Lt. Commander
# 11
09-01-2011, 09:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorrowedTune
F2P means get ready for an influx of 12 year olds.
Sounds right. But idunno. Will a free star trek game really generate this? How much has the recent movie impacted youth? I'm not sure if many 12-16 yr olds are nostolgic about TOS or TNG.

I am, but I'm a 32 yr old manchild. And my 4 yr old loves trek, but that's because I do.

Either way if they want in I'll try to kill em just the same.
Lt. Commander
# 12
09-01-2011, 01:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvs5191 View Post
And I guess we can give up hope of ever getting new maps and such. They didn't give us anything during the 19+ months we paid subs. Why would they give us anything when we've stopped paying them to give us nothing?
There is some speculation (and I don't know how well founded this is based on other games) that F2P also attracts many PvP interested players. So giving these players something to achieve in PvP and something to buy in the C-Store might be lucrative. Whether that is what will happen, I don't know.

At least in Champions Online, it seems that the entire deal with Archetypes lead to Cryptic revamping a lot of power sets for better balance. But I don't know if anything happened for PvP (yet.)

Previous experience suggests that F2P ultimately makes the company more money and creates more player in the game. This could mean more funding for PvP and more players in PvP.

Whether this all "riff-raff" kept out by the subscription barrier before I don't know. :p
Lt. Commander
# 13
09-01-2011, 01:58 PM
Quote:
And I guess we can give up hope of ever getting new maps and such. They didn't give us anything during the 19+ months we paid subs. Why would they give us anything when we've stopped paying them to give us nothing?
Cause the "12 year olds" that come in who "pay to win" with x.5 ships bring in more money than we do PvPing with either lifetime or just subbing and not buying anything from the C-Store. Meanwhile we can still have a field day against those less experienced players.

(Not saying I'm "experienced" by any means.. But in comparison to the 12 year olds...)
Lt. Commander
# 14
09-01-2011, 02:36 PM
Quote:
I agree and may the force be with you.
Lt. Commander
# 15
09-01-2011, 02:37 PM
I would think PvPers would relish the opportunity to thrash the 'Pay to win' crowd, despite their .5 'advantages'.
Lt. Commander
# 16
09-01-2011, 02:48 PM
$$ 12-year-olds with credit cards! $$

If subs get free Cpoints there is no pay-to-win argument, sub or buy Cpoints. Unless it takes too long to get enough to buy anything.

F2P probably good for PvP.
Lt. Commander
# 17
09-01-2011, 02:49 PM
I can out-spend any 12 year old.
Lt. Commander
# 18
09-01-2011, 02:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprint01
I would think PvPers would relish the opportunity to thrash the 'Pay to win' crowd, despite their .5 'advantages'.
This is something I'd love to do.

Dominate all of the people rolling in with their X.5s, expecting to win. And then have them go crying back to the C-Store.
Lt. Commander
# 19
09-01-2011, 03:09 PM
I'm optimistic. For the last 2 years Cryptic has had to shove the game out the door in order to get the mega-bonus for making their deadline, then had to deal with the sale and all that involves.

I'm hoping that now they have found a company that wants them to succeed - assuming they do, anyway - that the resources that are needed to turn this into a long-term first class venture are forthcoming. We'll have to see; but again, I'm optimistic.
Lt. Commander
# 20
09-01-2011, 03:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuccaneerDTB
$$ 12-year-olds with credit cards! $$

If subs get free Cpoints there is no pay-to-win argument, sub or buy Cpoints.
Which is the whole point of F2P.