Lt. Commander
So, what does everyone think of the announcement that with F2P, Klingons will be unlocked at level 25 now, and apparently, they begin at that level as well? Low level PvP queues will be removed, but Fed v Fed PvP at low levels will be possible. The legendary update to the Klingon faction will come at a future date.

The biggest problem I have with it is that now new players can't start off as a Klingon as was the stated goal so many months ago. They will have to level a Federation character 25 levels before they can try Klingons. I think it is an incentive to stay Federation for new players.

On the flip side, the Matrix does say that new accounts will have three slots for Gold with one being designated Federation, one being designated for Klingons, and one for either. Silver just gets one of each.
Lt. Commander
# 2
09-06-2011, 11:49 AM
Klingons get burned once again, I was hoping f2p would get us a ton of new players, thus more players to demand more content. But now it's like "Well now you've grinded 25 levels and you get to play as one of the red headed step kids of sto!". I think that this move enforces the idea that being able to play a Klingon is a small reward for hitting 25 rather than implying it's a full blown faction. It needs to be promoted as a full blown faction, not as some small bonus.

Also, why would anybody grind out 25 levels and then just suddenly be like "Oh yay, I can play Klingon now!"?

Edit: The whole thing is just bs.
Lt. Commander
# 3
09-06-2011, 11:51 AM
I don't really have an issue with that - it condenses the current available content and will make leveling much less of a pain. Furthermore, I expect CapnLogan's two new ships for each of the non-Klingon KDF species to fall in at T3 and T4, meaning that Gorn, Orions and Nausicaans will be able to stick to a ship of their own species throughout the entire leveling process - whilst simultaneously making it easier to add more ships later on, as they can focus on fewer tiers than now. This applies to new content as well; whatever gets added will all be cramped into ~25 levels, in addition to all that we have right now. The Empire will finally feel like a real faction.

And let's be honest here: The first 18 levels of gameplay are not that special - people rush through them anyways, so they will hardly be missed. Given the almost ridiculous speed of leveling in STO, I'd guess it's safe to say that endgame content is much more of a concern.
Lt. Commander
# 4
09-06-2011, 11:55 AM
This will just dissuade people from playing the KDF. I'm so, SO annoyed right now. I was hoping that the F2P changes would really help boost the KDF side but it genuinely looks like Cryptic want this to be a one faction game.

I agree, why would anyone grind out 25 levels on the Fed side just to have a KDF player. And there is no more content at level 25 than there is at level 10 if I'm honest.

Why does it continually feel that the KDF is just there to be kicked. IT's under developed, under played, under supported and it's a challenge for those who really play the KDF actively and regularly to be able to encourage more to play.
Lt. Commander
# 5
09-06-2011, 12:18 PM
This works out great for me, I have a newly made gorn tact toon, when the f2p patch hits he'll be bumped up to Commander level.
Lt. Commander
This was debated a few months ago. I never thought they would actually do it. Unbelievable is the only thing that comes to mind.
Lt. Commander
# 7
09-06-2011, 12:24 PM
actually, they'll only be unlocked at level 25, not start at that level

as for those saying that klingons are being bumped once again, this is to make sure they have time to properly give you klingons content at all levels, even if making you a full-fledged faction will take longer

the basic thing is to wait. i know that's hard, probably harder than i can imagine, but it's all you can do for now

just my opinion on things
Lt. Commander
# 8
09-06-2011, 12:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trek17

as for those saying that klingons are being bumped once again, this is to make sure they have time to properly give you klingons content at all levels, even if making you a full-fledged faction will take longer

the basic thing is to wait. i know that's hard, probably harder than i can imagine, but it's all you can do for now

just my opinion on things
Read the FAQ again. It states there will be a new starting level and that Klingon characters that have not reached that level will be adjusted so as to be viable in the "New Empire."

And people telling us to be patient is wearing thin. We were told last March half the Dev team was making Klingon content. We don't have much to show for that. It is easy for Federation players to tell Klingon players to wait. There is a lot more Federation content.
Lt. Commander
# 9
09-06-2011, 12:36 PM
At level 25 anyone who has not played KDF already will not have the experience that current subscribers have which to me means more players that don't know what they are doing. At least that's what popped into my mind when I first read that.
Lt. Commander
# 10
09-06-2011, 12:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trek17
What makes you think that? We already know that low-level KDF-vs-UFP PvP will no longer be available, which to me means there will be no Klingons playing the game at that level. Because they'd start at 25.

If they'd not "skip" the early levels, they would not have time to develop more content. It currently takes an average player ... what ... two days? three? to get to level 25, at which point he would be able to unlock and play his Klingon, meaning there'd be absolutely no reason behind the new barrier besides making people wait a bit longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTagloH View Post
At level 25 anyone who has not played KDF already will not have the experience that current subscribers have which to me means more players that don't know what they are doing.
Well ... sort of. It's the same issue the KDF is facing on T2 right now, it would only get pushed 18 levels. What might be possible is that there will be a slightly larger mix between experienced vets and learning players in the higher levels - which could actually make the fights feel more "balanced" in that the KDF will have a few players in their teams that are no more experienced at PvP than the average Fed.

Perhaps not getting roflstomped by experienced PvPers all the time will convince more Feds to try their hand at PvP? This may actually have a benevolent effect. I'd rather lose a bit more often if the queues would end up looking more lively.