Lt. Commander
# 41
09-12-2011, 08:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by royobannon View Post
So after reading everything on here, was wondering what you guys would think of my Galaxy-X...

U.S.S. Thorgeirr (Thor's Spear)
  • 1 Phaser BA Mk XI [Acc][Dmg]x2, 2 Phaser DBB Mk XI [Acc][Dmg]x2, 1 Quantum Torp Launcher Mk XI [Acc][Dmg]x2
  • Full Aegis Set
  • 3 Phaser BA Mk XI [Acc][Dmg]x2, 1 Quantum Torp Launcher Mk XI [Acc][Dmg]x2
  • RMC, SFM, Scorpion FIghters, Shield Batteries
  • Neutronium Alloy Mk XI, Field Generator Mk XI, EPS Flow Regulator Mk XI, RCS Accelerator Mk XI
  • Induction Stabilizer Mk XI, Halon System Mk XI
  • 2 DE Distribution Manifold Mk XI
  • WPNS: 75 (89)
  • SHLD: 60 (84)
  • ENGN: 40 (54)
  • AUXL: 25 (42)
  • Tactical ENS: THY I
  • Tactical LT: FAW I, BO II
  • Engineer CMDR: EPtW I, RSP I, EPtS III, DEM III
  • Engineer LTC: EPtE I, EngT II, EPtS III
  • Science LT: SciT I, HE II

I have all of the pertinent cruiser starship skills at 7 except Exploration Cruiser and Assault Cruiser, which are at 9. Beam and Phaser weapons are at 9, as well as Torp and Quantum weapons. I have all of the Efficiency skills at 9, as well as Shield and Weapon Performance.

I try and run the cloak, set up my arch for the DBB's , HYT and the Phaser Lance, and afterwards treat her like my Galaxy-R, running broadsides and throwing salvos at the terminals of my Figure 8. Everything I have fitted I farmed and crafted myself. I have not found a decent group to run the STF's yet for my Assimilated gear. I have the Console and the Engine, but that's it. Plus, the Aegis stuff is amazing for my tank, I love it.
Efficient only works if your power level is lower than 75, so weapons and shields efficient skill points are being wasted.
Lt. Commander
# 42
09-12-2011, 09:53 AM
Quote:
Yeah, I'm in a fleet, and we're gearing up to start doing weekly STF runs, so hopefully my Assimilated gear will be complete soon.

So... a good change would be Assimilated Impulse Engines, Assimilated Shield Array, Deflector Array Mk XI [Def] [DefF] [HS], and swap out my Induction Stabilizer for the Assimilated Console?

Or should I stick with the Assimilated Deflector Array? Is the Tractor Beam that good to have?

Also, do my skills and power levels look good? What about my BOff powers?
I like my Aegis engines and deflector, they both give bonus' to my ships overall maneuverabilty. The Borg engines are okay. The really only benefit me in space with the Warp 14 speed, I usually switch between them in sector space vs combat missions. As far as the tractor beam goes, most of my buddies that have all four Borg peices aren't really impressed with it. I myself use Tractor Beam one on my primary science boff, so I don't really need it.
Lt. Commander
# 43
09-12-2011, 10:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone1970 View Post
Efficient only works if your power level is lower than 75, so weapons and shields efficient skill points are being wasted.
Actually, you're half-right, and I just noticed that. The Shields are fine, as 60<75, but I might drop Weapons to 70 and move Shields up to 65. Should help a bit with the tank, so cheers for the good spot!
Lt. Commander
# 44
09-14-2011, 11:47 AM
Quote:
Actually, you're half-right, and I just noticed that. The Shields are fine, as 60<75, but I might drop Weapons to 70 and move Shields up to 65. Should help a bit with the tank, so cheers for the good spot!
Just remember, power distribution shieldwise works with regen' not capacity. I tend to run my weapons to end up around the 110 mark on my cruisers. Sometimes a good punch to the nose can make the bad guys target something else.
Lt. Commander
# 45
09-14-2011, 12:39 PM
Personally, I find that maxing out every skill you put points in spreads oneself very thin. Plus, the benefits beyond 7 are not all that great, in my opinion, compared to how much training them that high costs and how you will be under-skilled in many areas.

I usually only max certain skills that allow me to train tier III abilities - but only the ones I want to train. Otherwise, they only go up to 7. The rest, depending on how often I use any related abilities or weapons, are either trained to 2, 4 or 7. This allows me to have more bonuses to more abilities rather than being focused on just a few things as well as allows me to be well skilled in both ground and space, instead of just space.

Check this sticky out: http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=166361

This is the skill set I plan on respecing Zeryn to: (Note, it is a torpedo-less beam boat.)
http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?...readBeamBoat_0

I might switch up the weapon-types, as mixing Phaser can be a pain on power or just stick to phaser. Not sure yet.

I personally, would drop cannons all-together and is the same reason I am dropping torpedos. Our turn rate is slow slow, we'll be doing more damage (over time) by keeping our sides facing the enemy and firing 8 lasers.

I'm waiting to respec to see how much the venture pack costs because I was a glutton for respecing and used up all my free respecs plus two C-Store respecs trying to find the "right build for me." I was stupid and didn't try things out first on Tribble. Now, I'll either be forced to play how I am (don't like it) or wait for another free respec or buy an over-priced C-Store respec or grind for eons trying to get the insane 30k merits (currently have 5k-ish - glutton for ship/boff renaming...).

Gods (Devs / Q), I just wish respecing was based off of how much you respec and not an insane flat-rate based on rank.

Comments on my BOff Ability choices are welcome. I am a PvE player, I do not PvP. All but one of my BOffs are Efficient as is Zeryn.
Lt. Commander
# 46
09-14-2011, 01:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Zebular
Personally, I find that maxing out every skill you put points in spreads oneself very thin. Plus, the benefits beyond 7 are not all that great, in my opinion, compared to how much training them that high costs and how you will be under-skilled in many areas.

I usually only max certain skills that allow me to train tier III skills - but only the ones I want to train. Otherwise, they only go up to 7. The rest, depending on how often I use any related abilities or weapons, are either trained to 2, 4 or 7. This allows me to have more bonuses to more abilities rather than being focused on just a few things as well as allows me to be well skilled in both ground and space, instead of just space.

Check this sticky out: http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=166361
I'm not sure if you're reponding to OP or my post, but I agree with you, and made sure I looked over that thread when I came back to playing. I only pop trainable skills that I might want, or skills that offer a secondary bonus (like the Efficiency skills) to 9. Everything else is 7. It is amazing how much more there is to spread around when you do that.
Lt. Commander
# 47
09-14-2011, 01:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by whamhammer View Post
Just remember, power distribution shieldwise works with regen' not capacity. I tend to run my weapons to end up around the 110 mark on my cruisers. Sometimes a good punch to the nose can make the bad guys target something else.
I ran some of the figures in-game, and this is essentially what I have going:

WPN: 70 (86)
SHD: 65 (87)
ENG: 40 (62)
AUX: 25 (46)

Pretty sure that's what it was (I'm away from home at the moment), and that is with Aegis installed. Finally ran Infected and Cure last night with my fleet mates and a kindly gentleman who guided us through, so now I have 3 of the four pieces. Hopefully I can run through Khitomer Accords tonight for the shield, then I can start running numbers with different setups.

I like the idea of running my guns over 100, and that's why I have EPtW III and I, but obviously I can't have them running hot all the time. Mostly I run them at 70 unless I'm in my forward arc, then I pop EPtW to kick it above 100, giving me that extra punch. Pretty sure with EPtW III my Lance hits for nigh 21k damage (tooltip). I usually hit for 7-8k with EPtW III, my DBB's and BO II.
Lt. Commander
# 48
09-14-2011, 01:51 PM
Quote:
I'm not sure if you're reponding to OP or my post, but I agree with you, and made sure I looked over that thread when I came back to playing. I only pop trainable skills that I might want, or skills that offer a secondary bonus (like the Efficiency skills) to 9. Everything else is 7. It is amazing how much more there is to spread around when you do that.
I didn't read much of the replies, was mostly responding to the OP but in general to anyone who maxes out as many skills as they can.

Yes, it is quite amazing how you can get so many more boosts to all the other abilities we use if we do not max every skill we spend points in.

Looking at your reply time-stamp and my last edit time-stamp, just wanted to let you know I've edited my post for typos and added a link to an example of my future beam-boat dreadnought.
Lt. Commander
# 49
09-14-2011, 01:55 PM
Just to reiterate, always copy* your latest character over to Tribble before major respecs and respec there then play there for about a day before you decide and possibly waste a respec token, like I failed to do.

Do not let yourself make the mistakes I made and go respec-happy or else you may end up like me with a skill-set that doesn't please you and no way to respec without grinding or buying an overly priced c-store respec.

*You do not need to delete an existing character on tribble before copying over a new one. If you copy over a character that already exists on Tribble, it will create a second copy and add a number on the end! The page says it can take up to 2 hours. Everytime I have copied it over, it has copied immediately.

If you do want to delete characters from Tribble, MAKE SURE YOU'RE ON TRIBBLE FIRST! It would totally suck to delete a character thinking you're on tribble when you accidentally loaded up live server instead. For real!
Lt. Commander
# 50
09-14-2011, 02:52 PM
Quote:
I ran some of the figures in-game, and this is essentially what I have going:

WPN: 70 (86)
SHD: 65 (87)
ENG: 40 (62)
AUX: 25 (46)

Pretty sure that's what it was (I'm away from home at the moment), and that is with Aegis installed. Finally ran Infected and Cure last night with my fleet mates and a kindly gentleman who guided us through, so now I have 3 of the four pieces. Hopefully I can run through Khitomer Accords tonight for the shield, then I can start running numbers with different setups.

I like the idea of running my guns over 100, and that's why I have EPtW III and I, but obviously I can't have them running hot all the time. Mostly I run them at 70 unless I'm in my forward arc, then I pop EPtW to kick it above 100, giving me that extra punch. Pretty sure with EPtW III my Lance hits for nigh 21k damage (tooltip). I usually hit for 7-8k with EPtW III, my DBB's and BO II.
My numbers run

Weaps: 119/100
Shields: 67/30
Engine: 68/45
Aux: 41/25

I make up for the lack of shield power by my TSS II, EPTS I and II as well as my Rechargable Shield Battery.

As far as K.A. goes, friend me (@whamhammer) and you can check up with me and my fleet if we'll run I'm sure we can make room.