Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > C-Store, ZEN, and Promotions
Login

Lt. Commander
OK.... so now that we know we will be going F2P, it got me thinking.... and I need some help from people whom experienced the CO F2P changeover to help me understand what PW-Cryptic may do.

Right now you can purchase an account wide ship from the C-Store, when it converts to F2P I'll make the following assumption:

- What we have already purchased account wide we will keep.

So.... the question are:
1) Should we make the purchases now if we want an account wide ship or wait and risk the ship changing to a per character?
2) When CO went F2P, did any account wide existing items change to per character purchases?
3) Did the CO prices change? If so, did they go up? down?

Thanks!
Lt. Commander
# 2
09-01-2011, 11:14 AM
CO uses account wide and per person. account wide items like costumes stay per account.

i cant see them changing things like ships to per person at all. it will screw up what we already have and wont make much sense in the future. i would not worry about ships or costumes changing.

to my knowledge nothing changed for them when they switched over.

prices did change but im struggling to remember what it was. however what ever happens this wont be a 5 minutes switch over. you will get some notice of what is happening so as long as you keep in touch with the forums you will be able to make a decision if needed when the time comes.
Lt. Commander
# 3
09-01-2011, 11:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKRider
1) Should we make the purchases now if we want an account wide ship or wait and risk the ship changing to a per character?
2) When CO went F2P, did any account wide existing items change to per character purchases?
3) Did the CO prices change? If so, did they go up? down?

Thanks!
1- I would wait until you hear more official details regarding STO and its plan. First, because making what I would determine would be an impulse buy based on reaction to this news, might end up not being a great buy because the details aren't known yet. And second, the Perfect World Conference call and some of what was alluded to by DStahl suggest STO's Free to Play plan might have differences with the Champions version. So wait and see if that's the case.

2- All the account wide purchases I know of stayed account wide. But remember CO's C-Store was tiny at the time. It's been very very expanded since.

3- I don't recall prices changing, but for the longest time all you could get from the CO C-Store were action figures and respecs and renames and stuff like that. And like a couple of costume things.
Lt. Commander
# 4
09-02-2011, 02:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
3- I don't recall prices changing, but for the longest time all you could get from the CO C-Store were action figures and respecs and renames and stuff like that. And like a couple of costume things.
Costumes went from 240 to 380 CP. Action figures and the 80CP costume decals stayed the same, as did respecs. I think extra character slots might have changed but I'm not sure, and for a while after f2p started they were only selling costume slots by character until they added account-wide slots back in. I'm not sure if the rename token changed price.

Everything else, including any and every type of boost or power alteration, was added after going f2p. Since STO already has those sorts of things, it'll be interesting to see which direction they go.
Lt. Commander
# 5
09-02-2011, 02:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidheadjax View Post
Costumes went from 240 to 380 CP. Action figures and the 80CP costume decals stayed the same, as did respecs. I think extra character slots might have changed but I'm not sure, and for a while after f2p started they were only selling costume slots by character until they added account-wide slots back in. I'm not sure if the rename token changed price.

Everything else, including any and every type of boost or power alteration, was added after going f2p. Since STO already has those sorts of things, it'll be interesting to see which direction they go.
I imagine they'll go with stuff like the rhode island.
Lt. Commander
# 6
09-02-2011, 02:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianDavion View Post
I imagine they'll go with stuff like the rhode island.
Well that's blatantly obvious. I meant what direction prices on those items in STO will trend. dstahl gave a wishy-washy possible statement on ship prices being lowered, but I have the sneaking suspiscion they'll be made per-character going forward too.
Lt. Commander
# 7
09-02-2011, 03:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidheadjax View Post
dstahl gave a wishy-washy possible statement on ship prices being lowered, but I have the sneaking suspiscion they'll be made per-character going forward too.
I think you're on to something with that prediction.

Hmmmmm.
Lt. Commander
# 8
09-02-2011, 08:16 PM
i bought a few things.

Alot of good.
But two bad.
1) accidentally bought a skin for a ship I never used because the names were similar
2) The BOP variant, a year later doesn't work. Cryptic said a long time ago that it was going to be a big fix and so they never started to work on it. I hope when they offer F2P nobody will buy anything from the cstore if they release shotty merchandise like that.
Lt. Commander
# 9
09-04-2011, 04:16 PM
Wanna buy some boosts? wanna buy some boosts for your boosts? - CO
Playing F2P, go paid for a bit, want to play your 'premium' character when you go back to 'free mode' ? no chance - CO
Lt. Commander
# 10
09-04-2011, 07:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikonov
Wanna buy some boosts? wanna buy some boosts for your boosts? - CO
Playing F2P, go paid for a bit, want to play your 'premium' character when you go back to 'free mode' ? no chance - CO
You know what bothers me. They start selling boosts like they have. It shortens our actual play time. I could imagine some saying lets up experience per level to lengthen our play time so that only through the use of experience boosts do we stay the same as we are now with out them. But that's just me being paranoid... maybe LOL