Lt. Commander
# 11
09-06-2011, 10:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staran View Post
Yeah. This is ridiculous.
All I get as a lifetimer is 400 points a month.

It would be cheaper to buy c-store items and not be a lifetimer.

And the "kdf will be available at launch when we get kdf content" is really bad. First, they have no incentive, and two, two years isn't enough time? Should we trust you with two more?
When did you subscribe? How often do you intend to play? If you've already been playing, or will play for more than 16 months (I think) then you will/already have saved money. Seriously Why the (blank) are so many Lifers getting mad? Do you not realize that the Lifetime subscription is the most beneficial account to have as a player?
Lt. Commander
# 12
09-06-2011, 10:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
The ship/class combination lock is a potential limitations. But what if Gold players simply earn more Dilithium by missions?
I think that STO already has many subscribers that are more interested in the mission content based on stories and production values (voice overs etc) than gameplay mechanics.

My suggestion therefore seeks to give those players exactly what they want, for free, while offering people who seek a deeper experience something they may want to pay for. Simply offering extra Dilithium per mission is only going to allow people to "achieve" their "goals" faster, something which I think STO suffers from already.
Lt. Commander
# 13
09-06-2011, 10:49 AM
Got to agree with the O.P. I think Gold members could do with a bit more of an incentive.

I think Feature Episodes should be free to Gold Members but C-Store for Silver Members.

Playable Species should be Free to Gold members and C-store to Silver Members.

Gold members should also get more character slots than what is being advertised.

I know we get 400 promotional points per month. ( i really hope this is in fact cryptic points and not this Dillithium point thing as gold members should be a able to spend these points on stuff we can unlock for our accounts not just our character. ) but they should be for cosmetics, ships, etc not for character slots or inventory slots which since we are subscribing , we should be getting anyway.

I think that would go a long way to making the Gold Members feel like they are getting something worth while.
Lt. Commander
# 14
09-06-2011, 10:53 AM
I agree and would like to either see a new Gold only species added (then again, even lifers won't have access to Borg as an exclusive anymore), the stipend increased (unlikely given how many lifers there are but maybe they'd do it to promote new lifetime sales), or the sub reduced to $9.99 a month or less.

Otherwise,it may be worth subbing for a month when working on a Foundry mission or starting a fleet but the reality is that most folks would be better off just buying 500 CP a month.

Glad to see ship prices coming down though.
Lt. Commander
# 15
09-06-2011, 10:56 AM
I'm kind of with everyone here. Whats the point to being a gold subscriber? I'm a lifer myself and purchased most of the stuff from the C-Store which is now going to be free to silver? (Aka the various races I picked up) as well as the Liberated Borg??? So really the only reason you would want to go gold is for the Foundry, no adds in the broken Vivox voice chat, and the 400 cp bonus each month?

Tell me there's just a whole ton of content coming to the game that gold subscribers are going to get.... We don't even have the Adventure Packs that Champions has yet.
Lt. Commander
# 16
09-06-2011, 10:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by atatassault View Post
When did you subscribe? How often do you intend to play? If you've already been playing, or will play for more than 16 months (I think) then you will/already have saved money. Seriously Why the (blank) are so many Lifers getting mad? Do you not realize that the Lifetime subscription is the most beneficial account to have as a player?
I think few lifers would have subscribed for even half of the months since launch, honestly, and many or most have gone over 60-90 consecutive days without logging in at some point.
Lt. Commander
# 17
09-06-2011, 10:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahn View Post
I'm kind of with everyone here. Whats the point to being a gold subscriber? I'm a lifer myself and purchased most of the stuff from the C-Store which is now going to be free to silver? (Aka the various races I picked up) as well as the Liberated Borg??? So really the only reason you would want to go gold is for the Foundry, no adds in the broken Vivox voice chat, and the 400 cp bonus each month?

Tell me there's just a whole ton of content coming to the game that gold subscribers are going to get.... We don't even have the Adventure Packs that Champions has yet.
Champs made the adventure packs after the first one free for silver players.
Lt. Commander
# 18
09-06-2011, 11:01 AM
The biggest gold/silver difference to me seems to be the Bridge Officer slots. If the current matrix is correct, f2p players don't receive extra bridge officer slots as they level. This would mean that in order to fully staff a high-tier ship, they would need to either go gold or buy a few extra slots. Still, this would be a good deal for them, as $5 for a few slots is still a lot less than a subscription. But perhaps the 'freeform' type of incentive is here. Subscribers get lots of free BOff slots, and if a player really wants to play around with different power setups, he or she will get a lot more from a subscription than from buying all those slots individually.

I know I use lots of BOff slots so I can fly multiple ships and rearrange the powers in different ways. A free player might be more or less stuck with one set of BOffs whose powers are used on any ships they own. Kind of like restricting them to an archetype, but still one of their choosing. But by paying one way or another, they receive 'options' to swap their powers more freely (by means of actually having more officers).
Lt. Commander
# 19
09-06-2011, 11:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
Champs made the adventure packs after the first one free for silver players.
I recently started playing Champions and all 3 of the Adventure packs were "purchasable from the c-store" unless you went Gold. So I went Gold so I could play them. The Comic Series was available free for silver players. Just looking at Champions I decided to sub just because of all the stuff you get. It just doesn't seem to me like the STO gold membership is even worth it unless there's something huge coming down the pipe that is only available for Gold members.
Lt. Commander
# 20
09-06-2011, 11:06 AM
I have to agree with the OP, and it annoys me that once again Cryptic is shafting the playerbase with the announcement of how they are going to treat GoldvsSilver.

I pay fifteen bucks a month for my ability to play this game. And at this point, I see no reason to continue paying because there is little to no difference between sub and F2P.
Closed Thread