Lt. Commander
Well, I just read through the STO F2P feature matrix and I have to say that in comparison to the Champions Online F2P feature matrix, STO F2P features don't feel to me like they've got enough incentive for players to subscribe to the game, which is something I'm sure Cryptic would like players to do still.

What I feel is missing is a restriction not unlike the CO F2P one, that of FreeForm versus Archetype characters. These two terms, FreeForm and Archetype belong in CO of course, but in STO I think they could be translated to the following:
"FreeForm characters can choose a single career but command a ship of any type, while Archetype characters can only command the ship that matches their career choice."
In essence, on a Silver account a player can only create Engineers that command Cruisers, Science Captains that command Science vessels and Tactical Captains that command Tactical ships.

I think that those of us who care about STO would like to see it prosper and would support this because it does not detract from the freedom to enjoy the entire game through the 3 normal career paths, yet still offers an incentive to invest in the game if one wants to explore more varied gameplay options.

Opinions comments and the likes are always welcome.
Lt. Commander
# 2
09-06-2011, 10:14 AM
For reference: http://www.startrekonline.com/f2p contains content! I haven't seen the announcement yet.
Lt. Commander
# 3
09-06-2011, 10:17 AM
Yeah it does seem a little lacking in the motivation.

And then in other areas, they are still making subscribers pay for a lot of things, like costume slots and BO slotd and such.
Lt. Commander
# 4
09-06-2011, 10:31 AM
Quote:
"FreeForm characters can choose a single career but command a ship of any type, while Archetype characters can only command the ship that matches their career choice."
I was expecting this would be a feature of the conversion (along with Featured Episodes being purchasable for silver players) and was surprised to see that, at least of this writing, it isn't. Maybe they expect players to buy more C-store ships if they're not locked to their career?
Lt. Commander
# 5
09-06-2011, 10:37 AM
Yeah - there just doesn't seem to be much incentive to regularly part with 10 a month for Gold Membership.

I'm fine with only 400 C-Store points, but I really thought there would be a class of content or a suite of items that would be limited to Gold players.
Lt. Commander
# 6
Yeah. This is ridiculous.
All I get as a lifetimer is 400 points a month.

It would be cheaper to buy c-store items and not be a lifetimer.

And the "kdf will be available at launch when we get kdf content" is really bad. First, they have no incentive, and two, two years isn't enough time? Should we trust you with two more?
Lt. Commander
# 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigadoom View Post
Maybe they expect players to buy more C-store ships if they're not locked to their career?
You're possibly right, but I think that basically players who're not going to buy ships won't be interested in different gameplay styles either.
Lt. Commander
# 8
09-06-2011, 10:39 AM
The ship/class combination lock is a potential limitations. But what if Gold players simply earn more Dilithium by missions? A +25 % bonus or something like that could be nice. But maybe that wouldn't work witth the plans for the Dilithium/C-Point auctions (devaluing Dilithium and making it easier for subscribers to buy C-Points might not be desired. Or it might be, as F2Pers should use the C-Store, subscribers pay the subscription already.)
Lt. Commander
# 9
09-06-2011, 10:42 AM
I actually agree with the OP on this one. I'm a big time CO player, and would never go F2P as a result of losing the ability to create and play Freeform characters (not to mention free access to the Adventure Pacsk, lots of costume pieces, and of course the wonderful 400 point stipend).

But here, I'm not really seeing much of a reason to stay Gold for STO? Sure, the limited storage will be a bummer for Silvers, but I don't see much else that would be different from my current gameplay.

I hope Cryptic knows what they are doing here. CO seems to be the perfect hybrid model, and by all accounts it's working great (lots of Golds, lots of Silvers, lots of $$$ for Cryptic, etc...). I want to see STO live long and prosper, and if a large percentage of Golds go F2P, I'm not sure how that's going to happen.
Lt. Commander
# 10
09-06-2011, 10:43 AM
OP. I really thought you were looking for reasons to make things worse for free players. But I do agree that we need to foster reasons to turn those free players into paying customers and any level. So it makes sense that engineering characters can only fly engineering type ships.

They will have 2 characters to play with and they will only have two classes of 3, and only experience one tree of ships per class.

An issue would be in trying to make them see that playing in a Tactical ship while using an Engineering character has advantages, as do the other combinations.

IT MIGHT NOT BE CLEAR that paying to have the combinations available could in fact increase the fun of the game. I certainly wouldn't be quick to jump to the conclusion that all the ships are the same across all classes - but someone who has done no research and who has never had the chance to play Sci in a Engineering ship might easily do so.

This could cause as much harm as it could generate more paying customers.
Closed Thread