Lt. Commander
# 81
09-05-2011, 12:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstAngelus View Post
For most other Klingons all of that are just phrases wich gives them reasons to randomly start a fight, they dont really care about what Khaless said
That's kind of harsh and, in my personal opinion, an extreme viewpoint. Whilst there certainly are many Klingons that do as you say, I do not believe them to be the norm. Just like with the comparison to religion: Though I agree that there are many extremists who have twisted and warped the meaning of the various faiths, I do not believe the majority of religious people to be willing to strap bombs to their chests or burn unbelievers on a pyre. The average people fall somewhere in-between the true followers and extremist thugs, truly believing in the concepts they were taught but still having weaknesses that may or may not make them fall "a little" from grace in everyday life.

It's really not like Worf never met likeminded people - just look at General Martok - but even if it were not so, we have to remember that TV rarely shows a given culture's average people, especially in cases where they are antagonists. Few episodes in Trek such as "Soldiers of the Empire" from DS9 actually allowed a proper glimpse at Klingon culture.

There was what I consider a fitting description of the issue in an article that was originally written for a never published Klingon RPG sourcebook. Let me quote the relevant passages from the pages about potential narratives:

The Klingon Empire is old and, in some ways, brittle. The Klingons themselves are prideful, and when pride goeth before a Klingonís fall, that fall is often hidden behind a web of lies. Fools, as Klingon proverbs teach, do not survive their folly, but they often manage to take many others with them when they go, and the weakness of a few has invited corruption into the heart of the Empire. [...]

Those who are corrupted are often tired, aging Klingons in positions of military or governmental authority, surviving in positions of power through manipulative political means, rather than as honorable warriors and leaders. Filled with self-loathing and well aware of their own weaknesses, they are corrupted because they are too tired, or too scared, to face the consequences of a more honorable approach to their loss of strength. Such characters are powerful because they are both dangerous and sad Ė many were once well respected, and the Crew may have to come to grips with tearing down an "idol" of sorts. Since such things must be done in a way that preserves the honor of the Empire and affected families if possible, this can add an additional wrinkle to the plot. Other potential candidates for corruption include the mirror image of the above: Young, brash Klingons who reject the ancient traditions and seek a quick path to power or glory are often seen indulging their weaknesses, and entirely unexpected sources of corruption (the faithful family handmaiden, the respected old historian and batíleth instructor) can add an extra flavor of conspiracy to an episode. See what happens if the Crewís own commander succumbs to weakness! This makes for a good (if somewhat tragic and bittersweet) scenario when the Narrator decides that itís time the Crew themselves earn command of their vessel.

The outside, corrupting force can be as dramatic as a bed of Romulan spies, or as simple as a shipment of weapons that tempts the corrupted into taking dishonorable action. The corrupter can also be another Klingon, possibly the next "layer" in a web of corruption leading deeper into the halls of power. The corrupting element, whether itís an inanimate object or a cunning villain, seldom has any motives in common with the corrupted. If it has any motives at all, they are selfish and dangerous. In some stories, the corrupter is the "real" villain of the tale.
Lt. Commander
# 82
09-05-2011, 08:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstAngelus View Post
For most other Klingons all of that are just phrases wich gives them reasons to randomly start a fight, they dont really care about what Khaless said.....
Depends...

For most player Klingons I think that that's true, but for RPing Klingons and the general Klingons of Lore I think that that's not true.

The teachings and ideals of Kahless shaped the Empire, and the very thing that is central to their society (Honor) was handed down by Kahless. But over the many centuries since he left the Empire, ideals have faded and corruption has taken hold in some, as Valias very clearly pointed out why that happens in some cases.

Ironically, the Empire, under J'mpok, is running the risk of falling even further from the teachings of Kahless (and in my opinion already has).....