Lt. Commander
# 11
09-02-2011, 12:58 PM
Sorry, but I'm honestly not sure where the conflict is supposed to.
It only says there was a partially-constructed Galaxy class in the surface facility.
This could refer to certain part pre-assembled before being taken into orbit.
Might be similar to a model-kit.
All the parts are there but to finally assemble it you need to take it out of the box and actually build it.
Lt. Commander
# 12
09-02-2011, 02:40 PM
If you look at the image from the drafting room, the saucer section is still mostly skeleton and if you look at the images from the surface of Mars the parts look mostly finished.

Also you said about how the ships are constructed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mister_dee
They are built entirely in space.
And used the drafting room picture to try to show that. I said they were constructed on the surface and assembled in space. Seems conflicting to me, but I was not talking about what you posted as much as I was about how it was presented in two images from the TV show.
Lt. Commander
# 13
09-02-2011, 02:57 PM
Congratulations, you overnitpicked.
I'm out of this thread.
Lt. Commander
# 14
09-02-2011, 03:16 PM
I believe one of the plagues at SF Academy actually talks about the F and tells where it was constructed. I seem to recall someone posting a screenshot about it on the forum at one time.
Lt. Commander
# 15
09-02-2011, 03:27 PM
Quote:
Congratulations, you overnitpicked.
I'm out of this thread.
Congratulations, you overreacting.

Try to have a serious geek conversation with some people. ROFL
Lt. Commander
# 16
09-02-2011, 11:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhaw View Post
They either constructed the parts on the ground and then assembled them in orbit or they did it all in orbit. Either way being capable of atmospheric flight is not an issue for a ship constructed in orbit. The Intrepid Class was not constructed at Utopia Planitia Shipyards because it was capable of atmospheric flight it was capable of atmospheric flight by design. That has nothing to do with where it was built.
Actually, Voyager WAS constructed in orbit at the Utopia Planitia Fleet Yards: http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/USS_Voyager - Memory Alpha deals in canon, but also states what information isn't in the references section. But anyway, during a late Voyager episode, Seven of Nine time travels to just before Voyager's launch where she's being overseen by Janeway and Admiral Paris in orbit over Mars. Ultimately, she set sail on her maiden voyage from Earth Station McKinley, though.

I read SOMEWHERE, and I say it that way as I can't remember where, that for Star Trek (2009) they decided that the "Warp engines had to be balanced in a gravity environment" and that was the primary explanation for building the massive (as it's actually larger than The Original Series version, at least in crew count if not also in size) alternate universe's Constitution Class Enterprise on the ground before lifting it to orbit on antigravity lifts o_O But doing the same with the Galaxy-Class? I dunno, that ship's HUGE, lol! But it would be cool to see something that massive being lifted into orbit, hehehe
Lt. Commander
# 17
09-03-2011, 12:15 AM
A ship is never going to be constructed all in one spot, is it?

Carpets would be one extreme example. You're not going to contract a carpet weaver and put him in an EVA suit so he can weave the carpets while orbiting Mars, you're not even going to have the carpets weaved in the ship once it has life support up.

Each component would be constructed wherever it would be most efficient to do so, taking into account environment, resources, security and transport. It's not guaranteed that the method would be exactly the same for all ships or even all fleetyards. That would be an assumption or poor conjecture.

And even if every single ship in Starfleet was built exactly the same way, if Starfleet suddenly did it different for whatever reason it wouldn't exactly destroy the space-time continuum.
Lt. Commander
# 18
09-03-2011, 02:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhaw View Post
Congratulations, you overreacting.

Try to have a serious geek conversation with some people. ROFL
When you deliberately want to misunderstand me only to annoy me, I don't think I'm overreacting.
Or do you honestly believe I meant they are building every circuit board, every chair, every door in space?
Lt. Commander
# 19
09-03-2011, 08:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorranQ View Post
Actually, Voyager WAS constructed in orbit at the Utopia Planitia Fleet Yards: http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/USS_Voyager - Memory Alpha deals in canon, but also states what information isn't in the references section. But anyway, during a late Voyager episode, Seven of Nine time travels to just before Voyager's launch where she's being overseen by Janeway and Admiral Paris in orbit over Mars. Ultimately, she set sail on her maiden voyage from Earth Station McKinley, though.
Congratulations, you over nitpicked! lol j/k

I was talking about how Galaxy Class construction was either on the ground or in orbit because that was the focus of the reply. I was only talking about the Intrepid to the extent that what it was designed to do did not determine it was constructed on the ground. In addition, how that did not somehow mean that a Galaxy Class was not constructed at Utopia Planitia Fleet Yards just because it was not cable of atmospheric flight like the Intrepid. Does that make sense?

I did not say one way or the other where Voyager or any Intrepid class was constructed, but I am not going to assume you are purposely trying to annoy me.

In regards to the Enterprise F if they have already picked where it was built than that will not change. It would be nice to see something with it at Utopia Planitia Fleet Yards, but I doubt it will be seen coming out of dry-dock anywhere.

Quote:
When you deliberately want to misunderstand me only to annoy me, I don't think I'm overreacting.
Or do you honestly believe I meant they are building every circuit board, every chair, every door in space?
It is either one extreme or the other that I am thinking. How much money do you make mind reading over the internet? Is there anything else I am thinking you would care you share with me? If you want to take it personally that is fine because I have nothing to gain from you thinking I am out to get you or from you believing I am not. It is your mind and you have to live in it not me. I cannot read minds and neither can you. Never assume something is as clear to you as it is to someone else.

If I were trolling you, do you not think your reaction would be rewarding for me? Do you jump on command as well?
Lt. Commander
# 20
09-03-2011, 09:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorranQ View Post
Actually, in official trek canon not a single Enterprise is said to have been built in Space Dock. The listed official construction and systems integration sites over the years are:

Warp 5 Complex
Earth Station McKinley
Utopia Planitia Ship Yards
& the San Francisco Fleet Yards

...so, it wouldn't be farfetched if we saw the Odyssey coming out of Mars orbit like the Galaxy-Class once did, hehe.
Galaxy class needed the massive facilities of Utopia Planitia but you are correct id say either Utopia or McKinley.