Lt. Commander
# 1 A suggestion for traveling.
09-04-2011, 08:49 AM
Here's something I've wanted for a long time -
Rather than picking destinations off the area map, I think we should be able to go to our bridge and tell our helmsman (hopefully after the cloning glitch gets fixed) to plot a course for x location and then we can roam our ship during the x amount of time it takes to arrive at said location.... and if DSE comes up or we get a hail from whatever side quest, it works like it does on the shows. either we go to Red Alert and report to the bridge or we answer the coms... respectively of course. it's a lot less boring than just sitting there and waiting for 10 min while flying across vast voids of space.

anyone else like this idea?
Lt. Commander
# 2
09-04-2011, 08:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Hardy View Post
Here's something I've wanted for a long time -
Rather than picking destinations off the area map, I think we should be able to go to our bridge and tell our helmsman (hopefully after the cloning glitch gets fixed) to plot a course for x location and then we can roam our ship during the x amount of time it takes to arrive at said location.... and if DSE comes up or we get a hail from whatever side quest, it works like it does on the shows. either we go to Red Alert and report to the bridge or we answer the coms... respectively of course. it's a lot less boring than just sitting there and waiting for 10 min while flying across vast voids of space.

anyone else like this idea?
Hmmm, this has never been brought up before, ever, no really...

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...w=1216&bih=959
Lt. Commander
# 3
09-04-2011, 10:28 AM
*rolls eyes* well, it hasn't in a while.
Lt. Commander
# 4
09-04-2011, 03:11 PM
This has been widely spoken about and suggested since launch. I too would like to see this feature. It makes sense to let us run around our interior doing whatever while we travel.

The idea has been in discussion I believe but im not sure where that got to. Perhaps they will implement it at some stage im not sure.

I think it would make more sense to get space to be one huge area (remove all the sector 'walls') before we look at a feature like that.

Once that has been done then it is a better time to look at this form of transport and it would definately make sense to implement it. Pre-determined times to go from A to B could be worked out and that could be the time you have on your bridge to 'wait'. So for example it may take 5 minutes to go from Sol to Risa or something (nothing overly long!). During that time you can explore your ship interior and do whatever you want (hopefully by this time there are more functional things onboard).

Also they could add the chance of running into random encounters upon the way. Kind of like a trade-off. You can fly to a destination manually or use the helmsman with a 10% risk of being ambushed during your flight. The ambush itself should be something small (taking less than a few minutes to 'complete').

Theres loads of suggestions you can throw out for it and I definately think its a good idea but as it stands it isn't the right time, for above mentioned reason.
Lt. Commander
# 5
09-04-2011, 03:22 PM
I believe that the Dev's have told Us (several times) that the "engine" of this game, would need a drastic overhaul in order to support that kind of game-play...

Due to the fact that Our Ship Avatar and Our Ground Avatar are essentially the same Avatar with a different skin, depending on our location (space or ground).

They would have too design a way to essentially split our Avatar in two, so that it could be in both places at the same time (Our Bridge AND Space).

Dsthal said it was possible, but not very likely, due to the cost to implement it.

In past Threads on this topic, the STO Forum Posters have been very split on this idea.
Lt. Commander
# 6
09-04-2011, 03:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyNY View Post
I believe that the Dev's have told Us (several times) that the "engine" of this game, would need a drastic overhaul in order to support that kind of game-play...

Due to the fact that Our Ship Avatar and Our Ground Avatar are essentially the same Avatar with a different skin, depending on our location (space or ground).

They would have too design a way to essentially split our Avatar in two, so that it could be in both places at the same time (Our Bridge AND Space).

Dsthal said it was possible, but not very likely, due to the cost to implement it.

In past Threads on this topic, the STO Forum Posters have been very split on this idea.
They could always remove you from space and just use the bridge as a gateway from 1 area to another. Similar to a loading screen if you get my meaning...
Lt. Commander
# 7
09-04-2011, 04:03 PM
or a seperate mini-screen with the ship...
Lt. Commander
# 8
09-04-2011, 06:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkeh86 View Post
They could always remove you from space and just use the bridge as a gateway from 1 area to another. Similar to a loading screen if you get my meaning...
The fact that We actually fly our ships through space to get places, is a BIG draw for this game, I doubt that They would change that at this point.

Unfortunatelly, what you ask for is not something that is likely to happen anytime soon. (If ever)

Just in case you didn't get the hint in my first post...

Dsthal (the EP of the game) has essentially said "Not Going To Happen" several times to this particular request in the last 12 or so months.

I'm sorry for being so blunt, but these are the facts.
Lt. Commander
# 9
09-05-2011, 02:54 PM
Well what I would like is to ask navigation to take me to ANY destination I want without me having to accept all these damn "warp to sector <x>"? Sometimes traveling times can be severe and I would like to at Romulus say "hey, take me to DS9". I could then go to the bathroom and get a drink or something. Write another chapter o0f my novel while flying from Btran to Memory Alpha.
Lt. Commander
# 10
09-05-2011, 03:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsabonayev
Well what I would like is to ask navigation to take me to ANY destination I want without me having to accept all these damn "warp to sector <x>"? Sometimes traveling times can be severe and I would like to at Romulus say "hey, take me to DS9". I could then go to the bathroom and get a drink or something. Write another chapter o0f my novel while flying from Btran to Memory Alpha.
That's planned. Check the Engineering reports "One sector map to rule the all"

peter