Lt. Commander
# 11
08-27-2011, 10:15 PM
FAW is fine now, with the exception of scramble + FAW hitting cloaked ships.
Lt. Commander
# 12
08-27-2011, 11:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedJedi
A slight variation on this was something suggested when JHeinig was tweaking the power, in making the effect a 'Beam: Rapid Fire' kind of effect, if a target was selected, but, if you un-selected all targets (or targeted a friendly, say, for Healing), it would fire with the random targeting that has always been used by some aspect of FAW, this would allow the power to serve as either a boost to damage on a focus target, or allow spam-clearing, as it always has.

The argument against a change such as this: "We think that it would be too counter-intuitive for the majority of players..." Okay, so, the argument is that you don't think the players are 'smart' enough to figure out, both how it works and how to benefit from it?

With all versions of FAW, I have frequently de-selected targets, to facilitate spam-clearing, maybe I just don't feel that it's all that 'counter-intuitive'...

-BRJ
ive made that exact suggestion my self, i just didn't feel like typing all the details again.
Lt. Commander
# 13
08-28-2011, 05:02 PM
I believe the current FAW is good; there still some work that needs to be done on how it reacts quickly to cloaked vessels. I've still seen some comments that its still hitting cloak vessels when the one firing did not have the stealth detection to see them.

The argument on damage boost seems a bit flawed though. Any AoE will have a decent amount of overall damage if the AoE does the same base damage at its single counter part. We see this in CSV and Torpedoes. If you were able to put 10 fighters hugging each other's hull, a single quantom would deal massive damage overall, but not on an individual base.

Also, I think we will see FaW used less often once Torpedoes get fixed up and become an incentive to Cruisers to use more often.
Lt. Commander
# 14
08-28-2011, 06:59 PM
Meh, I want old-old FaW back. (post DBB fix, pre Snix mutant-freak version) :p
Lt. Commander
# 15
08-28-2011, 07:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock_Monster View Post
rock in his cruiser again?!? get in cover
Lt. Commander
# 16
08-28-2011, 10:30 PM
If I were to make a change it would be to bump it up a level to be in line with CSV while keeping the beam target subsystems as ensigns, or drop CSV down to an ensign skill while keeping CRF where it is. It's more a feeling than anything else that if a captain should have an option to fill a Lt boff's slots w/2x FaW they should have the same for CSV or neither for both. To me the lesser range and hit ratio of cannons may be (or should be) close enought to balance out the lesser damage of FaW and short range dps of beams in general.

Edit: To address the OPs concern the ability to run FaW at ensign makes it easier to spam on a greater variety of ships. Making it a minimum of Lt for FaW 1 would address this to a degree.
Lt. Commander
# 17
08-28-2011, 10:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamid
Edit: To address the OPs concern the ability to run FaW at ensign makes it easier to spam on a greater variety of ships. Making it a minimum of Lt for FaW 1 would address this to a degree.
i approve of this, only if it was made a single target beam rapid fire. scatter volley should be an ensign skill for how useful it is and the minimal damage buff you get.
Lt. Commander
# 18
08-29-2011, 01:08 AM
The devs have better things to do than dicking around with FAW yet again. It's fairly good now, and any further adjustment will probably hurt balance knowing Cryptic's track record.
Lt. Commander
# 19
08-29-2011, 03:55 AM
I did not see the OP list that FAW can now miss the target. Before, FAW never missed... ever

So they reduced the time 33% and then added in the ability for the power to miss. That is a HUGE change in performance

I think it is fine now. *with the exception of the cloaked issue*

So it does some damage. It is not burst damage. Damage numbers mean NOTHING in PvP if you can't kill your target. The best a FAW user can hope for is that magical 1 on 1 scenario.... but now with the changes, it is not even close to being what it was before.

It works. It is not OP. Sorry it does damage.. because we all know there should not be a single ability a cruiser can use that should increase damage .. and the damage is NOT burst.. but slow methodical over-time damage.

20,000 Focused burst damge > 40,000 damage spread out over multiple targets.

People focus on the wrong things.
Lt. Commander
# 20
08-29-2011, 04:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock_Monster View Post
Why was that even changed?