Lieutenant
# 1 Star Trek: Overture
04-01-2013, 03:33 PM
Greetings Foundry Players!

If you have a *lot* of time on your hands and love a good story, give the Overture Series a try! I finally published the 6th and final mission...

Two civilizations were plunged into war on the other side of the galaxy.

You've been ordered to bring them back from the edge of ruin.

But you've got to find them first...

Star Trek: Overture (Series Trailer) (HD)
Overture 1: A Rocky Fanfare Trailer (HD)
Overture 2: Sonata in the Ether Trailer (HD)
Overture 3: Adagio in Diplomacy Trailer (HD)
Overture 4: The Ferengi Scherzo Trailer (HD)
Overture 5: The Klingon Coda Trailer (HD)
Overture 6: Finale with Cannonade Trailer (HD)

The six-episode series is now complete. If you want to see what some of your fellow players thought about the first five episodes, here are 2 trailers that highlight a few of the reviews:

Overture Series - Review Trailer
Overture Series - Review Trailer 2

Just type "Overture" into the Foundry title search box and you'll be playing in no time. Enjoy!
Lieutenant
# 2
04-01-2013, 03:39 PM
Been waiting ages for the final part as I really enjoyed the first 5, so as soon as I saw this up must of been at 4 reviews, I just went "where's that hail button" and I was not disappointed, well done!
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=34676144000&dateline=  1356220537
Lieutenant
# 3
04-01-2013, 06:59 PM
thanks! I just had to ignore the world for a little bit and knock it out.
Commander
# 4
04-01-2013, 07:11 PM
will give a try
Starfleet Veteran
# 5
04-03-2013, 09:45 AM
Finished part 1, enjoyed it. Wanted to torpedo the USS Republic, but still got a kick out of the dysfunctional crew. Like Futurama played with a straight face.

However, you've tickled one of my pet peeves: Gamma Orionis is not on the other side of the galaxy. It's in the Beta Quadrant, not even all that far from the rest of the game - 2-4 sectors "south" from Eta Eridani and Omega Leonis, near Gorn space. The Mutara Nebula was the setting of Star Trek II and III, Cestus was where Kirk fought the Gorn, and a couple other systems are DS9 references.

I don't generally deduct stars for canon police nitpicking, though.

Last edited by hevach; 04-03-2013 at 09:59 AM.
Lieutenant
# 6
04-03-2013, 10:14 PM
This series is awesome!
Lieutenant
# 7
04-04-2013, 10:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by startrek1234567 View Post
will give a try
thanks! be sure to leave a comment with any feedback you might have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hevach View Post
Finished part 1, enjoyed it. Wanted to torpedo the USS Republic, but still got a kick out of the dysfunctional crew. Like Futurama played with a straight face.
You want to torpedo my ship? Blow up my precious U.S.S. Republic? Stay tuned for the next exciting episode... spoiler: (watch the trailer for Overture 6)

Quote:
However, you've tickled one of my pet peeves: Gamma Orionis is not on the other side of the galaxy. It's in the Beta Quadrant, not even all that far from the rest of the game - 2-4 sectors "south" from Eta Eridani and Omega Leonis, near Gorn space. The Mutara Nebula was the setting of Star Trek II and III, Cestus was where Kirk fought the Gorn, and a couple other systems are DS9 references.
Yeah, this is one of those compromises between "real" Star Trek and the geography of the game. I needed this story to take place far away from the Federation. The B'Tran is at the "far" end of Gamma Orionis and that is at the other end of a Transwarp conduit. You can't fly there via the usual sector space routes. That's about as far away from Earth as I could get in the game world. Just pretend that this all takes place on the "way far away" side of the B'Tran Cluster.

In addition to the classic Kirk/Gorn battle (seriously, go watch the remake, you won't regret it), I think there was a baseball team from Cestus III. But didn't the Genesis Device convert some of the material in the Mutara Nebula into a star and planet and blow the rest apart? To me, that in-game location is "a" mutara-class nebula, not "the" Mutara Nebula.

Quote:
I don't generally deduct stars for canon police nitpicking, though.
Whew! Good thing. Between you and @rjc_foxtrot I'd be one-starred to oblivion!

But in response to your review in-game, the canon registry of the U.S.S. Hood is NCC-42296. Which, obviously, I can't use on an in-game ship. And because I wanted to make video trailers that featured the ships, I had to make another compromise. Hence, Captain Devers commands the U.S.S. Hood, NCC-422960.

I like to think that Starfleet had a contractor overhaul its registry system and the database architect made them repaint all the numbers to match his arbitrary limitations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliamateus View Post
This series is awesome!
Thanks! I've worked hard to make it so!
Lieutenant
# 8
04-04-2013, 10:53 AM
I actually forgot to mention something, during the first mission when you're speaking to Tom for the first time he mentions about commanding the galaxy and you accidently put a comma so it reads U,S.S Galaxy,at least it looked like a comma!
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=34676144000&dateline=  1356220537
Lieutenant
# 9
04-05-2013, 12:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerryu View Post
... it reads U,S.S Galaxy,at least it looked like a comma!
right you are.

3 commas actually.

638 review and you're the first person to mention it! thanks!

it's fixed, but I'm planning on remastering the series at some point, so I'm not going to republish just yet. there's still some things about all 6 missions that need attention like fixing costumes, adding in some character emotions now that they're more consistently functional, and COMMAS!!!
Starfleet Veteran
# 10
04-05-2013, 08:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kineticimpulser View Post
You want to torpedo my ship? Blow up my precious U.S.S. Republic? Stay tuned for the next exciting episode... spoiler: (watch the trailer for Overture 6)
I'd settle for just cleaning a little house on the staff. I like your chief engineer, it would be a shame to kill him too, but no worse of a shame than all the ships I've blown up with my own boarding parties still on them.

Quote:
Yeah, this is one of those compromises between "real" Star Trek and the geography of the game. I needed this story to take place far away from the Federation. The B'Tran is at the "far" end of Gamma Orionis and that is at the other end of a Transwarp conduit. You can't fly there via the usual sector space routes. That's about as far away from Earth as I could get in the game world. Just pretend that this all takes place on the "way far away" side of the B'Tran Cluster.
Fair enough - a lot of people assume that's actually the Delta Quadrant, so I assumed you were one of them. I've just been assuming it's "somewhere else," since I've never physically gone to B'tran during it, just gone through a transwarp gate that could have gone anywhere. I tend to mentally rewrite missions as I play them anyway - every time a mission has a bridge officer tells me about his parents or brother serving on another ship, it's my Jem'hadar's face in the window, and I'm pretty sure his cloning pod isn't a nurse the Enterprise.

Quote:
Whew! Good thing. Between you and @rjc_foxtrot I'd be one-starred to oblivion!
I canon nitpick circles around people all the time, but it's only worth penalizing a superb story over when it's something just really bad. And so far when I hit an offense that bad, the mission itself is already losing enough.

Last edited by hevach; 04-05-2013 at 08:13 AM.