Lt. Commander
# 1 Thank You Kirkfat
08-30-2011, 01:00 PM
I have been a member of STO since the day it went public (no I didn't get in on the testing much as I wish I could and knew how too boot) I have never been able to use the foundry. I'm not a forum or blog person so what little I learned about the foundry was hit and miss. Although I have as much fun in the foundry as the game; I was still getting frustrated take hours upon hours to build a story.
I have creative writing for over 30 years so I have many ideas I can't get out. My maps and story line was long tedious, hapharzard, and just plain boring. Then I stumbled across this things called UTube.
I learned a little; then a little more and more and more. The guy teaching didn't make you feel stupid nor did he act stupid.
I'm hoping my next published story will be my best one yet.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH KIRKFAT. . STO is my chance to escape after a hard day. I'm a Trekkie from the Shatner days so I love Star Trek.
Thank you Kirkfat for helping me to be a part of this great storyline!
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-30-2011, 01:27 PM
If you want to see more of Kirkfat's tutorials, and talk to people who know just about everything there is to know about the foundry, check out http://starbaseugc.com, created and operated by Kirkfat himself. Check out the site, and hop into the irc chat room at the following link: StarbaseUGC Chat Room. You may even see Kirkfat in the chat, and be able to thank him personally!
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-30-2011, 07:11 PM
wow, thanks for watching. I'm hoping to make a new tutorial series that will be a five parter that teaches you everything that you need to know. So many of my tutorials are outdated.

Anyways, good luck. It's a tough learning curve, especially for people who are primarily story-writers (and those are the authors who we really need).

I'm happy that at least some of what I do helps. I'm a teacher in RL, so I'm glad if that actually works, lol.
Lt. Commander
# 4 Details
08-30-2011, 11:13 PM
I'm trying to do some of the things you taught like building dialogs with out putting them into the story...it's going slow..triggers are giving me fits.
My biggest complaint is detail. I cannot seet the chairs (for example) to put my NPs in them. I cant create a transporter room or an engine room. rooms tend to look alike with the prefabs.
If I can get this building thing down I think I can create some stories that will make the writers at STO want to throw their typewriters away.
BTW I am a 44 year old Junior at Stephen F Austin State University 9 months and I'll have my teaching degree. Been a long hard road. building on the STO calms the nerves (If I can straighten out the learning curve) LOL
Lt. Commander
# 5
08-31-2011, 07:59 PM
One of the things that we've been doing at sbugc is creating pdfs for things like transporter rooms, etc. It's still a hassle, but if you see something unique that a foundry author has made, then you can recreate it in the foundry in a fraction of the time that it took the original author to make it.

Here is a short list of assets that are being shared via pdf. Good luck. You might find Alimac's transporter useful.

http://starbaseugc.com/index.php/cat...ources/assets/
Lt. Commander
# 6 Rooms etc
09-03-2011, 06:36 PM
I found it and had to do a little modifying but it look real good I thought. Is there a way to save and paste them to other maps? Are there Fx for transporter and lastly Im trying to get a upc to disappear. I'm using same character for several different things and dont need half does captains running around
Lt. Commander
# 7
09-03-2011, 08:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee_AnthonyIV
I found it and had to do a little modifying but it look real good I thought. Is there a way to save and paste them to other maps? Are there Fx for transporter and lastly Im trying to get a upc to disappear. I'm using same character for several different things and dont need half does captains running around
No, not really. Sabre and others can make these props on a map, and give you some general coordinates, but you'll have to readjust them to fit a different map. It would be nice if we could parent all of the parts of the transporter to one parent asset and then just move that one asset around the map, thus moving all of its assigned children with it. But, a dev has never responded to that suggested addition, even though it's poser 101.

There are npc idle animations that show beam in and beam out, but they loop. So, they are worthless, and a dev has never clarified what the purpose of those idle animations are, since they loop. Currently, there is no convincing way to make a npc beam out.

And lastly, no, you cannot make a npc disappear. This has been one of the most requested features, and the best explanation is that they don't want us to hide an npc or something. It makes no sense. I've seen some crazy workarounds, like hiding a npc with steam, but generally, everyone is frustrated about it. It would help if there was a team working on this stuff.

I don't think that anyone has the job right now of doing any of what you are requesting, unless maybe someone on Neverwinter is refining it for that game.
Lt. Commander
# 8
09-04-2011, 03:32 AM
Welll the not being able to paste takes up valuable time especially when you get that transport, engine room etc done "just right"
as for the transporter effects and npc disappearance; it makes doing a storylline real difficult.

Thanks again Kirkfat; I appreciate your patience; I hope I have that kind of patience when I graduate and start teachin
Lt. Commander
# 9 Wandering enemy ships
09-29-2011, 03:08 PM
Kirkfat seems like the perfect person to ask about 2 problems I've had with my limited attempts at making Foundry missions. #1. How do you make enemy ships roam or "patrol" like in regular missions? The wander feature doesn't seem to work. #2. This following problem makes me wonder about the devs. HOW do you make a *science fiction* mmo, make it *Star TreK*, THEN give the players the ability to make their own missions...but *no way to have enemy or ally ships warp into or out of battle??..?* The warping animation is a loop. Really stupid. For ST stories, it is VITAL to have enemies or allies warp into tor out of a battle for story purposes.
Lt. Commander
# 10
09-30-2011, 11:40 AM
Wander is a bit borked (it always has been). It works when it wants to. lol

As for the warping thing, you can have ships warp in to a battle and stay (by making their spawn point within 10km of an enemy - which they will immediately attack). However, you can't just make them warp out. There are some tricks to simulate it, though they are spotty at best.

Drop by the chat room http://starbaseugc.com/index.php/chat/ some time and we can tell you about it in more detail. There's usually someone around all the time.