Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 31
09-02-2011, 07:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talas1031
So you'd rather go in with 20+ people and outlevel and eventually faceroll the encounter?

No thanks, I'd rather go in with 4 people and coordinate attacks and actually use my bridge officer abilities instead of mashing the spacebar with my tongue.

They're the BORG, it's about time we started taking them seriously. I should get my *** handed to me.
20 people had an epic feeling, it was nice. I played with 5 and they were complete idiots, at least with 20 you get a few good players. I like the epic batle sceens, instead of decreasing the number allowed in an instance, increase teh number of fleets that need to be destroyed before V'ger comes.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 32
09-02-2011, 07:53 AM
If it were possible to do a more adaptive instance - I would be all for that. I do not think that it can be
reasonably done by Cryptic though. And that is not a slam, I would *love* to be proven wrong there!


However, as pointed out - I loved the fact when I warped in, there were well over 20 ships. It felt like a true fleet action, and that this might be Wolf359, Part II. That we completely steamrollered the instance was not so fun (IMHO) I was hoping these borg would be meaner, meatier, and looking to tear fleet ships apart.

I certainly would love to see a Borg Encounter that is nasty, scary and even if you have 10 out of the 20 ships at the VA level - seeing the Borg Mothership would be serious case of "oh-sh*t" when it comes in.
These should be WAY harder than a standard Gamma O DSE, which is what some are wanting.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 33
09-02-2011, 07:59 AM
I'm so glad they're putting up team limits. Playing last night most of the time there were so many people in the encounter that I barely had a chance to get a shot off.

Though just sitting there doing nothing and getting an item/emblem for it isn't always a bad thing.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 34
09-02-2011, 07:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RStoney View Post
If it were possible to do a more adaptive instance - I would be all for that. I do not think that it can be
reasonably done by Cryptic though. And that is not a slam, I would *love* to be proven wrong there!


However, as pointed out - I loved the fact when I warped in, there were well over 20 ships. It felt like a true fleet action, and that this might be Wolf359, Part II. That we completely steamrollered the instance was not so fun (IMHO) I was hoping these borg would be meaner, meatier, and looking to tear fleet ships apart.

I certainly would love to see a Borg Encounter that is nasty, scary and even if you have 10 out of the 20 ships at the VA level - seeing the Borg Mothership would be serious case of "oh-sh*t" when it comes in.
These should be WAY harder than a standard Gamma O DSE, which is what some are wanting.
I'd agree with this. A few things to make a good "Borg" instance:

1. 10-20 Federation ships
2. 1-5 Borg ships (at least one cube, mixture of smaller stuff)
3. Borg get 500% more health than the Federation ships.
4. End result? THIS
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 35
09-02-2011, 08:10 AM
My idea of Borg in this game would have players running in sheer terror in most encounters
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 36
09-02-2011, 08:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RStoney View Post
If it were possible to do a more adaptive instance - I would be all for that. I do not think that it can be
reasonably done by Cryptic though. And that is not a slam, I would *love* to be proven wrong there!


However, as pointed out - I loved the fact when I warped in, there were well over 20 ships. It felt like a true fleet action, and that this might be Wolf359, Part II. That we completely steamrollered the instance was not so fun (IMHO) I was hoping these borg would be meaner, meatier, and looking to tear fleet ships apart.

I certainly would love to see a Borg Encounter that is nasty, scary and even if you have 10 out of the 20 ships at the VA level - seeing the Borg Mothership would be serious case of "oh-sh*t" when it comes in.
These should be WAY harder than a standard Gamma O DSE, which is what some are wanting.
Yeh it was a great feeling beeing in an actual FLEET but i almost didnt have the chance to even fire at an enemy.

After all the development time those encounters needet I really expectet... more...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 37
09-02-2011, 08:12 AM
i played a borg encounter last night which was working properly and only had 4 other people in it, it was the CE all over again. Against the big borg ship, too many n00bs shooting the irrelevant probes and not focusing on the regen probes and the big ship.... We failed spectacularly... i think there was only one other person in the group who had an idea of how to do it !

This soured me completely off the borg invasion... why should i waste time waiting for a red alert, travel to it, and waste 15 mins of my life for nothing over and over again.... With the borg encounters fixed so only 5 people are in them, i can quickly see them entering the ranks of the CE..... no one bothering with them..... Whats the point of hunting them when there's the possibility we will be teamed with morons who don't know how to do it.....

Ohh well, maybe in another 2 months there will be something to do !!!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 38
09-02-2011, 08:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuatela
I'd agree with this. A few things to make a good "Borg" instance:

1. 10-20 Federation ships
2. 1-5 Borg ships (at least one cube, mixture of smaller stuff)
3. Borg get 500% more health than the Federation ships.
4. End result? THIS
Agreed totally we need that feeling of badass Borg - not the easy one STO has had in the past let it be a challenge



(Oh and while your at it change the appearence of Borg to the Next Gen outfits :p)
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 39
09-02-2011, 08:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by meehee View Post
i played a borg encounter last night which was working properly and only had 4 other people in it, it was the CE all over again. Against the big borg ship, too many n00bs shooting the irrelevant probes and not focusing on the regen probes and the big ship.... We failed spectacularly... i think there was only one other person in the group who had an idea of how to do it !

This soured me completely off the borg invasion... why should i waste time waiting for a red alert, travel to it, and waste 15 mins of my life for nothing over and over again.... With the borg encounters fixed so only 5 people are in them, i can quickly see them entering the ranks of the CE..... no one bothering with them..... Whats the point of hunting them when there's the possibility we will be teamed with morons who don't know how to do it.....

Ohh well, maybe in another 2 months there will be something to do !!!
Well the same applies to the Borg STF's...I dont see it as a waste of time, but a learning experience to make players better prepared on what's to come should a fail occurr. Everyone's been a n00b at one time or another in this game (and several other games). And no, I was not in your particular instance...LOL
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 40
09-02-2011, 08:22 AM
Here is how i would have structured the invasions:

Open for all levels, but no level adjusting, these are the borg, the enemy, no ***** footing around.
Next have the command ship warp in together with the fleet of cubes and spheres and be actively protected by them, so to get to the command ships, you have to deal with his escorts first or while you pound the command ship.
It is an invasion fleet and not a circus shooting attraction.
Have the escort fleet scale up with the number of players in the instance,
Let the instance run till either the borg are defeated or reach their goal. for example, they warp into the orbit of a planet, the command ship starts assimilating the planet while the players try to turn it into scrap metal.

Of course you need some kind if instance limit so the server can still handle it, but it should be high, its an invasion, it should feel like an invasion.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:36 AM.