Lt. Commander
I'd like to thank you guys who have played a foundry mission and given the authors some real feed back and criticism. I'm not going to knock you guys for taking a star off for grammar/spelling. Its your review so give us what you think we deserve. As someone who's made a mission. I am guilty of the poor grammar and spelling clause. I have however found some surprising things people do complain about.

Sir or Maam.
I have gotten a few of these "not all captains are men" comments concerning the way I have BO's responding to chatter I have written. I'm sorry but until they give us a button or another way to put the title to properly address your character, it is a limitation of the foundry (notice the run on sentence here). Alot of us have chosen the pronoun "sir" to have your BO's address you because of ST lore concerning Starfleet regulations. If you're going to ask where they say this stuff its the very first episode of Voyager.

Bearings.
I put bearings in the dialogue of my mission. Ship bearing blah blah blah. It is ST technobabble. It means nothing in the game. People want it as a 360 degree thingy but there's no way it will ever be accurate. 360 degrees by 360 degrees might work, but I remember Mr. Worf saying numbers like " bearing 4 4 2 mark 4". I have no idea how you'll end up in relation to the object that security chief red shirt is talking about. Especially after a fight. It will never be accurate. Some one sent me an in game mail to say "bearing 8 6 7 5mark 3 0 9" would never be in lore (If you like the 80's then you got the joke).

Well I guess its just 2 odd thing I found in people's reviews. Just an observation. Watching the watchers so to speak. So let me axe youse other foundry guys or gals this; Is there something odd you guys find that people put in their reviews?
Lt. Commander
# 2
09-06-2011, 10:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldous11a View Post
I'd like to thank you guys who have played a foundry mission and given the authors some real feed back and criticism. I'm not going to knock you guys for taking a star off for grammar/spelling. Its your review so give us what you think we deserve. As someone who's made a mission. I am guilty of the poor grammar and spelling clause. I have however found some surprising things people do complain about.

Sir or Maam.
I have gotten a few of these "not all captains are men" comments concerning the way I have BO's responding to chatter I have written. I'm sorry but until they give us a button or another way to put the title to properly address your character, it is a limitation of the foundry (notice the run on sentence here). Alot of us have chosen the pronoun "sir" to have your BO's address you because of ST lore concerning Starfleet regulations. If you're going to ask where they say this stuff its the very first episode of Voyager.

Bearings.
I put bearings in the dialogue of my mission. Ship bearing blah blah blah. It is ST technobabble. It means nothing in the game. People want it as a 360 degree thingy but there's no way it will ever be accurate. 360 degrees by 360 degrees might work, but I remember Mr. Worf saying numbers like " bearing 4 4 2 mark 4". I have no idea how you'll end up in relation to the object that security chief red shirt is talking about. Especially after a fight. It will never be accurate. Some one sent me an in game mail to say "bearing 8 6 7 5mark 3 0 9" would never be in lore (If you like the 80's then you got the joke).

Well I guess its just 2 odd thing I found in people's reviews. Just an observation. Watching the watchers so to speak. So let me axe youse other foundry guys or gals this; Is there something odd you guys find that people put in their reviews?
If it makes you feel better, I always use "Sir" when referring to the player's captain because that's how they did it in the shows. I'd pull up references, but I'm just too darn lazy for that right now.

On the note of your bearings in game, if that's the only thing that bothers people about your mission, I'd say you got off pretty easy.
Lt. Commander
# 3
09-06-2011, 10:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranman1988 View Post
If it makes you feel better, I always use "Sir" when referring to the player's captain because that's how they did it in the shows. I'd pull up references, but I'm just too darn lazy for that right now.

On the note of your bearings in game, if that's the only thing that bothers people about your mission, I'd say you got off pretty easy.

lol I wish that was all but so far those are the odd ones. I get alot of the same ones other people get. Plot, grammar spelling so on so on.
Lt. Commander
# 4
09-06-2011, 01:27 PM
For Sir or Ma'am... well, not your fault if no one watched Voyager and realizes it IS ALWAYS "sir" when talking to your superior officer.

As for the "marks"... /shrug, just don't use them. Techno-babble is crap anyways, and you'll avoid any nerdy nitpickers by using more generic and less techno-babbly diretions. Sadly, you're always gonna get complete jerks who give bad reviews based on the most ridiculous stuff. I've seen perfectly made missions get one-starred, despite it being a well-constructed story with minimal spelling/grammar errors and everything working perfectly on a technical standpoint on the basis of crap like "I do not feel the antagonist's motivations were logical enough" or "it had no combat, wtf" (in a mission that explicitly states in the description it has no combat).

In fact, I'll make that my official answer: reviewers who one star a mission for the most trivial of crap. You didn't like the dialogue and the story wasn't to your tastes? Cool, that happens, not every mission has a great story or is a story every person will enjoy. But did the mission work properly? Was the dialogue error free and understandable, did the mission run smoothly without complication, poor scripting, bugs, and/or poor construction/directions that leave you lost or constantly being overwhelmed by ridiculous amounts of poorly balanced fights? It was all of those? Cool, then at the minimum pass out three stars for creating a mission that not only works but is playable. One star should be reserved for absolute messes that have reached the point of being unplayable or basically just an empty room with no story and a bunch of enemies to kill for accolade grinds.
Lt. Commander
# 5
09-06-2011, 01:31 PM
However, one thing does come to mind: I had the Sci officer in a mention call the player by his last name, lotta folks brought that one up, and one even then mentioned "no one ever called Kirk by his name."

Except, that's exactly where I got the idea: McCoy and Spock always called Kirk "Jim", figured I'd make the likely medical/science officer in my mission a little informal as a call-back to them. Oh well, guess I won't do that again. :p
Lt. Commander
# 6
09-06-2011, 03:16 PM
Actually Voyager told us it is Captain's prerogative. Janeway did not like to be called sir.

I hate it myself. Instead of "he's dead, sir!" try "he's dead, Captain!" Captain is always correct and gender neutral, and has nothing to do with rank. This is what I do.

You can also omit it entirely. You don't need to have BOFFs saying sir after every reply if that is what you do. They never did that in the shows; they were much less formal.

As for bearings, you could try to at least keep them somewhat accurate if you want to use them. Using them after a battle is probably not a great idea because of the exact reason stated, you have no idea which way they are facing. But if they are coming from a point to another point, a rough bearing giving the approximate location of the next point could stand to be reasonably accurate given the expected orientation.

I think the point people are trying to make, however, is that if you aren't going to have them somewhat accurate, they would rather you don't bother with them at all. Some people don't know that the Foundry does not support some kind of automatic bearing orientation system, and blame you for it (it would be a cool feature though). It is ultimately your choice, of course.
Lt. Commander
# 7
09-06-2011, 09:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxrocks
Actually Voyager told us it is Captain's prerogative. Janeway did not like to be called sir.

I hate it myself. Instead of "he's dead, sir!" try "he's dead, Captain!" Captain is always correct and gender neutral, and has nothing to do with rank. This is what I do.
I guess I could try gender neutral junk like "he's dead captain", but that brings up another odd thing I find people complain about; Captain? why are they calling me captain? I'm a vice admiral damn it!!".

Well the reason alot of foundry folk use captain as the rank they address the player is because of Starfleet tradition. DS9 and TNG showed it a few times (Data taking command of the Sutherland and Dax on the Defiant), that regardless of rank anyone in command of the starship is addressed as captain.
Oh and another thing is the cannon non cannon subject. This is not something I've gotten complaints about but I did read it in one of the reviews for someone's mission.
Lt. Commander
# 8
09-07-2011, 01:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldous11a View Post
I guess I could try gender neutral junk like "he's dead captain", but that brings up another odd thing I find people complain about; Captain? why are they calling me captain? I'm a vice admiral damn it!!".

Well the reason alot of foundry folk use captain as the rank they address the player is because of Starfleet tradition. DS9 and TNG showed it a few times (Data taking command of the Sutherland and Dax on the Defiant), that regardless of rank anyone in command of the starship is addressed as captain.
Oh and another thing is the cannon non cannon subject. This is not something I've gotten complaints about but I did read it in one of the reviews for someone's mission.
What people don't get you are a Captain and a Vice Admiral. Even though 'Captain' is a rank it's also a position.
Lt. Commander
# 9
09-07-2011, 03:38 AM
Actually if you watch Star Trek in women are referred to as "Sir" in recognition of tradition when the Navy was once all male. Call a female officer Sir is not meant as something of disrespect; As far as all you TREKnobabble Trek on brother; I want the stories to be as real as possible. It doesnt take a genious to figue out what 131 mark 246 means
Lt. Commander
# 10
09-07-2011, 06:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel-Hyena
However, one thing does come to mind: I had the Sci officer in a mention call the player by his last name, lotta folks brought that one up, and one even then mentioned "no one ever called Kirk by his name."

Except, that's exactly where I got the idea: McCoy and Spock always called Kirk "Jim", figured I'd make the likely medical/science officer in my mission a little informal as a call-back to them. Oh well, guess I won't do that again. :p
You are correct. Both McCoy and Spock called him Jim quite often. Also, Dr. Crusher referred to Picard as Jean-Luc quite often. Example: First Contact / Crusher: "Jean-Luc, if we destroy the Enterprise we destroy the Borg". I know there are many others. T'pol referred to Archer as Jonathan many times as well, and Chakotay called Janeway "Kathryn" as well, and the list goes on.