Lt. Commander
I'm working on a mission where the following sequence of events takes place:

1. Warp into a system. (Transition to first mission map)
2. Approach the planet (Reach a placemarker)
3. Beam down to planet (transition to ground map via "reach a placemarker")
4. Complete tasks on the ground
5. Beam back up to the ship (map transition done via "reach a placemarker")

If the map in step 5 is the same map as in step 1, the mission does not work properly. What you get is an endless loop of map transitions and no objectives.

What am I doing wrong? I have repeated this scenario using different maps, so it's not an issue with a specific map. I've tried everything I can think of. Am I doing map transitions wrong? Do I need to do something weird with my place markers, or spawn points? I'm completely at a loss, and a good bit frustrated.

I can work around this by duplicating the space map, but that gets REALLY ugly after about the third transition. Not to mention that you bump up against the limit on number of maps a LOT faster.
Lt. Commander
# 2
09-04-2011, 07:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomspark View Post
I'm working on a mission where the following sequence of events takes place:

1. Warp into a system. (Transition to first mission map)
2. Approach the planet (Reach a placemarker)
3. Beam down to planet (transition to ground map via "reach a placemarker")
4. Complete tasks on the ground
5. Beam back up to the ship (map transition done via "reach a placemarker")

If the map in step 5 is the same map as in step 1, the mission does not work properly. What you get is an endless loop of map transitions and no objectives.

What am I doing wrong? I have repeated this scenario using different maps, so it's not an issue with a specific map. I've tried everything I can think of. Am I doing map transitions wrong? Do I need to do something weird with my place markers, or spawn points? I'm completely at a loss, and a good bit frustrated.

I can work around this by duplicating the space map, but that gets REALLY ugly after about the third transition. Not to mention that you bump up against the limit on number of maps a LOT faster.
You have to duplicate the map and use the duplicated version for the 2nd or 3rd or 4th etc transition back to a previou map, otherwise it takes you back to the first.

It doesn't sound like you need more than one duplicate, according to your steps.

Does that make sense?
Lt. Commander
# 3
09-05-2011, 03:55 AM
That's what I was afraid of.

Forcing us to use duplicated maps would be a lot more palatable if there wasn't a 10 map per limit on missions. This forces long, complex missions to be broken into pieces at best.

EDIT: I do appreciate the response, though. And (off-topic), I've enjoyed your tutorials.