Lt. Commander
# 621
09-12-2011, 02:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psytce View Post
I have been reading through most of these posts and I would like to try and clear something up for the Lifers that think they are losing stuff when STO goes to F2P.......

As a Lifer you don't lose anything. You will have everything you have today when F2P starts.
The F2P matrix is showing what a new player has at both options. Someone who has played for a while and is staying a subscriber or is a LTS will have everything they have already gotten, they will not lose ANYTHING.......

I was one of the lucky ones that was able to get my LTS while I was in Closed Beta and I paid $250 for it ...

What going to F2P changes for me is that I now receive $5 a month in C-Store points to play STO. Since I have a LTS this means that in 50 months Cryptic will have refunded my $250 in C-Store points and now will actually be paying me $5 a month in Cryptic points to play the game.....:p

I am one Lifer that is looking forward to this .......
Paying me to play STO.... I like this
Lt. Commander
# 622
09-12-2011, 07:12 AM
im curious to know if people who already bought all the races will be reimbursed. Cause that is rather lame -_-
Lt. Commander
# 623
09-12-2011, 12:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revan67
im curious to know if people who already bought all the races will be reimbursed. Cause that is rather lame -_-
They will not be reimbursed, but they will have access to any race they paid for without having to meet the new "not C-Store" criteria. So, if you're afraid unlocking Pakleds will turn into some massive grind fest, you may want to get yours before the switch.
Lt. Commander
# 624
09-13-2011, 10:52 AM
ok i love have no monthly Sub but i did not only pay 230$ for a life time sub just to take the 14.99 out i also payed the 230$ for the Borg Cap i did this back in Feb at the 1YR thing

now if they put the borg Cap on the Cstore i will fell ripoff !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lt. Commander
# 625
09-13-2011, 11:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus01
ok i love have no monthly Sub but i did not only pay 230$ for a life time sub just to take the 14.99 out i also payed the 230$ for the Borg Cap i did this back in Feb at the 1YR thing

now if they put the borg Cap on the Cstore i will fell ripoff !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
They won't. It's been confirmed "other means" refers to LTS in this case.
Lt. Commander
# 626
09-13-2011, 02:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus01

You can breathe a sigh of relief now. It's been confirmed that the LTS is the only way that they have planned for giving out the Lib Borg captain. I doubt that the C-Store is even on their radar (although I have been wrong in the past).
Lt. Commander
# 627
09-14-2011, 02:58 PM
Initial reactions are as follows:
It's about time. STO NEVER had enough content (and still doesn't!) to be able to compete with subscription MMO's. From Ens to VA is too fast, you get everything too easy. The game seemed to just be incentive to buy C-store stuff. In light of this, the game NEEDED to be FTP

Flip side: I'm a lifetime subscriber. I paid almost $300 for that. And because I paid almost $300 to them SIGHT UNSEEN... I expect some kind of preferential treatment. I was livid enough when Captain's Table got opened up, regardless of the fact that I'd only been there a few times. Fact was it was there, and only I, and other lifers, could go there. It gives me a measure of status. STO players I knew in real life wanted me to show them the Table. Now, any twit with a CPU can do and see just about anything I can? Why'd I buy a lifetime again? I did the numbers, at $250 it takes 2 years for the cash to equal out. 2 years will be hit in feb I believe. So to put it in perspective, monthly subscribers paid less than I did, and then the model shifts to free, which means we no longer get those benefits at all.

The day after:
We do get some renumeration because of the simple fact that subscriptions ARE still around, and they do still provide TANGIBLE benefit. Sleightly less livid.

The follow up:
This is what Cryptic needs to do. Tell us what the bloody plan for everything is. If you go and announce something like this you'd better be ready to answer all the questions it's gonna raise. Like what does this mean for lifers? Will I get 400 points a month every month for the duration of the game? I'd better. I'd better get an awful lot. Because we PAID an awful lot, sight unseen. We helped fund the development of this game by paying a LOT of money upfront.

Conclusions:
1) I will not be purchasing any more cryptic lifetime memberships. I'm sorry if I can't trust that I will never have to worry about a person not paying a DIME and getting what I paid a LOT of money for? Then I'm not going to pay that 'lot of money' I'm just going to sit back and wait, see if FTP happens, and if it doesn't, well, I didn't need to play that bad anyway.

2) If I don't see some MAJOR benefits for my money, then I'm not sure what I'm going to do, probably start with never buying or supporting cryptic again... I realize that when I bought my Lifetime Membership all that the membership itself explicitly gave me was access to the game - which under the FTP model, I still get. HOWEVER at the same time Cryptic made a number of EXPRESSED statements of additional benefits of being a lifetime subscriber, some of which have already been removed. While I have no legal basis for my being upset, I am not taking this as a legal matter, but a right versus wrong matter.

How is this right versus wrong?

Situation: I paid $250, and others paid $300 for lifetime subscriptions to STO so our right to play could never be abridged by financial hardship. Now the game goes FTP, the very right which we purchased is being given away free to others. There are some minor benefits to being paid, but face it, it's like an iraqui election. Sure you can vote. You can vote for the only person that gets put on the ballot. It's not a MEANINGFUL choice. Just like these aren't MEANINGFUL benefits.

RIGHT: I paid serious money upfront supporting a game I wanted to believe in, hoping that that money would be used to make the game better, but understanding at the very least, I got certain benefits like the Captain's Table, forum color change, borg benefits, etc. Virtually all of these benefits have been given away to paying subscribers, but sure at least they're paying for it. Now, they're being given away to people who aren't even paying. That's not equitable for those of us who paid, who ponied up money from day one, under the understanding that EVENTUALLY this investment would pay for itself. Now I understand if the game just tanked. Went out of business. But the game still exists, Cryptic is continuing to make money off of it, and as such we deserve SOME kind of recompense, MEANINGFUL recompense. Cryptic began this race believing that those who forked over $250 or $300 to play DESERVED better than those that didn't, and if they finish that way, then I'm happy. But I'm sorry, the same 400 c-point stipend, the right to make fleets, and unlimited pocketbooks that the monthlies get isn't going to do it for me. When it began, two years and our $300 would pay for itself. At which point I understand, Cryptic has gotten less out of the lifetime subscribers than those who signed up for monthlies at launch. But that's not the case, is it? By cutting the game from subs within that 2 years, they've tipped the scales the other way. I paid more for my 19 months than the monthlies did, so by right (not by law!) I deserve a little more than they do. Not to mention they have the choice now, knowing that FTP is coming, to quit. To protest the change, and to volunteer not to be a part of it. I don't have that capability, or rather I should say my excercising of that capability has no meaningful effect on the company, all it does is lower how many people their servers have to be able to support.

WRONG: I paid what I did, and get only the same things every other subscriber gets. I'm not every other subscriber. I'm a subscriber who paid a lump sum of hard earned money to invest into the game's production. It's like if you go to a franchise McDonalds... you buy a hamburger, you support the company, you give them a $100,000.00, youv'e INVESTED. You get more than just burgers there.
Lt. Commander
# 628
09-14-2011, 04:28 PM
I personally like the F2P I believe in what the cryptic guys are saying. Now I did not buy a life time subscription but I have paid well in over the amount of $300.00 in the c store alone and I do feel that I have gotten money's worth out of the game so I like the kick back of 400 points each month to lifers and subscribers like me who go out and buy all the new toys he can. So please stop whining about spending money I have spent my fair share on this game as well. And I am happy with the F2P the biggest complaint I have is the fact of lack of players in some areas we need more players. This is the last REAL star trek thing out there we need to be in support of it not fighting the F2P model.
Lt. Commander
# 629
09-14-2011, 05:02 PM
Quote:
Flip side: I'm a lifetime subscriber. I paid almost $300 for that. And because I paid almost $300 to them SIGHT UNSEEN... I expect some kind of preferential treatment. I was livid enough when Captain's Table got opened up, regardless of the fact that I'd only been there a few times. Fact was it was there, and only I, and other lifers, could go there. It gives me a measure of status
you 'expect preferential treatment'? you don't deserve any such thing. you pay the same amount that everyone else pays. how and when you paid is irrelevant.

no better treatment, no special status. thats the last thing this or any other game needs

Quote:
Will I get 400 points a month every month for the duration of the game? I'd better. I'd better get an awful lot
you paid for a lifetime account. thats what you are entitled to. nothing else.

Quote:
Then I'm not going to pay that 'lot of money' I'm just going to sit back and wait, see if FTP happens
what do you mean 'if' FTP happens? that much is set in stone at this point

Quote:
If I don't see some MAJOR benefits for my money,
you aren't entitled to any major benefits. you are entitled to never pay a sub fee again. and you won't have to.

Quote:
WRONG: I paid what I did, and get only the same things every other subscriber gets. I'm not every other subscriber. I'm a subscriber who paid a lump sum of hard earned money to invest into the game's production.
Quote:
WRONG: I paid what I did, and get only the same things every other subscriber gets. I'm not every other subscriber. I'm a subscriber who paid a lump sum of hard earned money to invest into the game's production.
you paid the same amount of money every subscriber has or will pay. you ARE every other subscriber. you are no better than anybody else and you invested, as you put it, in nothing. you just paid a sub fee. the same as everyone else

Quote:
It's like if you go to a franchise McDonalds... you buy a hamburger, you support the company, you give them a $100,000.00, youv'e INVESTED. You get more than just burgers there.
you don't pay 100k for a hamburger. you don't invest in mcdonalds when you buy a hamburger. you are just a customer. just like you didn't invest in this game.

you attitude is exactly what this game needs to avoid. it makes lifers look bad and you look childish. so tone it down before stormy does.
Lt. Commander
# 630 Lifers
09-14-2011, 05:20 PM
Lifers should and DO get preferential treatment we get it in the form of the borg toon and the LTS badge plus now we also get 400 points every month ...... as a LTS im happy with that deal ..... I paid the LTS because I could and wanted too and I payed it knowing that I ran the risk of this happening .. I think FTP is a good thing more players = more people to interact with and more people to make C-store purchases more people also means more fleets more interaction an more communities and with some of the ideas about fleets floating around i can see STO only getting better