Lt. Commander
# 1 I STILL want to get demoted...
08-30-2011, 07:36 AM
OK, I had started a thread a year or so ago with the same request, but as Season 5 and new content is along the way, I can't resist to bring back the same issue: THERE ARE TOO MANY ADMIRALS AND GENERALS IN THE GAME!

I am a VA, and I am scanning rocks. I face off against Klingon Generals all the time. This isn't normal. I don't command a fleet, and I don't want to. I command a single starship.

What will the next rank be? Fleet Admiral? Really? There is only ONE Fleet Admiral in Starfleet.

Something MUST be done. Demote us! Just like Kirk in the 4th film. He was an Admiral, he hated it, and he was busted back to Captain.

The devs can tie that demotion to the endgame content: you can have a fallout with Starfleet Command. It happens all the time in the shows and the films. Maybe even steal the new Odyssey-class starship prototype (PLEASE, let us steal the Enterprise!).

Alternatively, it might even be a choice at the end of a mission: become a fleet admiral (and receive an X set of abilities) or return to the rank of Captain (and receive a different ability set).

Yes, I know I can use the title "Captain" for my character. I don't want a title. I want it to be my actual rank.

Is it too much to ask?
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-30-2011, 07:41 AM
You could just not level up beyond whatever rank you want (don't spend skill points). If you want to be a Captain, then fine, get to Captain 10 and stop spending points.

Others enjoy being at the level cap so that they can have access to the top ships and gear. An MMO is far from having any sort of "realism" to it. For example, City of Heroes. What kind of city has enough villains and thugs to keep thousands of superheroes occupied? And if there are that many bad folk, why do normal people even live there?
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-30-2011, 07:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitris_Botonis
OK, I had started a thread a year or so ago with the same request, but as Season 5 and new content is along the way, I can't resist to bring back the same issue: THERE ARE TOO MANY ADMIRALS AND GENERALS IN THE GAME!

I am a VA, and I am scanning rocks. I face off against Klingon Generals all the time. This isn't normal. I don't command a fleet, and I don't want to. I command a single starship.

What will the next rank be? Fleet Admiral? Really? There is only ONE Fleet Admiral in Starfleet.

Something MUST be done. Demote us! Just like Kirk in the 4th film. He was an Admiral, he hated it, and he was busted back to Captain.

The devs can tie that demotion to the endgame content: you can have a fallout with Starfleet Command. It happens all the time in the shows and the films. Maybe even steal the new Odyssey-class starship prototype (PLEASE, let us steal the Enterprise!).

Alternatively, it might even be a choice at the end of a mission: become a fleet admiral (and receive an X set of abilities) or return to the rank of Captain (and receive a different ability set).

Yes, I know I can use the title "Captain" for my character. I don't want a title. I want it to be my actual rank.

Is it too much to ask?
*scratches head* Trying to figure out what you're asking for here son. You want an end game ship, that's fine, I would assume you want all of the skill points you'd be entitled to at max level, but you want to be "Captain" in more than just name?

What mechanics would separate your "Captain" from the host of "Vice Admirals" we have running around?
Lt. Commander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermbot View Post
*scratches head* Trying to figure out what you're asking for here son. You want an end game ship, that's fine, I would assume you want all of the skill points you'd be entitled to at max level, but you want to be "Captain" in more than just name?

What mechanics would separate your "Captain" from the host of "Vice Admirals" we have running around?
i think the op is asking for a real star trek game. a game that has balance and gives rewards and promotions differently. as set in the game you can become a VA in a month of less. Yet there are only a few mentions in star trek lore of starfleet promoting someone to a captain so quickly. even sisko took some time to get promoted to a captain. hell he saved the federation several times but ross never made him a admiral. as a matter of fact janeway was made an admiral because of the extrodinary attributes she brought to the field. she had full tactical knowledge of the borg. she brought back 75% of her skeleton screw and made allies for the federation in another quadrant.

my understanding is that the game is rather to easy on promotion and does not lvl upwards to doing hyper bolic attributes of reward to a RA. in short all you have to do is blast away npc and you can become an admiral. it lacks star trek tac and lore and just encompasses wow function and guild functions to promoting. do a story kill the npc and get promoted due to skill points.

The system should be revamped to show true star trek activity and function but it will not. since launch this STO MMO has had bad direction and still is on the wrong course. The only answer we keep getting from the devs is oh finished a character well do another character.

So you want me as a player to pay for the same old content that is gear towards all the characters. No matter what character i choose the game play will still be the same. the game does not change towards my character.

The game has no essence of star trek or lore of how the federation works. it lacks the KDF abilities and well to be honest there is no direct translation from player t o the war. Cryptic has faked it all for us. its just a holodeck where no matter what we might do wrong there is no penalty or loss in this game. Which in short means this is not star trek but star junk.

There is no star trek game that does not have loss in it. The reason is because if you do not loose anything you will not learn from the mistakes you made. You can not gain knowledge from just button mashing.

instead of letting players tweak gear and consols at the non accesable utopia fleet yards or on their ships understanding how to use tech to make ones ship better we are given gear. spoon fed and the real trek experience is rob from us. hell how many of you remember when the last time jordi asked for quipment from space dock. Or for the matter trip made phases cannons on his ship and installed them rather then go home and have someone else do it.

wow there is so much wrong with this game but again majority of you are like sheep. You dont mind to be feed and given and given. This is just how it is. You dont care how something works just as long as it works. I guess being an engineer in real life makes me have greater expectations for a star trek game.

Oh yeah to those of you who say well this is just a game. well many games i have played teach. Star trek was and is a show but if you look majority of attributes shown in star trek are used in our ever day lives.

data pad. hahaha how many of you have a tablet.
Lt. Commander
# 5 i agree it makes since
08-30-2011, 08:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitris_Botonis

Is it too much to ask?
I agree with you it does make since. I said the same thing when they raised the rank to VA. This game promotes way to fast also.
Lt. Commander
# 6 i agree with the captin lvl cap
08-30-2011, 08:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvs5191 View Post
You could just not level up beyond whatever rank you want (don't spend skill points). If you want to be a Captain, then fine, get to Captain 10 and stop spending points.

Others enjoy being at the level cap so that they can have access to the top ships and gear. An MMO is far from having any sort of "realism" to it. For example, City of Heroes. What kind of city has enough villains and thugs to keep thousands of superheroes occupied? And if there are that many bad folk, why do normal people even live there?
i agree with the captin lvl cap. But in title only.I still want the top tier ships and skills.
Lt. Commander
# 7
08-30-2011, 08:27 AM
I'd rather be referred to as 'Captain' In game, rather than Vice Admiral. Sorry, but Michael Eddington said it best:

Michael Eddington: Captain - I just want to say that... I agree with what Chief O'Brien said - about your promotion. It's about time.

Captain Sisko: I appreciate the sentiment, Commander, but it really doesn't change anything. I have the assignment I want, I have the crew that I want. The rank doesn't make much difference.

Michael Eddington: You'd be surprised. People don't enter Starfleet to become commanders, or admirals, for that matter. It's the captain's chair that everybody has their eye on. That's what I wanted when I joined up... You don't get to be a captain wearing a gold uniform.

Captain Sisko:
You could always transfer from security to command.

Michael Eddington: [with faked naivety] Then who would protect the Ambassador?
Lt. Commander
# 8
08-30-2011, 08:31 AM
No I get it, and I understand, the OP wants to be level 51 he doesn't like or want the title admiral, and frankly neither do I. Walking around space dock there are more admirals than you can shake a stick at, which wouldnt be so bad, but all of them command a ship... it feels... silly... and as such it takes away from the immersion in the game.

I prefer the "Captain" as the pinacle of rank for the game, is this just a title change well sort of, it would be something like:

T1 Ensign
T2 Lieutenant
T3 Lt Commander
T4 Commander
T5 Captain ( Lower, Middle and Upper - these are not titles these just represent "seniority" or expereince)

and no other chages no more admirals running, around job done.
Lt. Commander
# 9
08-30-2011, 08:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedofheat
No I get it, and I understand, the OP wants to be level 51 he doesn't like or want the title admiral, and frankly neither do I. Walking around space dock there are more admirals than you can shake a stick at, which wouldnt be so bad, but all of them command a ship... it feels... silly... and as such it takes away from the immersion in the game.

I prefer the "Captain" as the pinacle of rank for the game, is this just a title change well sort of, it would be something like:

T1 Ensign
T2 Lieutenant
T3 Lt Commander
T4 Commander
T5 Captain ( Lower, Middle and Upper - these are not titles these just represent "seniority" or expereince)

and no other chages no more admirals running, around job done.
That would very likely do it.

I think Cryptic probably envisioned a longer time between Ensign and End Game. I doubt anyone expected players to make end game as quickly as they did. Personally, I'm dreading the Fleet Admiral rank :/
Lt. Commander
# 10 Well Said
08-30-2011, 08:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFP-Magnis View Post
i think the op is asking for a real star trek game. a game that has balance and gives rewards and promotions differently. as set in the game you can become a VA in a month of less. Yet there are only a few mentions in star trek lore of starfleet promoting someone to a captain so quickly. even sisko took some time to get promoted to a captain. hell he saved the federation several times but ross never made him a admiral. as a matter of fact janeway was made an admiral because of the extrodinary attributes she brought to the field. she had full tactical knowledge of the borg. she brought back 75% of her skeleton screw and made allies for the federation in another quadrant.

my understanding is that the game is rather to easy on promotion and does not lvl upwards to doing hyper bolic attributes of reward to a RA. in short all you have to do is blast away npc and you can become an admiral. it lacks star trek tac and lore and just encompasses wow function and guild functions to promoting. do a story kill the npc and get promoted due to skill points.

The system should be revamped to show true star trek activity and function but it will not. since launch this STO MMO has had bad direction and still is on the wrong course. The only answer we keep getting from the devs is oh finished a character well do another character.

So you want me as a player to pay for the same old content that is gear towards all the characters. No matter what character i choose the game play will still be the same. the game does not change towards my character.

The game has no essence of star trek or lore of how the federation works. it lacks the KDF abilities and well to be honest there is no direct translation from player t o the war. Cryptic has faked it all for us. its just a holodeck where no matter what we might do wrong there is no penalty or loss in this game. Which in short means this is not star trek but star junk.

There is no star trek game that does not have loss in it. The reason is because if you do not loose anything you will not learn from the mistakes you made. You can not gain knowledge from just button mashing.

instead of letting players tweak gear and consols at the non accesable utopia fleet yards or on their ships understanding how to use tech to make ones ship better we are given gear. spoon fed and the real trek experience is rob from us. hell how many of you remember when the last time jordi asked for quipment from space dock. Or for the matter trip made phases cannons on his ship and installed them rather then go home and have someone else do it.

wow there is so much wrong with this game but again majority of you are like sheep. You dont mind to be feed and given and given. This is just how it is. You dont care how something works just as long as it works. I guess being an engineer in real life makes me have greater expectations for a star trek game.

Oh yeah to those of you who say well this is just a game. well many games i have played teach. Star trek was and is a show but if you look majority of attributes shown in star trek are used in our ever day lives.

data pad. hahaha how many of you have a tablet.
You hit it on the nose.
Closed Thread