Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
08-30-2011, 01:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprint01
Alaris, this may be off topic, but I have to ask. -GEN- is that a clan tag? Wouldn't happen to be The Generals from Elite Force, would it?
Well, my friend, Trinoya, told me that people would know of the clan, but I didn't believe him.

Yes, it is the GEnerals from Elite Force.
Lt. Commander
# 12
08-30-2011, 01:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral-Flint View Post
I know of someone who has essentially been playing a free to play account for roughly a month now, only with few (and so far unseen) restrictions to his gameplay.
He has not bought any retail box and/or paid for a subscription, or for anything STO related for that matter. He seems to be able to play missions and progress through the ranks just like everyone, including featured episodes. He can only send /tells to people who have him on their friend list though, and he has no access to the foundry mission creation tool.
Without much further delay, a screenshot of what happens when he does try to access the foundry in the login screen.

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/6397/sto30082011.jpg

This picture was taken today, the 30th August 2011.
while its possible that it is going f2p and some bug could have happened to cause that also sounds totally made up. so again im no better off than i was a moment ago.

many signs point to the game going free to play, but until they actually confirm it, its just another thing on the internet that could be real or could be bogus.
Lt. Commander
# 13
08-30-2011, 02:03 PM
Quote:
I could ask him to do that, in fact the screenshot was taken with fraps, he told me. And while I fully understand the scepticism about the picture (it doesn't show all that much after all indeed), I don't want to bother him with more "work".
I sent him the link to this topic (he made the screenshot specifically for this), and if he wants to do the fraps, i am more than happy to edit in the link for him (I want to keep him annonymous for obvious reasons).
But either way, and with no offence intended, I have no interest in "proving" things. I am pointing out the findings for those who are interested. Doubters will doubt no matter what and others won't.

We will see if my friend is interested in pursuing this further though.
Look.. I am a huge fan of STO going free to play.. but I don't want to jump behind a topic until I know for a fact that it is real. if this is real, and believe me I hope it is real. I will pass it on and sin it's free to play praises all day. but if it is not. If i jump on the band wagon and it is wrong. then all I do is come across as a sheep.
Lt. Commander
# 14
08-30-2011, 02:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodi-emish
all I do is come across as a sheep.
And Zodi is noooo Sheep!! he is a pretty lil Q-kitty!
*wiggles catnip mouse*
Lt. Commander
# 15
08-30-2011, 02:36 PM
Why is it always some unnamed friend and some cropped screenshot?
Lt. Commander
# 16
08-30-2011, 02:36 PM
I knew this game was going to go F2P from the moment people started speculating about CO's and STO's similar paths. This screenshoot only provides more proof.
Lt. Commander
# 17
08-30-2011, 03:12 PM
Proof of what? That he can't use the Foundry editor?

That "Gold" automatically proves there's a free Silver somewhere?

That he's not too bad with Photoshop?

Look, the game might very well go F2P. I'll be sad when it does, because I'm not sure that model is going to work that well for STO over the long term. But it is what it is.

But a cash-starved game developer does not crank out F2P content while starving paying customers. They had their hands full with Season 4 stuff and presumably not enough time for the kind of monkey business that's being suggested here.

If it's true, and STO goes F2P by the end of the year, then I will finally admit that we've been deliberately and systematically lied to and I will not ever pay another penny on this game.

But I just don't see it happening that way. I still have faith in the STO team and I don't think we've been played so they could launch F2P by the end of the year. Maybe sometime in 2012, okay, but not before that.
Lt. Commander
# 18
08-30-2011, 03:14 PM
I've never seen a screenshot look so dirty. Not even my lo-res/half res screenshots look that dirty...

I sense tampering. IT IS HIGHLY SUSPECT...
Lt. Commander
# 19
08-30-2011, 03:17 PM
Quote:
The term F2P has been floating around for quite some time. Many have agreed that it is only a question of 'when' rather than 'if' the conversion takes place.
Less often discussed was the possibility of the developers already working on such a conversion, effectively contributing to the content drought.

There are many many indicators that have been pointing towards the conversion being already in progress and there is no point in going into those. People would not understand the logic behind them, refuse to consider the facts and so on. So let's just skip to the most recent story:

I know of someone who has essentially been playing a free to play account for roughly a month now, only with few (and so far unseen) restrictions to his gameplay.
He has not bought any retail box and/or paid for a subscription, or for anything STO related for that matter. He seems to be able to play missions and progress through the ranks just like everyone, including featured episodes. He can only send /tells to people who have him on their friend list though, and he has no access to the foundry mission creation tool.
Without much further delay, a screenshot of what happens when he does try to access the foundry in the login screen.

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/6397/sto30082011.jpg

This picture was taken today, the 30th August 2011.

"Gold Account", "Silver Account" (he mentioned to me that at some other point it says that he would be holding a silver account), almost full access to the game without paying anything, a combination of certain restrictions not seen with any currently official account versions, in what context have we seen that before...?

Draw your own conclusions about what the devs have been spending their time on lately (or maybe not only just lately), feel free to agree or disagree with my thoughts on it, or claim the screenshot was faked. It's not like I have or want to convince anyone.
Let me point this out again though: my friend who took the above screenshot did not buy any type of retail version of the game and has never paid for any form of subscription. I do not want to go into details as to how his account became the way it is now. For one neither me nor him know exactly how/why it happened. On top of that, although none of us did anything out of the ordinary, let alone deliberately attempt to get it working this way, disclosing more details would give Cryptic even more reasons to quickly remove this thread. They will probably do so anyway though.

For anyone interested in getting the truth out to more people: feel free to spread the information (and screenshot) presented here as you see fit. Cryptic is likely to get rid of this topic quickly, one way or the other.
This is precisely what happened over at Turbine studios before DDO went F2P. There was almost a year of no new content.

Oddly something similar to your screenshot also happened before it went free-to-play. Someone goofing around one day found a bunch of material referencing "DDO Unlimited", questions were asked on the forums, and the material suddenly disappeared. "DDO Unlimited" was the new title for DDO using the free-to-play model.... Of course no one knew it at the time.

It ended up being an amazing thing for DDO too. There were 10 times as many players and with the increased revenue, content started coming out fairly quickly.
Lt. Commander
# 20
08-30-2011, 03:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by -GEN-Alaris
Well, my friend, Trinoya, told me that people would know of the clan, but I didn't believe him.

Yes, it is the GEnerals from Elite Force.
I'll be damned, I knew Trinity, and the guild leader... but it's been so many years, I don't recall his name. How is the guild doing? I've seen a number of EF clans around here. SFI is trying to get off the ground and SFEF is around here somewhere too.