Lt. Commander
# 11
09-05-2011, 09:03 AM
Quote:
I didnt miss the part but you named ONE of dozents of enemys.
Also, especially the Klingons happen to be the one faction I thing the Federation shouldnt be at war with in the first place, but thats a diffrent topic.
The Klingon's are at war with the Federation though and are one of the few that make sense having the strength to actually challenge Starfleet. That it also gives Klingon fans access to the faction they'd prefer to play is just a huge bonus.

Quote:
And THEY ARE unlike the Borg, the kind of enemy you can show on a regular base.
From a player of a video game, I get a little bored of seeing the Borg all the time. The tweeks to the powers they use in combat spiced them up a little but it's still a little repetitive.
From the ST perspective (which is where I think you're coming from judging by the quoted comment) then I don't have an issue with seeing the Borg everywhere; they're in the middle of an invasion of the Alpha and beta Quadrant powers which has been ongoing for some time, it makes sense for me for the Borg to be everywhere.

Quote:
I'd actually prefer it NOT TO BE FOCUSSED AT ALL. Focus always leads up to a lack of variaty. The result shows here: BOrg Borg and more Borg. And thats still boring.

Storylines, yes. But not all about the same subject.
And there I'l have to disagree as I'd rather have some structure to what happens in STO. With the primary threat being the Borg it makes sense that at VA they're the main enemy, but I'd like to see more Klingon activity (or Fed for the Klingon players) to make sense of this war that's supposedly being waged. A patrol or two along the Romulan neutral zone and through Cardassian space maybe but IMO the focus should be on the Fed/ KDF war and the Borg.
Lt. Commander
# 12
09-05-2011, 09:15 AM
I'm tired of the borg and have been for awhile.
Lt. Commander
# 13
09-05-2011, 09:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Militis View Post
The Klingon's are at war with the Federation though and are one of the few that make sense having the strength to actually challenge Starfleet. That it also gives Klingon fans access to the faction they'd prefer to play is just a huge bonus.
Couldnt disagree more. As a Klingon fan I'd rather be a "bonus" with content then what we have. As a Star Trek fan I never saw the Klingons part as big as the federation ones.
And in STO we do not get Klingons, we get Space-orks.
But again.... there are multible threads on exactly that subject.... it has little to do with the Borg everywhere....

Quote:
From a player of a video game, I get a little bored of seeing the Borg all the time. The tweeks to the powers they use in combat spiced them up a little but it's still a little repetitive.
From the ST perspective (which is where I think you're coming from judging by the quoted comment) then I don't have an issue with seeing the Borg everywhere; they're in the middle of an invasion of the Alpha and beta Quadrant powers which has been ongoing for some time, it makes sense for me for the Borg to be everywhere.
Well, I AM a player of a Video game.
And from the ST perspective.... I remember Wolf 359, I remember the battle of Sector 001, I remember the Huge fleet that was there to intercept a Sphere in "Endgame".... So form a Star Trek perspective the Alpha quadrant is officially Borg territory and the Series/game is over with the number of ships in ONE of those new DSEs.

Quote:

And there I'l have to disagree as I'd rather have some structure to what happens in STO. With the primary threat being the Borg it makes sense that at VA they're the main enemy, but I'd like to see more Klingon activity (or Fed for the Klingon players) to make sense of this war that's supposedly being waged. A patrol or two along the Romulan neutral zone and through Cardassian space maybe but IMO the focus should be on the Fed/ KDF war and the Borg.
That doesnt exclude isstelf. Something "structured" can still involve every faction without letting us run into the same over and over again.
Lt. Commander
# 14
09-05-2011, 09:54 AM
Quote:
Couldnt disagree more. As a Klingon fan I'd rather be a "bonus" with content then what we have. As a Star Trek fan I never saw the Klingons part as big as the federation ones.
And in STO we do not get Klingons, we get Space-orks.
But again.... there are multible threads on exactly that subject.... it has little to do with the Borg everywhere....
As a Klingon player I like that the KDF and Starfleet are at war; the Klingon's of TNG were dull, nothing but the 'noble savage' in space, but DS9 fleshed them out a lot and showed that their interests had little in common and much in conflict with those of the Federation.

Quote:
Well, I AM a player of a Video game.
And from the ST perspective.... I remember Wolf 359, I remember the battle of Sector 001, I remember the Huge fleet that was there to intercept a Sphere in "Endgame".... So form a Star Trek perspective the Alpha quadrant is officially Borg territory and the Series/game is over with the number of ships in ONE of those new DSEs.
I believe I covered this in the first response. I'd love for the Borg to be much more difficult than they are but people already complain about the Borg as they are now so it isn't going to happen unfortunately.
All of those Borg engagements have one thing in common with the DSE's which help to illustrate why the Borg don't control Federation and Klingon space and it isn't over for the different series and STO; the Borg were defeated. That 40 years ago it took a fleet of star ships to destroy one Cube whereas now they're mere cannon fodder doesn't change the fact the end result was the same.
Lt. Commander
# 15
09-05-2011, 10:26 AM
Quote:
As a Klingon player I like that the KDF and Starfleet are at war; the Klingon's of TNG were dull, nothing but the 'noble savage' in space, but DS9 fleshed them out a lot and showed that their interests had little in common and much in conflict with those of the Federation.
The Klingons in TNG WERE the Klingons in DS9. Also: Remember that they were allied for the major part of DS9 too. And STO they are even more dull.
The Klingons in ST6 were not. And they startet that peace. That was the legacy of the original series and it shouldnt be thrown away.

Quote:
I believe I covered this in the first response. I'd love for the Borg to be much more difficult than they are but people already complain about the Borg as they are now so it isn't going to happen unfortunately.
All of those Borg engagements have one thing in common with the DSE's which help to illustrate why the Borg don't control Federation and Klingon space and it isn't over for the different series and STO; the Borg were defeated. That 40 years ago it took a fleet of star ships to destroy one Cube whereas now they're mere cannon fodder doesn't change the fact the end result was the same.
We are still using the same ships we used 40 years ago, and with assimilating even ONE of them they should addapt to everything new.
Also... "much harder"; ANY larger scaled Borg attack should erase he Federation.
And a singel Cube should NEVER be beaten by a group under 5, there should be no occasion at all where you EVER fight more then one.

The Borg should be menacing. I could live with regular Sphere/Probe spam, but a CUBE should be rare and hard to beat.

And people complain about everything beeing "to hard".
People still believe the STFs are unduable, still believe the Klingons are OP ect ect ect.

Also, may be they would complain less about to hard borg if they would be rare and "MEANT TO BE" beaten by a coordiantet group and no other way, unlike now.
Lt. Commander
# 16
09-05-2011, 11:09 AM
I am not bored with the Borg, just left a defeated fight with me and K Cruiser in the instance. Just us two (alone!), never saw so much Plasma attacks in my life
Lt. Commander
# 17
09-05-2011, 11:14 AM
Quote:
The Klingons in TNG WERE the Klingons in DS9. Also: Remember that they were allied for the major part of DS9 too. And STO they are even more dull.
The Klingons in ST6 were not. And they startet that peace. That was the legacy of the original series and it shouldnt be thrown away.
They were allied during DS9 only when it suited them, as soon as it wasn't in their interests they were quickly laying siege to DS9. In game the two factions are already too close to each other, both in feel and in the way they interact with each other; I'd rather they were completely separate from each other, not trying to fulfill some legacy from TOS when DS9 and TNG to a lesser degree have shown that the Klingon's are very different and share few aims with the Federation.

Quote:
We are still using the same ships we used 40 years ago, and with assimilating even ONE of them they should addapt to everything new.
Also... "much harder"; ANY larger scaled Borg attack should erase he Federation.
And a singel Cube should NEVER be beaten by a group under 5, there should be no occasion at all where you EVER fight more then one.
Just because the ships look the same doesn't mean they are mechanically. As for the Borg being so superior to the AQ powers as they were in TNG, adapting to any new weapons systems and overcoming all defences, I think I'll take the more upbeat storyline of STO where the Borg are weakened and contained. Canon should always come second to gameplay. if I wanted to play a game or watch a show where my faction was constantly on the verge of defeat and was nothing but grim determination to not die, I'd watch Battlestar Galactica.

Quote:
And people complain about everything beeing "to hard".
People still believe the STFs are unduable, still believe the Klingons are OP ect ect ect.

Also, may be they would complain less about to hard borg if they would be rare and "MEANT TO BE" beaten by a coordiantet group and no other way, unlike now.
I agree and would like more team orientated content, but the same people who complain the STFs are too difficult or the Klingon's are OP also complain about the Borg sets being STF only so I doubt adding team objective based missions would make them join a group or a fleet, they'd just come here and complain about that as well as the Borg set being STF only or the OP Klingon's.
Lt. Commander
# 18
09-05-2011, 06:26 PM
Im quite enjoying the Borg invasions although ive only briefly experienced it so its not lost the novelty yet.

I would like some ground combat scenarios where the borg have taken a station or something and you have to re-capture it and perhaps hold off a few waves of incoming borg for a set time.

Now that we know the tech is there however this could open the way for other races to 'invade'. Romulan attacks on KDF for example would be a nice one.

They could even alternate the attacks so that sometimes it will be a Borg attack and other times it will be something else. Distress call for an incoming Breen attack or something....

Just a suggestion :p
Lt. Commander
# 19
09-05-2011, 08:51 PM
As for the Borg... I love everything Borg in the game... I love the Borg (especially the Queen, notable the Queen as played by Alice Krige!), I'd accept assimilation in a heart-beat most likely, if offered. I cannot get enough Borg in the game.

They need to get Alice Krige to do some Borg Voice-Overs. No no, they need to get her to do tons of Borg Voice-overs for STO.

However, on topic of the Borg being "apparently" prevalent:

I'd love to see Feature Episodes that deal with Federation Races' homeworlds.

For example, I'd love to be able to "transwarp" to Betazed to protect it from some sory of calamity, both in orbit and on the ground. (Possible mission could also include time travel to go back and ensure the Dominion were successfully driven from the Betazed Homeworld).

This is just one possible way to add these "missing homeworlds," like Betazed, to the game without actually making new sector space for them. Just make sure they are repeatable via Ready Room.

I've even begin to fiddle with my own Foundry mission line based upon Betazed. However, being a newb at the Foundry, I am running into difficulties and annoyances.

Edit: Oh, I still would like to see more Q related missions and would like to be able to repeat "State of Q."
Lt. Commander
# 20
09-05-2011, 09:59 PM
The Borg are a bit overdone, but if we ever get new endgame content it will wane again. I also get a strong feeling, for no particular reason at all... that the Iconians will end-up new endgame material. The Borg DSEs are actually nice in comparison to STFs which can be a pain. Right now I have a Borg Setup for my ship specifically to counter them. But it isn't my favorite.

Also, while I also don't like the war with the Klingons, seemingly having roots in DS9 when first flashes cropped up, it is here to stay since it is part of the premise of STO.

Personally, there should be endgame material against Romulans, Klingons/Federation (depends on faction), Breen, Tholians, and Dominion/True Way. Problem is that the Devs were seemingly more intent on pushing out extras and not content over the first year. There was talk on a radio podcast that Dstahl mentioned something about "expansions," whether or not he was meaning more feature episodes, other things, or a full-fledged Expansion is debatable.

I truly think more is on the way and the Borg will tone down. STO cannot get the diversity of content in a year that 7-8 yr old MMOs have at this time. Patience is virtue, and I can assure you that every MMO will suffer that flaw at start, even SW:TOR will likely suffer that indignity.