Lt. Commander
If so how's the game play? I've been debating if I'm going to wipe and install Linux (probably Debian). But, rather than dual boot, I'd like to just run STO and other programs which are design for Windows in WINE. Has anyone done this with good experiences? Do any Devs see any gotchas, or reason to avoid this?

Thanks.
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-28-2011, 03:01 AM
I have been running STO on linux now for over a year and i think its very good and stable.

You have to have the appropriate drives for you card, Im running kubuntu - a ubuntu variant - with nvidia card in my laptop, so I have to have the propriatary nvidia drivers but they work very well.

If you look at this forum post, there are some information about how to install and run STO under wine.

My installation is basically the latest wine, and the ie6 installed via winetricks, and i get 4 error when i start the program and patching, but just clicking continue makes it work. All things in game works as far as I know.

So I'm very happy with running it under wine.

Should perhaps mention that sometimes the patching hangs and leaves huge partially downloaded files that kind of blocks the patching/download. Se my blog post about that.
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-28-2011, 09:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jansaell View Post
I have been running STO on linux now for over a year and i think its very good and stable.

You have to have the appropriate drives for you card, Im running kubuntu - a ubuntu variant - with nvidia card in my laptop, so I have to have the propriatary nvidia drivers but they work very well.

If you look at this forum post, there are some information about how to install and run STO under wine.

My installation is basically the latest wine, and the ie6 installed via winetricks, and i get 4 error when i start the program and patching, but just clicking continue makes it work. All things in game works as far as I know.

So I'm very happy with running it under wine.

Should perhaps mention that sometimes the patching hangs and leaves huge partially downloaded files that kind of blocks the patching/download. Se my blog post about that.
Thanks for the info.
Lt. Commander
# 4
09-15-2011, 10:04 AM
I haven't been playing it long under Wine, but so far, very good. Here's how I installed mine in Ubuntu 10.04 (with restricted extras installed - not sure if that makes a difference):
-Using proprietary nvidia graphics driver (latest stable release as of this post)
-Downloaded the STO installer torrent file (don't try to use the game downloader program Crypic has on the website)
-Installed the latest Wine and Winetricks from the official Wine PPA (https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-wine/+archive/ppa)
-Install IE8 using Winetricks (Terminal-> sh winetricks ie8 When installer starts, don't have it check for updates, amd when it's done, have it "restart now")
-Run the STO installer using Wine, ignoring errors as long as the installer continues (I think the errors are caused by it opening IE and taking you to the product key page. If you need the page, open it up using your native web browser and enter the key in that way.
-Let it patch.
-When running the launcher, it'll complain it doesn't pass the performance test, and I always run it in low graphics mode, especially since I'm on a laptop - I haven't tried it out on a beefier computer yet)
-I run mine in Windows-Maximized. I get glitchy camera control unless I have it set to this. Also, if I accidentally "shrink" the window from being maximized, the glitch returns and I have to exit the game. It's not that big of a problem.
-When I first launched it, I had no sound. I had to go to the audio settings menu and manually specify my analog audio device (it defaulted to none). Once that was done and I restarted the game, sound was back.

I was originally going to use Crossover Games, since they promoted compatibility with this game pretty highly, but seeing that it works well enough with plain Wine, I've saved myself some money.

As I mentioned above, I'm running it in Low Graphics mode, and while it does a good job, it's not perfect. I need to test this same build on an actual gaming computer instead of this laptop to see if it's a Wine performance issue, or just a hardware one. I have also not tested it on newer versions of Ubuntu yet.
Ensign
# 5
09-02-2012, 01:57 PM
has anyone got a good guide to getting this working?

i have playonlinux installed with IE8 and STO but i get to the launcher and cannot patch.

it will open the C store but the patch button doesnt work and nothing in the box in the lower left corner.

help much appreciated

also using Mint 13 cinnamon.

okay, so kind of got somewhere.

getting this on crash (from debug)

Quote:
err:winediag:X11DRV_WineGL_InitOpenglInfo Direct rendering is disabled, most likely your OpenGL drivers haven't been installed correctly
fixme:d3d_caps:wined3d_guess_card_vendor Received unrecognized GL_VENDOR "X.Org". Returning HW_VENDOR_NVIDIA.
fixme:d3d_caps:select_card_nvidia_mesa Card selection not handled for Mesa Nouveau driver
X Error of failed request: GLXBadRenderRequest
Major opcode of failed request: 154 (GLX)
Minor opcode of failed request: 1 (X_GLXRender)
Serial number of failed request: 187152
Current serial number in output stream: 187153

Last edited by secretreeve; 09-02-2012 at 02:13 PM.
Ensign
# 6
09-03-2012, 12:21 PM
bump anyone know how to get it working?
Ensign
# 7
09-06-2012, 04:47 PM
still need help with this
Survivor of Remus
# 8
09-06-2012, 05:03 PM
this is a dead post make a new one