Lt. Commander
# 61
08-27-2011, 10:20 PM
got 5 sensorscans and 5 ss2-3 on me (at the same time) today in various C&H matches that is no more fun and i dont mention the 30 chroniton mines and 15 photonic fleet vessel ..

good night going to sleep now
Lt. Commander
# 62 a possible solution
08-28-2011, 04:25 AM
in an arena, when one team is blowing the other off the map, after the first 4 or 5 kills, this situation should be obvious. IF the weaker team regroups, rather than running one by one back to the killing floor, the stronger team should _consider_ dialing it back a notch or two, taking it easier on the newcomers to give them a chance to learn something from the match. One of the problems with learning is lopsided matches can be over so fast...
Lt. Commander
# 63
08-28-2011, 07:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDrome
This is hitting the nail on the head. Look if I can find me a bunch of people to team with and go the hardcore PvP route I would(thats for another thread though). But the fact is that even if I did have a regular team to roll with and hit up some hardcore match up's I would still occasionally enjoy joining a random que for some casual PvP. As Azurian said it should be about choice. Do I want to roll hardcore today and test my skills or do I just want to log on and play a few casual rounds of PvP and not have to deal with high end teams rolling over me.

This seems to be getting off track as a lot of the responses are now straying into the idea that a seperated que is simply because some people dont want to learn or get better. Thats not the case, again as Azurian said it's about choice and flavor and what you are in the mood to play.

Another thing the random arena que would do is simply ensure that the playing field is even going in. If each team is truly random neither side can claim that they were at a designed disadvantage. Fact is if I make a team of friends and we set our builds to synergize and we know each others weaknesses and strengths and we all have defined roles we are going to enjoy a sizeable advantage over 99% of PUG's and run rough shod over them. And where is the fun in that. If I make a team I want to go up against other pre made teams to truly test my skill not some unfortunate PUG that stands no chance. A seperate que benefits all.
Isn't that exactly what you are asking for? Even in your own post you call it what it is, you wanting to dodge better players than yourself for that day. What happens when those superior players also take to the random team que? What happens when they all end up on the same team?

For that matter, what makes you think they'll shoot each other if they don't? You kill the weakest targets first, and most of us know each other, or know of each other enough to pick them apart from the typical pugger.

A saperate que just divides the player base even further. People in this game in particular as a whole will take the 'easy way out' rather than learn. And there are quite a few nights when there aren't any Teams really going. Also, there are quite a few premades that I've steam rolled while in pugs, obviously those said teams are hardly fit for fighting other Teams.
Lt. Commander
# 64
08-28-2011, 09:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blogul
got 5 sensorscans and 5 ss2-3 on me (at the same time) today in various C&H matches that is no more fun and i dont mention the 30 chroniton mines and 15 photonic fleet vessel ..

good night going to sleep now
I should have asked what you are flying? WIth faster/cloaked ships it's easier to pick your battles. What techniques/strats are you using when you choose your fights? Do you have anti spam Boff options? Were you able to find a player or 2 to organize/team up on the fly with? What escape/gtfo options do you have? Really in C&H depending on your ship/style you shouldn't have to engage a blob fest unless you choose to.
Lt. Commander
# 65
08-28-2011, 01:28 PM
After reading thru this thread again I realize there is a dissconect between newer players who decide to pvp and what they "think" some of the better players are in the q's for. We q up for competion not to stomp everyone we can in the quickest amount of time.

Trust me new players, the existing pvp community wants better matches. I've seen what happened to us over the past 6-8 months. I heard it was just a dismal before that.

So in the spirit of fostering the growth of future pvp fleets I think we should start a thread or sticky listing friendly pvp fleets that can help new players get started. No strings attatched, you can stay if you like, but I think we should do this with the hopes of getting new pvp fleets stared. Not so much pad the ones that exist as of now.

I know the Colonial Fleet will be more than happy to participate even though we have only been together for about 5 months. We have some solid players, and we just would really like to champion the growth of our pvp community.

Any OPVP regular following this thread can go on and start a new thread regarding this idea, if not I'd be happy to once I get home from work. Unless we don't think there is any value to trying this?
Lt. Commander
# 66
08-28-2011, 02:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavairo
What happens when those superior players also take to the random team que? What happens when they all end up on the same team?
As I said I fully accept that on occasion friends and fleeties will find themselves randomly put on a team but in the end it will be far more rare and not by design.

And it's not waning to dodge better players. One on one if I get my hull handed to me I have no problem. If it was a challenge que yeah I accept that some people are better than me and I can get better and improve and maybe beat that guy that keeps steamrolling over me. But a team environment is completely different. No mater how good I am I cannot beat a team. And no matter how good I am I cannot control the content of my PUG and the content of the pre-made team across the lines. I'm just asking for the ability to have more control over that. So no it's not dodging better players it's dodging an unfair advantage.
Lt. Commander
# 67
08-28-2011, 03:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDrome
As I said I fully accept that on occasion friends and fleeties will find themselves randomly put on a team but in the end it will be far more rare and not by design.

And it's not waning to dodge better players. One on one if I get my hull handed to me I have no problem. If it was a challenge que yeah I accept that some people are better than me and I can get better and improve and maybe beat that guy that keeps steamrolling over me. But a team environment is completely different. No mater how good I am I cannot beat a team. And no matter how good I am I cannot control the content of my PUG and the content of the pre-made team across the lines. I'm just asking for the ability to have more control over that. So no it's not dodging better players it's dodging an unfair advantage.
And what you're asking for is impossible. As you'll still get stuck with hardened pvpers on one end, and people that can't or won't even balance their shields on the other.

The best way for your situation to improve, for everyone's is for the Jim Kirks, and Picard knockoffs to step up their game, and stop thinking that PvP should play just like PvE does. With them winning, with nary a hit point lost, and a smoking ruin on the other end in short order.

Randomizing teams, isn't going to prevent the slaughter fests. All it will do is tick off the Premade players because they won't get a pop but -maybe- once every thirty minutes or so, or get stuck fighting the same Team over and over and over again. What you are asking for basically, is going to create an even more boring situation for the Premades out there than it already is.

I can't speak for everyone else in the varying Teams out there but I can safely speak for myself, I'd be bored silly, if I had to fight SOB, TSI, or LF and only them, match after match. (win or lose) Half the fun of quing is not knowing exactly whom you will be up against.

Hell, most of us are bored silly of winning 15 and 0 I think at this point because the Space Bar Heroes can't fight worth anything and bring ships that even my Delta Flyer could stand a decent chance at taking out. At this point, I've been in STO less and less, because I'm bored even in pvp. At this point I'm finding more challenge and excitement playing RIFT's PVE than I am STO PvP because most of the players are frankly just that terrible.
Lt. Commander
# 68
08-28-2011, 05:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainHorizon
Trust me new players, the existing pvp community wants better matches. I've seen what happened to us over the past 6-8 months. I heard it was just a dismal before that.
Could you elaborate on this a bit, please? The what happened over the last 6-8 months part?
Lt. Commander
# 69
08-28-2011, 05:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quark_Kent View Post
Could you elaborate on this a bit, please? The what happened over the last 6-8 months part?
well, back in the day..i guess...when i was just a lil pvp hatchling, folks round here would tell stories of monster viral matrix's and other such sci powers ruling the land. and so the battle to nerf-n-balance was to begin...or so i thought...turns out such a war had been waged for eons.

i then witnessed first hand the wrath of the battle. 8 beam array cruisers running emergency power to weapons and 3 copies of fire at will.... utter fawball devistation....this is where i "cut my teeth" so to say.

and the undeniable constant driving power of sto pvp as we know it? what the people decide is defined as "spam" You can win by coordinating a lot of differing powers, as long as you have the pilots and knowhow to do so. thus "black listed" powers and the such arose, out of respect for one another, the fleets decided on a set list of powers that when overused...was deemed exploiting.

some fleets adhere, some do not.

the cycle seems to continue. and we lose more brave warriors everyday. and that is why you see so many references in the forums of our dying community. im just 9 months into pvp, but i have a feeling everyone will be seeing me in the q's for some time to come....

i just wish more of our brothers in arms would return to battle. they were lost to unjust causes.

see you on the battlefield.
Lt. Commander
# 70
08-29-2011, 01:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainHorizon
well, back in the day..i guess...when i was just a lil pvp hatchling, folks round here would tell stories of monster viral matrix's and other such sci powers ruling the land. and so the battle to nerf-n-balance was to begin...or so i thought...turns out such a war had been waged for eons.

i then witnessed first hand the wrath of the battle. 8 beam array cruisers running emergency power to weapons and 3 copies of fire at will.... utter fawball devistation....this is where i "cut my teeth" so to say.
Trust me, the Viral MAtrix situation was worse. Imagine being stunned for something like a minute or so, unable to do anything while your enemy slowly killed you. You couldn't even run or shoot back!

Quote:
the cycle seems to continue. and we lose more brave warriors everyday. and that is why you see so many references in the forums of our dying community. im just 9 months into pvp, but i have a feeling everyone will be seeing me in the q's for some time to come....
The cycle might continue, but I think it's more a spiral - the imbalances grow smaller most of the time. Though the issue remains that nothing new comes, no new game modes, no new maps.

Quote:
i just wish more of our brothers in arms would return to battle. they were lost to unjust causes.

see you on the battlefield.
Old players will probably not return for some balance adjustments, I think. They need new PvP "content", e.g. new game modes and map, something to make PvP feel "new" again.