Lt. Commander
# 51
09-02-2011, 06:16 AM
My Captain has a little accolade name thing that says "Captain", his rank pips say "Captain", he is therefore, to me, a Captain. I just ignore the "Vice Admiral" references in npc chat and mentally substitute in "Captain". It's a very simple solution, requires no additional code work and does not interfere with the experience of other players.
Lt. Commander
# 52
09-03-2011, 12:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USS_Excalibur View Post
A side note, I always found it amusing that in WoW, you have a population of heroes to save the population of heroes from the great evil <insert boss>. Most of these heroes are richer than the king yet they own no lands or official titles.
Well, that's exactly what happens in STO: you have an officer corps of Admirals, taking orders from Lieutenants and Captains, and most of those admirals can afford to buy ten ships or so.
Lt. Commander
# 53
09-03-2011, 01:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightErrant View Post
My Captain has a little accolade name thing that says "Captain", his rank pips say "Captain", he is therefore, to me, a Captain. I just ignore the "Vice Admiral" references in npc chat and mentally substitute in "Captain". It's a very simple solution, requires no additional code work and does not interfere with the experience of other players.
This in a nutshell.
Lt. Commander
# 54
09-03-2011, 04:02 AM
What should have happened is that at lvl41 you were offered a choice of staying a Captain or being promoted to Admiral.

If you stayed as captain you new abilities and skill tree were based on improving your own ship, if you went with Admiral they changed to boosting a group of ships. Also Admirals could have been given access to command versions of the ships, with some BO slots replaced by staff officer slots, they could then get staff officers who had fleet improving abilities as well, instead of just single ship abilites to man them.

This way being an Admiral would make sense, you would be geared for leading a small fleet of ships and teaming up would give a boost to the whole team, while those who choose to remain Captain would continue to improve their single ship performance.

As it is all my 'admirals' are still titled captain and wear captain pips, if i had been presented with a choice as outlined above i would have promoted at least one of them to admiral and kept the rest as captains to get the best of both worlds.
Lt. Commander
# 55
09-03-2011, 06:06 AM
Having Captain as highest achievable player rank in Starfleet was demanded since beta.
Yet Cryptic seems to be blind and deaf to this wish for a more canonical ranking system.
Lt. Commander
# 56
09-03-2011, 06:45 AM
I don't understand the issue. This is a RPG game. If you don't want to "be" an Admiral, then don't be one. As you said, you know you can display the Captain Title (as I do).

I think the best solution would be to just be able to set a displayed Rank in your "Info" screen as well as a rank title. Have a separate listing for the actual "skill rank." Problem solved.

I do agree with others and have spoken about it back in OB, that our highest rank should ever have been Captain. Ah well, so we have a "skill rank" that goes beyond that. No skin off my back as it doesn't hinder my game play one bit. I don't RP an Admiral on Nyrez, he's a Captain with the skills of an Admiral.
Lt. Commander
# 57
09-03-2011, 07:41 AM
Erm..... No... i do not want to get demoted after all
Lt. Commander
# 58
09-03-2011, 08:56 AM
Well the only thing that bothers me with all this...

Is that every damn NPC calls me Vice Admiral ^^
It would be better if the NPCs don't use the "Skill Rank" but the personal set rank... well okay it's not the best solution but at least it is one (Hello Liberated [Name], good to see you!)

Other then that... I am a Captain... Captains pips, Captain as title, commanding a ship... so the rest does not interest me...
Lt. Commander
# 59
09-03-2011, 01:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SelorKiith View Post
Well the only thing that bothers me with all this...

Is that every damn NPC calls me Vice Admiral ^^
It would be better if the NPCs don't use the "Skill Rank" but the personal set rank... well okay it's not the best solution but at least it is one (Hello Liberated [Name], good to see you!)

Other then that... I am a Captain... Captains pips, Captain as title, commanding a ship... so the rest does not interest me...
I agree. NPCs should, at the very least, address us using our Titles instead of our "Skill Rank."

Example, Dr. Beverly Crusher assumes command of the bridge. She is not addressed as "Lieutenant," she is addressed as "Captain." The same goes for anyone who takes command of a ship's bridge, they go by the Title that comes with that temporary command. The only exception has been Admirals, unfortunately, in the show. From what I can remember, Admirals have always been addressed, to their face, as "Admiral." Not "Vice Admiral," not "Rear Admiral," and not "Fleet Admiral."

There deffinately needs to be some looking into how the game handles ranks and titles.
Lt. Commander
Ok there is nothing wrong with the current ranking system . presonally myself i didn't buy this game to max out at Captain. bought this game to become a StarFleet Admiral (my very happy with my 3 Stars).
I don't know if i can make this any more clear then this stop your complaining DON'T RUIN THE GAME FOR THE REST OF THE PLAYER BASE.
Closed Thread