Lt. Commander
# 41
09-01-2011, 06:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkbillie View Post
the only downside to this whole F2P thing is the goldspammers....how will they solve that
The "Dilithium for cash" will take care of gold spammers, they won't be able to keep up with how much dilithium a single C point is going to cost after a few months.
Lt. Commander
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormShade
In a recent Perfect World earnings call, CFO Kelvin Lau stated our intention to adopt a free-to-play business model for Star Trek Online this year and we could not be happier to finally share these exciting plans with you...

Link to the news article.
I paid for 2 Lifetime accounts for my wife and I. So if this game is turning in to "Free-to-play" what about the hundreds of dollars I spent ? How is that fair that I spent money for 2 Lifetime accounts and people now get to play for free ? Are we getting our money back or be nice and add the money to C-Store points and let us spend it there ? That I would consider to be fair.

I would love to hear what you have to say about this StormShade. I know you read all of theses post.
Lt. Commander
# 43
09-01-2011, 06:12 PM
*Raises his glass*

We are here to say goodbye to a good friend.....STO P2P.

Only with us for a short time..but forever in our hearts.
Lt. Commander
# 44
09-01-2011, 06:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraft View Post
It's about time Congratulations on the move, I can only hope it improves the future for the game, and that you guys don't try to Nickle 'n' Dime us like Turbine have...
This, a million times this. I like to call Turbine games 'pay to enjoy.' Want additional bags? Give 'em your money. Want to use the auction house? Give them your money. Want a mount? Yup... fork over money. That, to me, is not free to play. Yes, yes, you're free to play it as much as you want, without dropping a dime, buuuut... with minimal bagspace, no mount, and the inability to even auction off loot.... what's the point? Pay to Enjoy.
Lt. Commander
# 45
09-01-2011, 06:15 PM
Many people need to take a peek at the CO model - it is VERY well done. To the point I really criticize other companies for taking more money-grubbing paths (FunCom, I'm lookin' at you... horrible *** matrix)

The official announcement goes so far as to link to the CO F2P info page, but likely should go a bit further...

http://www.champions-online.com/f2p_matrix

http://www.champions-online-wiki.com/wiki/F2P_FAQ

Those two links should provide us with something very close to if not exactly like the STO F2P Hybrid model - and all signs point to the CO F2P offering having a VERY good, sustained impact on profits and population.

This is a good thing.

No... this is a great thing, as it secures this game's future despite the SciFi AAA MMO market about to become a touch more crowded...

Here's hoping SWG players hear it before December 15th when that shuts down, maybe we'll even see some RPers to breathe life into the less popular spots (and eRPers breathing it into the secluded ones, rofl)
Lt. Commander
# 46
09-01-2011, 06:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMaster View Post
Better be a veritable Fort Knox of free credits, given how overpriced most of the C-Store is.

This. Verily.
Lt. Commander
# 47
09-01-2011, 06:19 PM
I guess this killed my suggestion for an unlimited free trial.
Lt. Commander
# 48
09-01-2011, 06:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormShade
In a recent Perfect World earnings call, CFO Kelvin Lau stated our intention to adopt a free-to-play business model for Star Trek Online this year and we could not be happier to finally share these exciting plans with you...

Link to the news article.
So i guess this doesnt affect lifetimers eh?
Lt. Commander
# 49
09-01-2011, 06:27 PM
I'm not even remotely surprised. Once a significant percentage of your active players become lifetime members and they've passed the point where their initial payment has paid itself off, the game essentially becomes free to play anyway. At that point it just makes sense to open it up to everyone as a "free" game in the hopes of continuing to bring in revenue through microtransactions, because it's not coming in as subscriptions. It also frees up the developers to greatly expand on the cash shop items without catching a lot of flak.

Most MMOs with a lifetime sub option (particularly ones where the option became popular) end up being free to play, and its just a matter of time for those that yet haven't.
Lt. Commander
# 50
09-01-2011, 06:32 PM
The good thing about this is I have friends who play PW and their sister games who would jump to play STO