Lt. Commander
Don't get me wrong, but as a long time gamer, who has played several MMO's mainly WoW since it came out. Why is this game so empty of real content? 95% of the missions in this game are solo, random quests of 8 types. either your hunting down 5 space anamolies, scanning computer's in an abandoned space base, scanning computers in a space base full of enemies, scanning items on a empty planet, or scanning items on a planet full of hostiles, or giving items to a planet leader.

That's basically 95% of all missions in this game, items don't really get that much better with quality, and the ships... Once you get to endgame, its basically 5-7 ships that you can use, and if you bought the lower versions like the NX Enterprise, the original series Enterprise.... Their useless, ya their nice to have.. but their trash and unsuable with no upgrading weapon slots etc!

The episode missions are great, but there's not enough, the endgame borg 5 person missions are great, but because this game is solo 95% of the time.... No one knows how to act as a team, and their typically horrible failures(unless ur with friends that are decent). The non random missions are great, but their so few and far between, after playing this game for months, I still feel like its a solo game, with no meat to it, the game is basicallly as empty as space! Yes you might find a neat planet in space,but compared to the bulk of it... ITS A EMPTY VOID!

I hope to god now that Atari is out of the picture the staff will generate some real content, but after all this time out, the game still has less content to it than original WoW did years and years ago!

I have seen some real improvements, but their baby steps, that if I wasnt a trekkie nerd I would have quit long ago. Is it just me? Have the staff of this game never played a good MMO and see what is involved and what story depth is needed?
Lt. Commander
# 2
09-04-2011, 02:04 PM
have you played KDF? its a really pvp heavy side of the game where your allways with someone. the war zones offer the chance to help or fight the other faciton over a pve mission. you can run every mission in the game with up to 4 people and can share your mission with others if they wont to help.
Lt. Commander
# 3
09-04-2011, 02:18 PM
they had 18 months to 2 years or so to develop the game on limited budget from a parent company in massive debt based on one of the biggest franchises in history. it never gave them a chance really to make the game something special so yeah the game was fairly weak to begin with. i personally found many of the mission more fun than the standard mo's but it was lacking big time as they had to make content qucikly.

we are starting to see some of the quality in new missions but we do need more. it will take a while but the devs know how to make good content, they just need the time and the resources to do it. i think pw will provide that.
Lt. Commander
# 4
09-04-2011, 02:26 PM
Good points... STO hasd now failed as a PTP MMO, now its going FTP we may actually see more content weirdly enough! mind you if we dont and its FTP...... itll be a disaster.
Lt. Commander
# 5
09-04-2011, 02:48 PM
yes I've tried KDF and I will say it wasn't as bad, now atleast, it was even worse than Fed for alongtime!

I've given them the benefit of the doubt until now, and not really said much, and yes I understand the release issues, and budget, I've read about them enough... but still they need to get cracking fast and hard, cause FTP isn't going to work well if they don't add content and fast... And excuses wont keep the servers running.

I dont want to see this game die out from going broke at all. They need alot more than season 4 has been, Red Alerts are fun...the first 20 times.

Reading the latest Game Informer they tell the story of how the Super Mario Bro's Movie flopped so massively, and the typical attitude is the same. Rushed development and not enough knowledge of the product beforehand
Lt. Commander
# 6
09-04-2011, 03:16 PM
This game has many problems and many areas that are lacking. Most of this is probably due to Atari limiting Cryptic, because in my opinion they just wanted to pull a cash chunk from trekkies knowing full well they would shop out the game. I dare say, based on whats been going on that Cryptic might have always wanted a F2P model for STO. For example multiple bugs that have been around for months on end, limited content release, and the fact that they, Crypic, have been re-mastering low level missions and adding low lvl ships... All this points to a move to a F2P model.

If you started the game today, despite it's repetitive content, you would see a much better version of the game than what we had at release.

As a trekkie who has been around since beta, well I feel a little disrespected, and possibly exploited. Don't really know who to be mad at right now Atari or Cryptic, but I have a feeling that more information will be coming to light in the next couple of weeks, which will restore my faith in Cryptic.

Heck if they finally fix the cloaking bugs, I'd buy them all a drink. Question is Scotch or Bourbon.
Lt. Commander
# 7
09-04-2011, 06:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fewzz View Post
Good points... STO hasd now failed as a PTP MMO, now its going FTP we may actually see more content weirdly enough! mind you if we dont and its FTP...... itll be a disaster.
now this describes what going FTP really means. they should have started better, whit more content and more variety. maybe the STFs are to hard maybe the players are inexperienced still most groups fail miserably. they should have made more content like them at lower levels so players can learn how to work together and scale up difficulty as players learn. all they can do now is lower the difficultly of them... a poor fix but a necessary one to draw players into PvE group contend.
Lt. Commander
# 8
09-05-2011, 01:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AreYouReady2Die View Post
Reading the latest Game Informer they tell the story of how the Super Mario Bro's Movie flopped so massively, and the typical attitude is the same. Rushed development and not enough knowledge of the product beforehand
I'm not sure SMB is a fair comparison though. With SMB, Nintendo basically said, go out there, and make it happen, whereas here, things have to be run by CBS before they can show up in game.

Now, the other side, and I don't know how true this is today, was that Paramount was psychotically protective of the property. The CCG from Decipher was originally scheduled to have an expansion release every four to six months, but Paramount's review process dragged it out so the sets were taking ten to twelve months from initial design to publication. While this is a somewhat different situation, the problem could easily be the exact opposite of SMB. They know what they're doing, but getting approval to actually do anything mired them.

Where I'm going with this is that neither is necessarily a good comparison to make. The CCG was under Paramount, while this is under CBS' license, for instance. Though we do know that CBS does have to approve at least some of the content before it can go live.
Lt. Commander
# 9
09-05-2011, 01:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Revo
they had 18 months to 2 years or so to develop the game on limited budget from a parent company in massive debt based on one of the biggest franchises in history. it never gave them a chance really to make the game something special so yeah the game was fairly weak to begin with. i personally found many of the mission more fun than the standard mo's but it was lacking big time as they had to make content qucikly.

we are starting to see some of the quality in new missions but we do need more. it will take a while but the devs know how to make good content, they just need the time and the resources to do it. i think pw will provide that.
Well stated!