Lt. Commander
# 1 RE's Mission Review Thread
08-06-2011, 04:25 PM
I'd like to start up a thread to review missions that you subimt to me here, with the foundry now back and online. There have been some really good review threads in the past, and while I don't think I can quite get up to their degree of awesomeness, I think we need a thread here and I'll do my damndest to try!

First of all, these won't quite be objective reviews. I have a certain expectation of what I personally consider to be a good mission, and while a very texty mission might have an awesome plot, if I start getting bored and clicking through text boxes the overall score may be affected, for example.

I'm interested in helping everybody make their missions better to increase the overall quality of the game, and to a degree I'm willing to give feedback if you have specific questions about your mission too. Just post it in this thread.

I will also try to take a few screenshots during mission reviews as well. Let me know if you'd like me to focus on anything specific here.

Here's the criteria for my reviews:

STORY > Out of 5
Things like pacing, characters, and overall coolness of the mission go in this category. Too much dialogue? Too little? Everything explained? Will be reflected here.

LOOK & FEEL > Out of 5
Did you build a cool map, or is it very hum-drum? The look and feel of the mission on the whole goes in this section.

TECHNICAL EXECUTION > Out of 5
This section reflects use of the Foundry tools, getting the system to do cool stuff and the like go here.

DIFFICULTY > Out of 5
The overall difficulty of the mission will go here. I usually play missions on plain ol' Normal unless otherwise requested. Too hard? Too easy? Will be reflected here.

OVERALL RATING > Out of 5
Not an average of the above items, but an overall view of my impressions for the mission. Any miscellaneous items that affected my impression will go here.

A note about ratings: I will sometimes give you a ".5" on your score. If this happens in the "Overall Rating" category I will usually end up rounding down.

Also, Fed missions will be best. I have a Klingon character but she's not that high level, so unless it's an any level mission I might have a hard time accommodating you.

So, have at it. Please leave me your mission name and ID number. Once the ball gets rolling I'll see how often I can squeeze these in.
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-06-2011, 08:51 PM
Good idea RE! To get things started, I shall send my series "Descent into Madness" your way. There are 2 parts and a third in development. You may find them by searching my handle, "futurecaptain" or by searching by title. They are both level 41+ and around 30 mins+ for each. I look forward to your comments!
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-07-2011, 01:33 AM
Great idea, its good to find people willing to try the missions out as it is hard sometimes to get them played. I appreciate your help.

A couple of mine -

ST-HEEQIYLQ8 - Unwelcome Reflections
ST-HCUC4UJML - The Vornan Rebellion

And if you play Klinks too - ST-HTV8WHFTH The Vornan Uprising

Thanks again, look forward to your feedback!
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-07-2011, 07:01 PM
THanks guys - if you can do me a huge favor and select 1 mission at a time for me to take a look at, that would be beneficial! Just edit your original posts. OTherwise I will be taking the first one on your list.

Will try to do these tonight and have something up later on.
Lt. Commander
# 5
08-07-2011, 11:22 PM
Review: Descent Into Madness
Author: Futurecaptain

Summary: Starfleet has detected a strange Klingon faction base in Borg space and would like you to investigate. Once there, you find some interesting things happening right under the Borg's noses... is their technology getting commandeered by an upstart Orion matriarch?

Story > 3.5/5

Overall, I liked the mission setup. But why is there a Klingon faction base in Borg space? Seems like it would set up a red flag in Starfleet's initial evaluation. This might get explained later in the series. It might be nice to see Starfleet or the character's boffs talk a little bit about this.
Why are there borg ships and a complex in orbit around the planet and they're hardly touched upon by the plot? Are they borg controlled or orion controlled?
Interrogating the injured Gorn was a fun idea that could be expanded upon. Of course he'll get healed, but maybe a boff wants to press more information from him before he gets his meds? And having him get actually healed instead of put to sleep would be more Starfleet-y.
The Orion main antagonist was a fun villian but a bit of a caricature of a cackling villain. Hope to see more of her.

Look&Feel > 3.5/5

The first two maps (approaching the Bounty and aboard the Bounty) were a little too straightforward - that is, you just run through some ambiance and get to the end to start a dialogue. It would be nice if there was a little bit more to these maps.
Would have liked to have seen consistent uniforms on the Bounty crew, but otherwise good ambiance on the way to the captain. Many of those Starfleet characters are the basic costumes available in the Foundry editor though. It's too bad that this scene and characters don't have much relevance to the main story.
First two maps are quite short. just go one place and have 1 conversation before zoning.
Cestus III surface - had a hard time taking out the 2nd set of guards in the tower until i realized i had to climb the rock, that was a fun method of wiping those guys out!
Good explanation of the change in scenery when going down the levels.

Tech > 3.5/5
Nice invisible walls to hide Borg from attacking, loved that they came after me on the way back out. Good wow factor there. Everything else was pretty standard.

Difficulty > 4/5
Good ground Borg battle in front of the Matriarch, almost ate it once on Normal!

OVERALL RATING > 4 stars / 5
Part 1 of a story with an interesting premise that left me wondering what's going to happen later in the series. A few interesting set pieces and a nice Foundry trick kept me going. A few plot holes and otherwise minor issues, but a nice standard execution and an appropriate amount of dialogue gives this a solid 4.

Photo album (For some reason they upload backwards. View them in reverse!):
www.photobucket.com/descentintomadness
Lt. Commander
# 6
08-08-2011, 01:20 AM
Review: Unwanted Reflections
Author: Stylsy

Summary: Strange readings have been coming from the Pi Canis sector block. Investigation results in a little too much excitement on the side of the Hirogen, who have taken to new interdimensional heights in order to quench their need for a new hunting ground.

Story > 3.5 / 5
Liked the interaction with the Kreechta. A little strange to have to intimidate him about searching his ship in what is perhaps not federation space but its a well made plot device.
Hirogen immediately identified as being from original universe? not exactly explained. It's cool to see the hirogen looking elsewhere for their hunt, though.
The tie up was very neat and pretty. Overall I liked the plot even though there were some holes to be had.

Feel > 3.5 / 5
Really liked the mirror denobulan captain and the mirror Ferengi guys, really gives a great flavor for the mirror universe mission.
Hirogen base was pretty basic, I've seen that used so many times in exploration missions. maybe give this one more hirogen detail accessories?
All the dialogue was well written, and there wasn't excessive or a lack of it either.

Tech > 2.5 / 5
Scanning animations would be nice in the first debris field on Honod system map.
With the nebula in the mirror universe, clear direction isn't given about where to go. Had to wander around and guess on a direction in order to get away. I went Right and exited the nebula, but objective did not complete. Had to fly around the planet - not sure if this was intentional.
When the mirror ships came in on the way back to the anomaly, i was going at full impulse and missed the first wave entirely, not sure if that was intentional.
Overall I get the feeling that you're warming up to the Foundry tools but aren't quite pro yet. Keep on it though!

Difficulty > 4 / 5
Battles on the hirogen base were pretty well balanced, even on normal. Party didn't wipe but came close a time or two.
Was able to bypass much of the Terran defense of the anomaly, as mentioned above.

OVERALL RATING > 4 stars / 5
I think the neat story did a lot to keep the rating fairly high. Keep up the good work and you're bound to make some really cool stuff.

Photo Album:
www.photobucket.com/unwantedreflections
Lt. Commander
# 7
08-08-2011, 04:12 AM
Great idea and I like the approach to reviewing. It allows the author to improve on the mission based on what you focused on.

My mission is called- 'War or Peace'
---It still hasn't recieved the 5 reviews yet, so you'll have to look it up in the review foundry mission section.---

Again, it's great to see someone take control like this to make the foundry missions better!
Lt. Commander
# 8 Omega Directive Revisited
08-08-2011, 04:18 AM
Hey Rogue,

Seeing how you are already familiar with my Spawn of Medusa missions, I'll toss in my rewrite of my first
Foundry Mission.

Title: Omega Directive Revisited
ID#: ST-HKMPMUMUZ
Level: 31+
Allegiance: Federation
Starting Location: Wall Console outside Main Transporter Room on Earth Space Dock
Time: Approximately 1.5 Hours

This is actually my second part that has been rewritten to take the place of my first. The second has been the more popular and the first had some "Questionable" story issues so I deleted it and converted Part 2 to stand on it's own and renamed it accordingly. I am much happier with the finished product now then when it was a 2 part mission. Hope you give it go and enjoy it.

Note: There are a few visual glitches that were not there originally (S4 bug) involving the tanks housing the Omega Molecules in the Dominion lab, and also a looping dialogue involving a puzzle to drop a forcefield that you already have completed as you are about to escape the station. Simply minimize it and continue. It does not affect the mission outcome.

Thanks for the thread. Looking forward to your reviews.

Duke-of-Rock
Lt. Commander
# 9
08-08-2011, 04:37 AM
Title: A Pun to Farr
ID#: ST-HD9U4FMM9
Level: 1+
Starting Location: Briar Patch, Regulus Sector Block
Time: Approximately 1 Hour

A "Pun To Farr" What starts as a rescue mission evolves into a tale of love and life saving medical science

My first foundry mission, optional combat in the first part of the mission the rest is dialogue heavy, just supposed to be a fun quick mission to play through and links in with two different episodes of voyager and provides a lot of information on the vulcan mating cycle
Lt. Commander
# 10
08-08-2011, 04:51 AM
I'll just rip off Duke's formatting, to get some kind of order in here.

I don't know if you played my Zombie mission yet, but it can't hurt to post it again, right?

Title: Left to Die
ID#: ST-HMMWCFTKM
Level: Any Level
Starting Location: DS9, SW Airlock
Time: Approximately 1 Hour

The mission has been overhauled after the Foundry went back on and should work flawlessly. I recommend not using DoT3 weapons, because you could accidentally kill important NPCs with them. Oh and there are optional bits of story in Sickbay and the Captain's Ready Room.

I am looking forward to your reviews.