Lt. Commander
# 1 Reinstalling OS
08-29-2011, 03:11 PM
I will soon be upgrading my computer, and will need to migrate as much setup data as possible. I have already created exports of my gamepad (belkin n52te) & mouse files (razor naga mmo), my space, rpg, and shooter mode keybinds. Can anyone think of any other STO related data that needs to be migrated prior to the reinstall? Is there any kind of UI files that need to be backed up?
Lt. Commander
# 2 More info
08-29-2011, 03:18 PM
Just to clarify I used the following to backup my keybinds while in each mode:

/bind_save_file fileName.txt

Thus I have three files

Space.txt
RPG.txt
Shooter.txt

Do the /bind_save_file and /bind_load_file commands still work?
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-29-2011, 03:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidous
Do the /bind_save_file and /bind_load_file commands still work?
Yes, also though be sure to go to the HUD tab and click Save UI. This creates a fourth file names uisettings.txt.

Load it using the Load UI button when the file is in the install directory to reload your UI settings.

Your screenshots folder also may be something you want to save.

Keep in mind though, you may not need to reload any of these settings as much of the UI / Keybind settings are saved on the sever. The files are just user-end created backups for editing and restoration purposes.
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-29-2011, 03:53 PM
Ahh missing piece of the puzzle. Thank you.
Lt. Commander
# 5
08-29-2011, 04:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidous
Ahh missing piece of the puzzle. Thank you.
No problem, good luck with the murdering of your OS and it's reincarnation! I know I always feel a bit like a god when I do reinstall my OS... I bring you death and I bring you life!

If you're going the full death and reincarnate route, don't forget abut your partition(s)!
Lt. Commander
# 6
08-29-2011, 05:26 PM
Oh it more than just the partition. I am migrating from a 80Gb HD to a .5 Tb. Plus going from XP to Windows 7, and Linux Mint 9 to 11. No new other hardware though
Lt. Commander
# 7
08-31-2011, 03:25 AM
Why don't you just backup whole STO folder?
Lt. Commander
# 8 Copy folder!!
08-31-2011, 04:44 AM
Just copy the folder where the game is installed ( my is C:\Program Files\Cryptic Studios ) , to a backup device ( external disk ...) and after reinstall OS copy back to the PC disk. Everythink will be ok nothink missing , no game reinstall , no patching !!!!. ( have donit also to transer the game to one other PC ).

Have fun.
Sebastian.
Lt. Commander
# 9 From beyond the grave....
08-31-2011, 07:50 PM
Well the two last posts were too late for the backup, and I am a big fan of a 'total reinstall'. Regardless I am 92.5% complete at downloading S4 updates. Gamepad (n52te) and mouse (razer naga) import are fine according to notepad.exe. I have not tried the keybind load or the ui load, but Windows 7 installed fine (drivers etc), and I am currently watching 'TOS: This side of Paradise' while I continue to wait. I will post after the import of keybinds so we all have a log.
Lt. Commander
# 10 Post import from S4 to S4
08-31-2011, 08:37 PM
UI import loaded the settings for names appearing on the UI i.e. ship names, player names, fleets etc...

Resolution needed resetting.
Prepatching resets to prepatch enabled. You have to disable prepatching if you don't like it.
Keybind did not import fine. Sector space was all wrong, so I will manually reset it, and I assume the rest of it is as borked.

... Gonna go kill some sector space Kingons first before I make a final judgement...

Nope all fubar, full impulse is not working right. Manually import is needed... bummer long story short, import is not easy.... next time I will copy...