Lt. Commander
# 1 More Trek Like
09-04-2011, 09:18 AM
I have read how some think that the progression modeling does not fit a Trek Universe (i.e., everyone can make Admiral ranks). Well, that fact is that Admirals don't command ships, but command formations. The end state for STO should have alwasy been CPT. That is the highest rank for commanding a ship (most likely the most advanced ships. If this is in mind then this is a better progression model

1-10 Lieutenants commanding Auxillary Ships (old vessels updated for local patrols - this serves as the intro levels for players and in ships like the Miranda, Oberth, NX

11-20 Lt Commander commanding Light Ships (modest firepower and dealing with slightly more aggressive situations; not much different from game).

The first major change:

21-30 Commander (Level 1) commanding general purpose ships (a ship with better firepower than the light, but no exceptional in any one area.

31-40 Commander (Level 2) commanding a special purpose ship (a ship with unique skill based on the ship captain , as the game is currently using for TAC/ENG/SCI) - this should be significant advantages

41-50 Captain (Level 1) command a Heavy general or special purpose ship (players choice) that can be configured as the player desires

The next part reflects the expected increase to 61

51-60 Captain (Level 2) commands an Advanced ship that can be configured for two special capabilities (i.e., TAC and ENG, ENG and SCI, or Double SCI), again this is up tot he player, but these ships are the latest in design and the most advanced in Starfleet.

FInally, the End Game Rank

61 Fleet Captain (not an Admiral rank) that can command a small patrol of ships (either using the player's other ships and Boffs turned into CPT, or an NPC generated group of ships)

The bottom line is that the player never progresses beyon CAPTAIN, therefore the player is always in a position to command a ship. The Star Trek series has had Fleet Captains and most times you see CAPTAIN (full rank) commanding the most advanced ships; so lets keep the Admiral stuff out of the game.

P.S. Yes, I do have an RALH character, but it doesn't make sense since he doesn't command a formation.
Lt. Commander
# 2
09-04-2011, 04:25 PM
this is exactly how it should of been from the start (minus the fleet captain, i dont think its trek like to command fleets, despite being huge fan of Star Trek Star Fleet Command back in the day), God knows what they will do after Fleet Admiral... Grand Admiral, Lord Grand Admiral? Supreme Lord Grand Admiral?

Captain should be the final rank and just add levels on to that, and for the lifers let them have an admiral title option along with the three bordered pips for investing so much money into this game all at once
Lt. Commander
# 3
09-04-2011, 04:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandrominus
this is exactly how it should of been from the start (minus the fleet captain, i dont think its trek like to command fleets, despite being huge fan of Star Trek Star Fleet Command back in the day), God knows what they will do after Fleet Admiral... Grand Admiral, Lord Grand Admiral? Supreme Lord Grand Admiral?

Captain should be the final rank and just add levels on to that, and for the lifers let them have an admiral title option along with the three bordered pips for investing so much money into this game all at once
They will do the logical thing... Grand Moff...

That being said I do agree with the OP. I wish the titles were more trek. Id assume 90% of the people playing STO are ST fans. Therefore the lore is important. FAR more important than those who play other MMO's like WoW or whatever. Those are made up stories spanning a few years old which have continually been changed and people generally don't play them for the story.

Star Trek is a MASSIVE IP that has been around for decades and you can bet if someone likes Trek then they like it for the stories and not because it has a space ship in it or whatever (it does help ).

Fact is Cryptic havn't done a hugely awesome job at keeping it canon and Trek. I do have confidence that Dan is slowly steering us towards more Trek like stuff but its not enough yet...

You can bet your bottom dollar that the Star Wars MMO will be hugely close to canon. The reason for that is the reason I said above. Its a long franchise that fans take very seriously. Messing with that isn't a good idea...

Theres no reason why Trek shoudln't be any different.
Lt. Commander
# 4
09-05-2011, 05:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkeh86 View Post
Theres no reason why Trek shoudln't be any different.
what happens in most trek episodes? Drama between crew...MAYBE a short fight between crew and/or ships...rest of the time is story, buildup, and character interactions.

that formula would be FINE for a single player game (just because you CAN solo in STO to the top does NOT make it the same)

but it does NOT work for an MMO.

now I'm in no way defending cryptic...it's absurd how rushed out the door this game was at release....and a lot of the missions are just pathetic in how you rush in guns blazing...I personally love the "disintegrate-do-not-stun" bar fight you get into..or the murderous removal of an alien species from their holy ground because they don't want to share with Star Fleet.

but what Star Trek IS will NOT stand up to being an MMO...

so yes there IS a reason Star Trek needs to be different. Star Wars is all about action, flashy combat, starship battles, ground battles, etc...that fits PERFECTLY into an MMO. Star Trek is about exploration, diplomancy, "bettering" of one-self...etc...that kind of thing is great (to the fans) but does NOT translate into a good MMO.

why do you think we have a Miranda (upgraded to current level of tech or not) taking on 5 waves of 3 Klingon Birds-of-Prey??? if that happened in an episode it would be over in the first exchange of fire....and NOT in favor of your Miranda.

Star Wars on the other hand has always shown ONE exceptional fighter (usually assisted by the Force) taking down countless waves of enemies...or ONE jedi kiling thousands of storm-fodder, I mean troopers.

Now don't misunderstand me, I'm in NO WAY saying one is better then the other (SW vs ST)..but Star Wars in FACT makes a better MMO by NATURE then Star Trek ever can.

So, again, no you CANNOT say that just because Star Wars can be translated so well to an MMO does not mean Star Trek can. in fact it's just the opposite.
Lt. Commander
# 5
09-05-2011, 06:51 AM
I agree that once we hit captain, we should have just continued to advance as a Captain, never obtaining Admiral, with Captain having multiple grades and ranks. Then, what the OP suggested, Fleet Captain being a final "grade" but allowing for further ranks, should the level cap continue to increase.

Admirals should never have been allowed to be players, in my opinion.
Lt. Commander
# 6
09-05-2011, 07:11 AM
"One of the perks of being Admiral is you get to choose your own ship"
-Admiral Riker in "All Good Things..."

Also, this game breaks Trek canon just by the shear number of players commanding ships. In MMOs gameplay takes precedence over canon restraints more so than any other game.