Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
# 31
08-30-2011, 04:00 PM
A comment in this thread gave me a hint on how to possibly reproduce what happened to my friend's account.

Guess what, it worked, so here we go, the requested fraps video shot by myself, on youtube actually showing multiple "gold account required" screens. I even left the ingame sound in. Not that any of this will prevent people from screaming 'fake!', not that I care, but here you go guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_2RbFSt4Lw

Yes there are no non-foundry characters on that account. It was created literally a few minutes ago and I didn't bother with that. Plus I have to emphasize that the creation of this account had the only purpose of checking out my theory as to how my friend's account got "bugged"/converter, and to create this video myself, I did not and do not intend to take advantage of this.

Any more proof requests? Can't guarantee I will bother with them as well though.

note: after watching it on youtube I had to notice that the quality ended up being rather low, at least at this point youtube only offers 480p. Almost everything should be visible though. The exception is the very last part where the main login screen is shown. The red text there also reads "A gold account is required to (...)".
Lt. Commander
# 32
08-30-2011, 04:04 PM
OP is your friend using one of those 60 day alienware promo deals?

its very possible this is just the start of F2P being pushed out. We all know Cryptic's code often has a few holes and their attempt to quietly roll out f2p is slipping up.

Also we've heard the devs mention about the possibility of players getting a monthly stipend of Cstore points.
Lt. Commander
# 33
08-30-2011, 04:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingdox View Post
OP is your friend using one of those 60 day alienware promo deals?

its very possible this is just the start of F2P being pushed out. We all know Cryptic's code often has a few holes and their attempt to quietly roll out f2p is slipping up.

Also we've heard the devs mention about the possibility of players getting a monthly stipend of Cstore points.
Nope it is definitely not that (or any other kind of) promotion deal that he (or I in my last test, see a post above) is using.
Lt. Commander
# 34
08-30-2011, 04:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral-Flint View Post
Nope it is definitely not that (or any other kind of) promotion deal that he (or I in my last test, see a post above) is using.
I'd have your friend contact Billing.
Lt. Commander
# 35
08-30-2011, 04:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Zebular
I'd have your friend contact Billing.
I have no intention of exploiting the situation, but I am not going to tell my friend to contact cryptic's billing so they can start to, well bill him, either.
Althought I should mention that once we started realizing something was wrong with his account, or let's say, not quite normal, he did state he might just buy and pay for the game anyway in the end.
Lt. Commander
# 36
08-30-2011, 04:22 PM
While the shot certainly doesn't count as proof beyond question, I wouldn't be surprised if there were already a closed beta going on quietly. It would contrast completely with the openness with which CO's switchover was worked out, but that would match STO's pattern of contrasts with CO.
Lt. Commander
# 37
08-30-2011, 04:28 PM
Interesting.
Lt. Commander
# 38
08-30-2011, 04:34 PM
I remember fiddling with a trial account on a friend and something coming up where it referred to the account as Silver. This was before even Champions Online went F2P. (I think it was under the my account tab... no wait I remember, it had to do with trying to get on tribble iirc).

So this may mean nothing.
Lt. Commander
# 39
08-30-2011, 04:34 PM
I love it! He posts a screen and some people claim its fake. Then he posts the video and those people strangely have nothing to say anymore
Lt. Commander
# 40
08-30-2011, 04:41 PM
Even with the video, I'm still not convinced. Yes, I do not doubt that STO is going F2P, but this is still not proof that it is. Also, I thought that the demo accounts were suspended. How is your "friend" able to do this without a paying account?