Lt. Commander
# 41
09-01-2011, 03:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stegi
It sure does crit alot more but i assume that has something to do with the amount of torps you put out. We been flying around like this all day with 2 - 3 defiants and its somewhat funny what kind of damage a torpspread can do. TS2 of a fleetie hit a carrier for 59.8k damage. Needles to say the carrier was gone instantly.
I do like the oppertunity the tac officers are given with this however for some reason i have the feeling it might be a bit OP. But its fun to have it right now, brings change into the whole SS Scramble madness.
Kar'Fi (or BoP, I guess) is the ideal platform for TS.

125 Aux CPB 3 + Tachyon Beam 3 + Target Shields + sustained fire to keep shields down + Beta + TS 3 = one dead target... and lots of damage to surrounding ones.
Lt. Commander
# 42
09-01-2011, 04:02 PM
Yeah Praxis, I tested almost exactly that setup. I used BO3 &TS2 + GW1 (i have consoles boosting GW already) I didn't respec into CPB or change consoles & still did good damage. It was fun. Now i'm going to finish leveling my Sci, & put him into that Kar-fi build all specced out. GW is kinda cool because you can get all your targets sucked in & then fire CPB & fire the TS, I almost felt bad for the Feds. Almost.
Lt. Commander
# 43
09-01-2011, 04:33 PM
Strangely this might be the most balanced skill cryptic has redone that I can remember. Hm.
Lt. Commander
# 44
09-01-2011, 05:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by amidoinitright View Post
Yeah Praxis, I tested almost exactly that setup. I used BO3 &TS2 + GW1 (i have consoles boosting GW already) I didn't respec into CPB or change consoles & still did good damage. It was fun. Now i'm going to finish leveling my Sci, & put him into that Kar-fi build all specced out. GW is kinda cool because you can get all your targets sucked in & then fire CPB & fire the TS, I almost felt bad for the Feds. Almost.
Interesting, I hadn't even considered BO 3. I was shying away from GW since it shared a CD with Tachyon Beam, but using BO 3 in place of Tachyon and getting GW for added damage/control/lulz is a great idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavairo
Strangely this might be the most balanced skill cryptic has redone that I can remember. Hm.
Nah, original FBP was. :p
Lt. Commander
# 45
09-01-2011, 11:23 PM
Did a bit of testing, private/Ker'rat/queues, with the new Torpedo Spread, and it actually seems to be fairly balanced. There are a few nuances that make it a little different, in practice, than THY, but, for the most part, it actually seems pretty well thought out, and an interesting play dynamic.
  • Though you see 4 torpedoes per target, the attack is a single hit; however, unusually high Critical rate might indicate 'under-the-hood' strangeness, relating to multiple torpedoes? (Based on testing, ship with base 4.5% Critical Chance and no other Critical modifiers [save for potential Acc Overflow], had a nearly 10% rate... Sample size was not large enough to be conclusive, however...)
  • Firing arc seems a little strange, as it seems to center the firing cone on your current target, but allows the launch to occur as soon as your launcher enters arc, this leads to a seemingly-wider firing arc for the secondary launches of the Spread effect.
  • Damage is 85% of an equivalent-level THY's total damage output. For example, if your THY1 with Quantums deals 10k total damage, or 5k per torpedo, then TS1 will deal 8.5k damage, in a single hit. This makes TS Criticals 'look' a lot larger, but there are more opportunities for Criticals with THY.

Advantages:
  • Naturally, as a spam clearing tool, this is incredibly useful, though, for clearing things like mines, you often lose some of the potential, as the AoE would typically clear some mines adjacent to a targeted mine, but, those adjacent mines often soak up some of the extra 'shots' from TS.
  • Number of targets scales nicely at each level: TS1 = 3; TS2 = 6; TS3 = 9
  • Because it is a single hit, is actually more likely than THY to land its full potential damage on a fully-exposed Hull; with THY, sometimes, a sliver of shield will pop back up, prior to the first impact or during the impact of subsequent torpedoes.
  • Massive criticals due to high base damage, single hit approach. (Cracked 50k multiple times last night, 60k twice, and 70k once; all on a Tactical Captain.)
  • Synergizes very well with shield stripping and/or CSV.
  • It is SO pretty...

Disadvantages:
  • Because it is a single damage effect, even a sliver of shields will severely dilute the effectiveness.
  • Has a slight issue with causing misfires, at times, similar to the old Tric misfiring problem.
  • Lower single-target damage is somewhat less desirable for burst-oriented builds.
  • Miss on primary target seems to nullify entire AoE.

Observations:
  • The negligible increase in damage between TS2 and TS3 does not seem to justify the opportunity cost of using TS3 (as it is rare that you will find the full 9 targets in the firing cone, which cannot be covered by the AoE of 6 targets from TS2).
  • As mentioned above, seems to have an unusually high Critical rate; further testing will be underway.
  • Damage output and usefulness both seem to be fairly balanced; all things considered, I would say that Cryptic nailed this one (barring any problems with the Criticals).
  • Genuinely useful support power, without being overpowered (now that the torpedo cycle bug is fixed, on Tribble, at least).

This does make me want to test the new Torp Spread with Transphasics... They might actually be useful with the new Torpedo Spread... Hmmmmmm...

-BRJ

Oh... And did I mention: IT IS SO PRETTY! In combination with finally making the Quantum Torpedo sound the same (or nearly so, thanks for that, Cryptic) as in First Contact, it was a ton of fun to test this new power out! *happy panda*
Lt. Commander
# 46
09-01-2011, 11:42 PM

Am I the only one that dislikes the sound?
Lt. Commander
# 47
09-01-2011, 11:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvs5191 View Post

Am I the only one that dislikes the sound?
LOL, what is it that you dislike about it? I have to admit, the old Quantum sound had grown on me, and I was quite okay with it, but, it was a pleasant surprise the first time (after they ninja-changed it) I heard the First Contact sound effect, and said to myself "Holy crap, that's the canon sound effect!" ... While gameplay > canon (and there are still so many things that need attention), I thought it was pretty cool to hear the right sound effect for my favorite weapon.

-BRJ
Lt. Commander
# 48
09-02-2011, 01:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedJedi
LOL, what is it that you dislike about it? I have to admit, the old Quantum sound had grown on me, and I was quite okay with it, but, it was a pleasant surprise the first time (after they ninja-changed it) I heard the First Contact sound effect, and said to myself "Holy crap, that's the canon sound effect!" ... While gameplay > canon (and there are still so many things that need attention), I thought it was pretty cool to hear the right sound effect for my favorite weapon.

-BRJ
It reminds me too much of the Chroniton sound :p

But going off of what you said earlier: Do you think that transphasics would work well? What about a GW 3/Chroniton boat?

Personally, I'm sticking with Quantums on my shield strip. I LOVE doing Evasive bombing runs with my strips, instantly taking people down to 50% (or below).
Lt. Commander
# 49
09-02-2011, 01:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvs5191 View Post
It reminds me too much of the Chroniton sound :p

But going off of what you said earlier: Do you think that transphasics would work well? What about a GW 3/Chroniton boat?

Personally, I'm sticking with Quantums on my shield strip. I LOVE doing Evasive bombing runs with my strips, instantly taking people down to 50% (or below).
LOL, but the Chronitons need an SFX update anyways.

Actually, I'm a little anxious to check that out when I get home from work, in the morning, as I think there is definite potential for usefulness with a combination of Torp Spread and Transphasics... I just don't know if the lower baseline damage of Transphasics will limit the benefit, as compared to other torpedo types, however, your GW3/Transphasic/SenScan/APB? idea... Intrigues me... Insta-kill? Probably not... Hurt and hinder? Most likely... Useful?... Hmmmmm... Depends on what the modified damage ends up being...

Going from memory... Full-spec Quantums deal about 9.5k/11.3k/12.8k damage with TS1/TS2/TS3... That's an average of around 1k bleedthrough on a shielded target (non-crit)... If Transphasics are in the 7-10k range, that's going to be around 2.5-3k bleedthrough (multiplied by SenScan/APB)? Hmmm... Don't know... It'll be interesting to just check out.

-BRJ

Oh... For a support ship, Chronitons + Spread = Awesomesauce
Lt. Commander
# 50
09-02-2011, 01:30 AM
I don't understand the different sounds anyway.....there is no sound in space....so...really....why there must be different sound ??

For me, photons have best sound / look tho.