Lt. Commander
# 11
08-30-2011, 08:39 AM
Could they not add Commodore as a rank?
Lt. Commander
I agree with the capt. lvl cap but only in title. I'm not asking for the game to be harder, I just want the game to take longer to promote and have more content that is more useful. like when you on the bridge make it more interactive, go down to the eng room and tweak systems ..... something instead of picking a shuttel, or setting up trophies. its a big ship with so many systems, we should be able to use them. Also our BO's should be interactive.... just sayin.
Lt. Commander
# 13
08-30-2011, 09:09 AM
In the end, all that is needed would be an option that would let NPCs address you as per the title you have chosen instead of the rank as assigned by the game mechanic.
I think dstahl actually commented on this that they'd like to do that some time, but that was ... like ... half a year ago or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightstorme View Post
That has been requested a lot of times - especially given that this would allow to trash the whole "Upper Half" and "Lower Half" Rear Admiral silliness. Starfleet isn't the USN.
That said, some players also seem to prefer it that way and the devs have shown no intention to change it, so ...
Lt. Commander
# 14 Its A Fake
08-30-2011, 09:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprint01
That would very likely do it.

I think Cryptic probably envisioned a longer time between Ensign and End Game. I doubt anyone expected players to make end game as quickly as they did. Personally, I'm dreading the Fleet Admiral rank :/
Sorry my friend but ir was voice a thousand times over that the game content was to weak an yet cryptic never made the game a challenge nor did they try and add depth to the content. add function to the ships. add applications for captains and engineers to tweak their ships. They just kept doing fillers and lying to the player base saying we cant do this and we cant do that. yet they manage to make that foundry. lol to funny though i said this in the first month that cryptic gets an F when it comes to star trek lore and replication of star trek life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightstorme View Post
the ranks are not the problem. it is the mere fact of how you get promoted. the content depth is all about shooting and not learning or understanding why you are shooting. in this game its more about pew pew pew first get skill points shoot some more and if someone is left maybe as a question and then shoot them again.
Lt. Commander
# 15
08-30-2011, 09:23 AM
The thing is, and it's a big block on any attempt to repair the rank system, is that the community is spoilt. Even if rank doesn't affect ship access, if you make it so that only a small, realistic % of players can wear the admiral rank pips and admiral coat, someone will whine.
Lt. Commander
# 16
08-30-2011, 09:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munrock
The thing is, and it's a big block on any attempt to repair the rank system, is that the community is spoilt. Even if rank doesn't affect ship access, if you make it so that only a small, realistic % of players can wear the admiral rank pips and admiral coat, someone will whine.
i dont think so. i think the babies will whine no matter what. Those who do not understand star trek will whine. its trek to not have all admirals in game. its trek to have a certain number of admirals and majority of captains. Its a number of factors but one must not be scared to venture into the unknown or should i say the known. Eve online has a system that requires you to learn how to fly a ship and even after you learned how to fly a ship you must continue to learn and understand the certain aspects of the ship to make it better in battle and travel. But eve online actually has space and not some cheap version of space that STO displays.

To say or illustrate that space is so small was and has always made me think cryptic is a joke company and the development team does not get star trek. otherwise they would never have made space so small. You can not say you understand or even love trek yet forget the mere fact that space is freaking huge. Hell it takes a few hours to leave the sol system at warp 2. Because you can not go to high warp in a solar system as per the federation council on warp travel in a solar system.
Lt. Commander
# 17
08-30-2011, 09:39 AM
Two ideas:

Give Admiral ranks to Life time subscribers

or, LFT members and Guild leaders.
Lt. Commander
# 18
08-30-2011, 09:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvs5191 View Post
You could just not level up beyond whatever rank you want (don't spend skill points). If you want to be a Captain, then fine, get to Captain 10 and stop spending points.

Others enjoy being at the level cap so that they can have access to the top ships and gear. An MMO is far from having any sort of "realism" to it. For example, City of Heroes. What kind of city has enough villains and thugs to keep thousands of superheroes occupied? And if there are that many bad folk, why do normal people even live there?
Captain can still be the level cap and it should have been the level cap from the start. They can still change it. It is so immersion breaking being called Rear Admiral, Lower half or Upper half or Vice admiral. I want to be Captain, and that is all we really are in game anyway. We are not admirals, we dont give orders to anyone like Admiral Quinn gives to us. We act like captains and that should be our rank. I would be completely fine with being Captain LEVEL 1 all the way to Captain Inifinity. The game already has the levels built in, they just need to change the words. I see no reason for us to be anything else except for a tutorial.

They could change this when they release the new Starfleet Academy. Have us be Ensign to Captain over the course of the tutorial. It could be like an extended tutorial, and over a simulated extended period of time. It could jump years and the real game start you at Captain. Im not saying it take a long time, and you could stop anytime, but Im saying it could be like 2 hours and over that 2 hours ten years pass or something. It just have a few key missions that you rank up at that teach you the game. In the series that all we ever hear is smal tidbits of what happened in the Captains past, like Picards run with the Nausicaans ect.
Lt. Commander
# 19
08-30-2011, 10:01 AM
Hi. I agree with the original point here - it doesn't feel realistic with so many Vice Admirals around. I also think the idea of just stretching out the tiers a bit, or adding more intermediate tiers, would be a good answer.

What about having T1 as Lieutenant Junior Grade (after progressing from Ensign in the tutorial),
then continue with:

T2: Lieutenant
T3: Lt. Commander
T4: Commander
T5: Captain

T6: Choice of names for this: Fleet Captain (perhaps bad name with no fleet to command per se) / Commodore (think this was dropped in Next Gen as the US Navy had abolished the name for Rear Admiral Lower) / Rear Admiral Lower Half
T7: Rear Admiral Upper Half
T8: Vice Admiral
T9: Admiral

T10: Fleet Admiral (again, I don't like the name either - surely there are only a handful in Starfleet - perhaps the unique one would be Commander-in-Chief though?).

That would add at least two extra tiers in even if skill point progression wasn't tweaked. Obviously there'd still be the same problem of lots of VAs etc flying about in the end, but it might just stretch things out a bit. I also agree with the idea of NPCs calling the player Captain whatever rank you are (don't BOFFs do this already?). I do take the point though that this is a game, and essentially for each player it's the story of their character - you're the star really regardless of whatever else is going on. This is different I gather to Eve (discussed this point with my bro who's an Eve vet), but then they're different games.
Lt. Commander
# 20
08-30-2011, 10:08 AM
Or it could be Captain all the way

T1: 1-10
T2: 11-20
T3: 21-30
T4: 31-40
T5: 41-50
T6: 51-60
Closed Thread