Lt. Commander
# 61
09-01-2011, 06:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormShade
In a recent Perfect World earnings call, CFO Kelvin Lau stated our intention to adopt a free-to-play business model for Star Trek Online this year and we could not be happier to finally share these exciting plans with you...

Link to the news article.
NOW that is OUT of the BAG

this is not the end of sto event everyones looking for

everything will be fine

move along move along
Lt. Commander
# 62
09-01-2011, 06:19 PM
I was expecting this announcement, and I'm actually glad that STO is going free-to-play. I'm a Trekkie so I sought this game out, but I only give other MMO games a shot if they are F2P. So, I think it's a good reason for more people to sample. And more people = more money = (hopefully) more content. (And seriously guys you need to get the whole content thing in order before you go F2P).

As a lifer, I get what I have now and get some C-points a month. As a suggestion to "sweeten the pot" for disgruntled lifers, how about adding the ability to wear a full Borg costume, since being a Liberated Borg already is a lifer exclusive. Just a thought...
Lt. Commander
# 63
09-01-2011, 06:20 PM
I like subs and I am glad this option remains with all its benefits I can enjoy today. Seems there is even a little cherry on the top with potential C-store stipend
Lt. Commander
# 64
09-01-2011, 06:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoberraz View Post
Also, in everycase I've seen of a game that went free to play, lifetime members and subscribers lost priviledges they had, and now had to pay to continue having them.
Can you give some examples of this?

I'm thinking, of course, of Champs -- so far as I am aware, Gold subs haven't lost a thing.
Lt. Commander
# 65
09-01-2011, 06:33 PM
<--- life time sub, now don't i feel stupid like i wasted some cash.
Lt. Commander
# 66
09-01-2011, 06:42 PM
I gotta say I'm very happy about this at the same time it slightly depresses me. I'm looking forward to the swaths of new players that will be brought into the fold, but I also know many of them will be childish @$$ hats. As long as I can still buy a lifetime subscription before the end of the year, I'll cope
Lt. Commander
# 67
09-01-2011, 06:52 PM
To say this news is unfortunate would be an understatement as I purchased a lifetime sub TWO DAYS AGO. But, I'm not going to whine or complain, I'm just going to see what happens and make my mind up then. I'm optimistic of getting new lifetimer features.
Lt. Commander
# 68
09-01-2011, 06:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BalanceOfTerror
<--- life time sub, now don't i feel stupid like i wasted some cash.
These things is not needed thanks.

Ok listen up.

For lifers and subs In 90% of all games that goes from P2P pay to play and becomes F2P Free to play.

Lifers and sub users wins in 90% of all the games.
only 1 game in history of mmorpgs that went from p2p to f2p made lifers lose and that game went bankrupt 2 months later so yeee i doubt cryptic will do that.

Going free 2 play for a lifer means you will most likely get the best deal there is.

Take lotro for example you get acess to everything u get stipend of points every month.
only bad thing lotro did was it was not 100% f2p since content was not given to free players.
DO NOTE BIG NOTES HERE.

Dstahl and Stormshade alllready said all content will be to all players free and paying. ( UNLESS my english is so bad i need glasses wich i doubt )

so what does that mean for lifers ? easy it means we get acess to everything ingame ( missions Feature episodes voices auction house yadi yada and cookies ) and we have a chance to get c-store points every month if cryptic agrees to it wich most likely think they will since other mmorpg f2p games does.

for premium users you have no fear u will be treated as a paying customer why easy u give cryptic money wich means they love you.

free players get acording to posts acess to everything except forums as i understand it wich i think they can live without.

So CAN WE PLEASE stop SCREAMING doooooom everywhere.

Lifers will most likely be honored and accomodated to the best of the ability of cryptic.

thank you and please stop spilling doooooooom untill they post the official FAQ ON STO F2P.

on a side note can we get cloak bugg for feddies and klingons fixed ?
Lt. Commander
# 69
09-01-2011, 06:58 PM
I bought my lifer sub during open beta at the discount they offered for $239.99 at the end of January 2010. Which breaks down to 19 months. Which then breaks down to approximately $12.63 a month up through the end of August. I feel that I have gotten more than my money's worth from purchasing the lifer sub. Whatever they choose to offer as compensation for the lifers, I am sure will be awesome and very much worth it. Also, I have contributed monthly by buying CP and spending them (I've managed to get everything in the C-Store to date) whenever something new comes out. Those that feel a refund is warranted, it won't happen because it isn't plausible nor necessary for the devs to do it. The CO F2P system has worked wonderfully, so be excited and look forward to what will come for the game as a whole and for those that are lifers/monthly subbers.
Lt. Commander
# 70
09-01-2011, 07:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LtEliz
These things is not needed thanks.

Ok listen up.

For lifers and subs In 90% of all games that goes from P2P pay to play and becomes F2P Free to play.

Lifers and sub users wins in 90% of all the games.
only 1 game in history of mmorpgs that went from p2p to f2p made lifers lose and that game went bankrupt 2 months later so yeee i doubt cryptic will do that.

Going free 2 play for a lifer means you will most likely get the best deal there is.

Take lotro for example you get acess to everything u get stipend of points every month.
only bad thing lotro did was it was not 100% f2p since content was not given to free players.
DO NOTE BIG NOTES HERE.

Dstahl and Stormshade alllready said all content will be to all players free and paying. ( UNLESS my english is so bad i need glasses wich i doubt )

so what does that mean for lifers ? easy it means we get acess to everything ingame ( missions Feature episodes voices auction house yadi yada and cookies ) and we have a chance to get c-store points every month if cryptic agrees to it wich most likely think they will since other mmorpg f2p games does.

for premium users you have no fear u will be treated as a paying customer why easy u give cryptic money wich means they love you.

free players get acording to posts acess to everything except forums as i understand it wich i think they can live without.

So CAN WE PLEASE stop SCREAMING doooooom everywhere.

Lifers will most likely be honored and accomodated to the best of the ability of cryptic.

thank you and please stop spilling doooooooom untill they post the official FAQ ON STO F2P.

on a side note can we get cloak bugg for feddies and klingons fixed ?
Thank you for spelling for people who seem like the world is ending.