander
# 20
08-25-2011, 03:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Revo
i dont mind dark and gritty like DS9 but i dont think id want to see one like BSG or SGU. That is pushing it too far and not really what trek is about. bad stuff can happen but it should still be a bright and colourful show with humour and plenty of optimism or it just stops being star trek to me.
While I would personally like to see a more SGUified StarTrek it ultimately wouldn't work of course. Your very right in that ST is about 'something particular'. It doesn't mean it needs to be happy happy sunshine or word of the day dictionary corner - but one thing it needs to be is accessible. The DS9 war plot was sometimes tricky because of the sequence of events - but they made it work most of the time by basing episodes in a 'time of war' light rather than 'previously on ST' light. So its a fine line.

We have plenty of social issues that could be relevant to ST of today (or rather of 10 years from now when I feel we might see it again on TV). Water/Food crisis, environmental change (we had 8 days of stereotypical sunshine summer this time around in Ireland, out of three months! - roll on bleak winter.), human rights (some people still work for nothing and don't have freedoms to marry who they like for example)...

What I've really enjoyed about ST was the intelligent humor, like the Doctor's quips, Tuvok's one liners, references to Cook, Guinan's mysterious advice, Odo's complex attitude to Quark etc.

When all the things that make trek, trek are working at the same time its a great thing.

I've also started to view episodes of Voyager I'm rewatching with an objective eye. Trying to appreciate if that episode could also make sense as a stand-alone twilight zone episode - and have been quite suprised so far with things like Oblivion, that one where they fly into illusion space monster, um, few others lol *tired*

Brings the point back to accessibility. Like Stargate SG-1 running for 10 years (and 8 or so with the same cast) - every viewer knew what it was all about in the first 5 minutes. The rest is filled in by what their real life knowledge tells them about possible secret stuff being government operated etc.

Anyway, I'm just rambling.