Lt. Commander
# 41
08-31-2011, 12:52 PM
Ok StormShade locked The Thing thread and has declared officially that Ten Forward is not an off topic forum.

Comments? lol
Lt. Commander
# 42
08-31-2011, 01:29 PM
Stormshade ... Why were we in the past told to move such conversation threads to Ten-Forward and now being told they are not allowed?

What changed? ... Seriously .... What has changed?
Lt. Commander
# 43
08-31-2011, 01:41 PM
I'm sure discussing/debating the terms of service is against the TOS too?

Freedom to the 10ites! kick free of your shackles fellow 10ites and fight for your freedom!..

I think it's sad that we can't talk about any other sci-fi, considering most fans of Star Trek will have other favs, like Battlestar Galactica (Brilliant show), and Bablyon 5 (Some of teh best story telling in a sci-fi ever) and of course Serenity/Firefly (A brilliantly fun setting and enjoyable characters), oh and how about Space 1999 (Brilliantly amusing to watch, gotta love the Eagle), or Space Precinct? Blake's 7? UFO? Lost in Space?

You're telling me we can't discuss any of these? Or only the ones with MMOs that could possibly be competition to our fantastic STO, the quote in question was to a thread discussing the prequel movies to Star Wars, and it seemed like a pretty lively debate... nothing OTT and from when I last looked, nothing talking of the new MMO? >_>

I know discussing thread closure is also a little frowned upon, but the line where off-topic really is must be drawn in invisible ink, that fluctuates with what our lovely Mods and Devs feel at the time, because 10 Forward used to be the place to come for off-topic conversation not to do with Star Trek, or rather, not to do with the MMO, where we could all discuss our other interests such as Sci-Fi, or will it be also too "off topic" to be talking about what our favourite colours are soon? Or Off topic to discuss any other game either, will we soon be required to make mention only of Star Trek related issues and threads and turn 10 Forward into the On-topic corner of STO? Where it's users may only talk about anything at all in the universe within reason, as long as it's only about Star Trek or STO?

/rant end/
Lt. Commander
# 44
08-31-2011, 01:42 PM
"Any discussion of the Terms of Service is a violation of the Terms of Service and threads discussing the Terms of Service will be closed."

LOL
Lt. Commander
# 45
08-31-2011, 02:02 PM
They better close the "What are you listening to now" thread, that has nothing to do with Star Trek either Are we on Ekos or Earth here?
Lt. Commander
# 46 Bad move
08-31-2011, 02:25 PM
Essentially Cryptic is asking their community to stop being a community and to take their off topic conversations elsewhere, which actually hurts Cryptic as much or more than it does the ten forward community. Because if they go somewhere else, they aren't here, and it's all that much easier to just go somewhere else completely. It's unfathomable to me that there is no place at all for off topic conversation amongst a group of people that Cryptic wants to be a community. Either make ten forward the off topic forum or make one, but this is just wrong and counterproductive.
Lt. Commander
# 47
08-31-2011, 02:47 PM
Because I have to:

IBTL
Lt. Commander
# 48
08-31-2011, 02:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
Most likely its shoot from the hip over-moderation at work there. Keeping conversation stifled is kind of the it-thing these days.
Supes, I understand that in the past, this has been an issue. However, given the sheer number of comments about how over zealous we are with moderation that you have made in the week or so that I've been back, and the fact that you are still not banned, I think it's time to put that rhetoric to bed. Just a hint.

If you want to talk to me about moderation, and our tactics, you can send me a Community Ticket.

If all you want to do is complain that we moderate the forums, and be publicly acknowledged that you're right, I understand TGN has a forum up that more or less serves that exact purpose. I even go and read it every now and then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
They don't read it because it is not as traceable as a ticket. They claim they don't read the PMs at all.
I don't read my PMs at all. There's several reasons why:
  1. I receive a very large number of PMs, and honestly can't respond to them all.
  2. When I reply to a PM, it doesn't create a record of what I said to you for anyone who comes after me to deal with the same issue.

So, if you'd like to talk to me about anything, please send in a Community Ticket. I'll respond as soon as I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTWinters
Come to think of it, my tickets in game haven't been showing up either in game or otherwise
If you're filing bug reports, they will not show up any longer. This change was made to clear up the bug UI for some users who have been with us, and reporting bugs, for some time. It makes it easier for you to find updates to CS Tickets, Community Tickets, or any other ticket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakkar View Post
Essentially Cryptic is asking their community to stop being a community and to take their off topic conversations elsewhere, which actually hurts Cryptic as much or more than it does the ten forward community. Because if they go somewhere else, they aren't here, and it's all that much easier to just go somewhere else completely. It's unfathomable to me that there is no place at all for off topic conversation amongst a group of people that Cryptic wants to be a community. Either make ten forward the off topic forum or make one, but this is just wrong and counterproductive.
This isn't true at all. Ten Forward has never been an "Off-Topic" Forum. Take a look at the description Nagus posted above:

"Introduce yourself, share fan art, fan fiction, role play, and make friends here! Romulan Ale is still prohibited."

No where does it say, "Off Topic Forum!"

In fact, as was pointed out by another user in this thread, the rules state:

"Spamming 1 point
You may not create posts which contain:
  • Excessive communications of the same phrase, similar phrases, or gibberish.
  • Numbering of a thread, IBTL, TLDR, etc.
  • Bumping threads.
  • Creation of First! posts.
  • Posting of off-topic comments, including but not limited to comments or discussions of a religious, or political nature.
  • Posts and/or private messages that, in any manner whether directly or indirectly, contain links to threads from other forums in the Cryptic network may be subject to an infraction. (Cross Linking)
  • Advertisements that have not been authorized by Cryptic.
  • Posting to an old thread which has not been posted to in 30 days or more.
  • Creating Duplicate Threads (A Duplicate Thread is defined as a thread which discusses the same topic as another thread, which has had a new post within the last 30 days.)
  • As this is an English-speaking community, all postings must be in English, so that they can be well received and properly monitored. Posting in other languages is not allowed."

The relevant portion of this rule is Bolded and Underlined.

That said, you'll find that I won't be spending much time in Ten Forward, and unless something in here gets reported, I'll more or less turn a blind eye to whatever is going on in here.

I'm fine with the forum games, the meme threads, and most everything else going on in here continuing to go on in here. However, when something gets reported, I am going to make a fair and balanced decision based on the rules of this forum which are clearly posted at the top of each and every thread listing on these forums. Just like I do whenever a post is reported from any other section of the forums.

So, to recap:

There's no off-topic forum on the Star Trek Online Forums. That's how it has always been.

Thanks,

Stormshade
Lt. Commander
# 49
08-31-2011, 02:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormShade
{SNIP}

This isn't true at all. Ten Forward has never been an "Off-Topic" Forum. Take a look at the description Nagus posted above:

"Introduce yourself, share fan art, fan fiction, role play, and make friends here! Romulan Ale is still prohibited."

No where does it say, "Off Topic Forum!"

{SNIP}

So, to recap:

There's no off-topic forum on the Star Trek Online Forums. That's how it has always been.

Thanks,

Stormshade
thanks for getting back to us and clearing that up StormShade ^_^
Lt. Commander
# 50
08-31-2011, 02:59 PM
So basically, that means someone is actively reporting threads that are off-topic.

Someone has been tattling...

But thank you StormShade for responding. A lot of people may now be wondering why we were allowed to carry on off-topic conversations before in Ten Forward.