Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
# 21
08-30-2011, 02:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral-Flint View Post
It's a fake!

A single dubious screenshot that amounts to very little is not proof that STO is going F2P.
Lt. Commander
# 22
08-30-2011, 02:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain.Hunter View Post
It ended up being an amazing thing for DDO too. There were 10 times as many players and with the increased revenue, content started coming out fairly quickly.
The only reason F2P ends up being such a taboo topic is because orange names are afraid to touch it, sometimes over-moderated it, and moved it all over the place.

The players, for the most part, long ago came to the consensus that as long as they do it similar to games like Champions and what not, with a stipend and all that ... it's pretty much the logical extension of where the game is headed anyways.

It's just hard to cut through all the noise on the topic because of how it's been "managed" in the community. But once you do, you'll find most of the people around here aren't scared of the game going F2P. Not in the least.
Lt. Commander
# 23
08-30-2011, 02:38 PM
Frankly, I've been expecting F2P with the new tutorials. The suspension of the demo accounts suggested to me it would be before October or November or so.

The announcement will be here by September 15th, I wager, since Stahl supposedly has a big announcement about the game and the PWI buyout that will happen before his September 15th ER.
Lt. Commander
# 24
08-30-2011, 02:46 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't most, if not all, of Perfect World's other MMOs F2P also? I think we've all known it for a long time, especially after CO's "success", that STO would go that route. Perfect World buying Cryptic was the nail in the coffin for me.
Lt. Commander
# 25
08-30-2011, 02:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USSNighthawk
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't most, if not all, of Perfect World's other MMOs F2P also? I think we've all known it for a long time, especially after CO's "success", that STO would go that route. Perfect World buying Cryptic was the nail in the coffin for me.
Heck, it was said that STO would evaluate CO's success with it. Once that was said, it would almost be like a vote of no confidence in CO not to follow-up... and they're more healthy and content rich since the switch over there.
Lt. Commander
# 26
08-30-2011, 02:55 PM
Also"nail in the coffin" seems strongly worded. I think it's a very thinly avoided secret that almost everyone at Cryptic seems to prefer F2P and Freemium business models.

I think it's also a very thinly kept secret that Atari hates the model and has tried to block them and was only willing to consider it as a last ditch approach for games.

I suspect a F2P model means larger staffs and more constant reinvestment, lots of revenue for development, and a lower profit margin than a monthly fee game. With an emphasis off of running lots of them and keeping lots of devs employed rather than extracting maximum cash with a minimum of staff.

So even without PWI, I think pretty much the main reason any Cryptic game launches as anything other than F2P is because someone is blocking them. It wouldn't take a F2P company buying them for the switch to happen, just an owner who would let them do it.
Lt. Commander
# 27
08-30-2011, 03:03 PM
The text box is not even in the center of the screen like it should be.
Lt. Commander
# 28
08-30-2011, 03:08 PM
I'm calling uncertain--partly because the build number at the bottom is from today's build. I encountered no such errors while logging in this morning (during the maintenance hours but after the most recent build was posted).

That said, the nomenclature seems to fit and creating Foundry missions seems like a Gold Account option.
Lt. Commander
# 29
08-30-2011, 03:48 PM
The proved video below does show some signs of proof. Keeping my original post below for integrity.

However, the video just shows me that a Trial Account is trying to access a Paid Feature.

I'd still like to know what method you used to obtain that screen shot.

Quote:
I messed with the foundry quite a bit just recently.
  1. Firstly, I never seen this message.
  2. Secondly, the foundry color is a golden tan color, not blue, so the message should have been in a tan/golden border and coloring.
  3. Thirdly, the message is not centered like messages normally are.
  4. Fourthly, I could easily make a video and crop that message into the frames.

So, I started messing around and I came to find out that when you take a SS and open it up from the game's created screen shot, it indeed removed all bordering. However, it does not take a snap-shot of the Version Number, that is depicted in the OP's screenshot. Nor does it make your Foundry character disappear. It will still show your foundry character in the screen shot. If you don't have a foundry character, it will show your last played/selected character in the screen shot.
  • If you were to have taken a screen shot from the PrntScrn button and then pasted it into an image editor, you should also have shown in your SS the bordering of the game menu as well as the back/enter game buttons on the bottom, of which, the Back button underlays the Version numbers.
  • Also, the Copyright and Trademark information is missing that should appear if you pasted a PrntScrn SS.

It just doesn't add up.
  • Wrong colored message for the foundry.
  • Message is off-center.
  • No character shown.
  • A version number is shown suggesting a PrntScrn/Paste SS yet there are no menus, no borders, no buttons and no trademark information that should also come with this type of SS.
  • If it is a "game" screen shot, then the version numbers should not be visable.
  • If it is a "game" screen shot, then it would't capture the message displayed.

I may be wrong.. but I have to call propaganda on this one.
Lt. Commander
# 30
08-30-2011, 03:52 PM
pretty good sim.
It is logical and whatnot.

Pretty sure though, they haven't been working on F2P for the past 6 months. They needed the manpower for Cstore items.
But
1) "gold/silver" will likely be used.
2) Silver won't be able to make the foundry missions
3) and STO will go F2p.