Lt. Commander
Massively talks free-to-play and interviews Ivan, Cryptic's Marketing Director, about this upcoming change in his latest Captain's Log.

Link to the news article.
Lt. Commander
# 2
09-08-2011, 01:57 PM
I was just about to post this

Anyway, good article and interview. However, suggesting that the content drought is "debatable" is just silly. Its understood that that term is in reference to official, Dev made content, not Foundry missions. So the Foundry really has nothing to do with that(not to mention the fact its been very broken recently).

But anyway, I'm looking forward to F2P and all the benefits it will have for the game =)
Lt. Commander
# 3 Thanks
09-08-2011, 02:27 PM
The article is a good read, and informative. Thanks for writing it up and sharing it with us.
Lt. Commander
# 4
09-08-2011, 02:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
I was just about to post this

Anyway, good article and interview. However, suggesting that the content drought is "debatable" is just silly. Its understood that that term is in reference to official, Dev made content, not Foundry missions. So the Foundry really has nothing to do with that(not to mention the fact its been very broken recently).

But anyway, I'm looking forward to F2P and all the benefits it will have for the game =)
Thanks, Nagus As you pointed out, "content drought" can be seen in different lights. Since this is an opine piece, I meant it as that I do not feel there is one because of the Foundry content coming out. Maybe the better phrase would be I don't feel affected. But, you are correct in that it could be taken a few different ways.

Thanks again for reading it, everyone!
Lt. Commander
# 5
09-08-2011, 02:44 PM
Its a sun shine and rainbow article about STO as usual but really the content drought is not debatable. I didn't sub to this game to play fan fiction missions.
Lt. Commander
# 6
09-08-2011, 02:58 PM
"As we broke the news."

The news broke first on the STO forums by a STO player who wasn't credited in you later breaking of the news.
Lt. Commander
# 7
09-08-2011, 02:59 PM
Let's kinda look at this and dissect it:

Quote:
While either membership type allows one to join a fleet, only those who are paying can create a fleet.
There are plenty of fleets already for people to join. Plus being f2p doesn't stop you from LEADING or MANAGING a fleet. So here's the plan. I'm Silver, you're Gold. Lets get some people together, you start the fleet and leave and we'll have out Silver fleet. Tada!

Quote:
Only paying players can have unlimited amounts of energy credits earned/inventoried.
What do we spend those on? From what I've heard and read all the GOOD stuff will be bought with Dilithium (including all ships not given via level-up token). Which means we're limited to a few million EC to spend on DABO and white items and food?

Quote:
Players who do not subscribe will be limited to one toon-slot per faction, with additional available for purchase.
Many people only have one toon they play a lot anyway and it's two slots not one of each faction I thought. If the former then it allows for one alt...

Quote:
Only paying subscribers will get one free respec token per rank or from Veteran rewards, whereas free players will have to purchase them.
Hopefully, F2P people aren't smart enough to just level up and wait til VA with a bunch of saved Merit to respec. Yes anything beyond that will require a purchase but in reality they're getting one for "free".

Quote:
While these are "limited" for those playing the game for free, there will be a number of ways to gain "unlimited" access to them without having to purchase a subscription; these include playing for 20 hours across all of your characters, making a C-Store purchase, carrying a C-Store point balance, or having had a past subscription.
So spend 5 bucks or buy a tribble and you can spam people all you want? Fun.

Quote:
It's very important for us not to make waves for existing subscribers. Like we did with CO, we want to ensure that existing subscribers (be they recurring or lifetime) still have valuable subscriptions. Our features matrix on the official website breaks down the offerings, but we include things like a 400CP stipend, veteran rewards, Foundry creation and a slew of other miscellaneous perks specific to subscribers. No content limiters, though. We want everyone to play 1 to max.
Sadly, nothing that actually limits anything for me as a player, making any reason for a non-Foundry author to stay subbed nonexistent. Outside of the Foundry and a 5 dollar a month stipend (meaning the game costs you 10 a month assuming you actually buy anything from the Store) what is there?

You can play 1 to Max in CO but you still have to buy alternate advancement routes such as Adventure Packs. The closest equivalents in STO are STFs or Featured Episodes. Both of which still appear to be free for all. At least the special loot could be locked away for Freemium players.

Quote:
To convert some of the free players into paid subscribers, constant and new content for the game is going to be important
I don't understand how this will convert F2P folks into paying subs. Currently all, ALL, content appears to be free. Only fluff and new ships appear to be getting left in the C-Store. Even those things I can pick and choose to buy w/o a sub.
Lt. Commander
# 8
09-08-2011, 03:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkfat View Post
"As we broke the news."

The news broke first on the STO forums by a STO player who wasn't credited in you later breaking of the news.
I've already updated it and have been talking to Alt.

Honestly, I meant it as meaning "we broke the news to our own readers" -- I guess it was just a poor choice of words on my part since it came off as sounding not as I intended it to.

Also, the original news post about it on Massively was made from a tip that came in from someone who must have seen Alt's post but didn't mention Alt's post, just Seeking Alpha's call recap link. We had no idea at the time the news was tipped/ sent in to us that it had been sourced elsewhere, honestly. I've made sure to thank Alt in my column post now with the original tipster.
Lt. Commander
# 9
09-08-2011, 03:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfelczer View Post
Thanks, Nagus As you pointed out, "content drought" can be seen in different lights. Since this is an opine piece, I meant it as that I do not feel there is one because of the Foundry content coming out. Maybe the better phrase would be I don't feel affected. But, you are correct in that it could be taken a few different ways.

Thanks again for reading it, everyone!
It should also be noted that dstahl himself has acknowledged the "content drought" as a valid issue. So there really is no "opinion" about whether it exists or not from an official POV. The only thing that there might be differing opinions on is how bad it is(due to other factors, such as the Foundry).
Lt. Commander
# 10
09-08-2011, 04:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfelczer View Post
I've already updated it and have been talking to Alt.

Honestly, I meant it as meaning "we broke the news to our own readers" -- I guess it was just a poor choice of words on my part since it came off as sounding not as I intended it to.

Also, the original news post about it on Massively was made from a tip that came in from someone who must have seen Alt's post but didn't mention Alt's post, just Seeking Alpha's call recap link. We had no idea at the time the news was tipped/ sent in to us that it had been sourced elsewhere, honestly. I've made sure to thank Alt in my column post now with the original tipster.
With all due respect, Cryptic is slapping Golds in the face. You don't *need* to respec, get more toon slots etc. You can get that for a lot cheaper in the C-Store. The Foundry is a buggy sham at the moment, and I wouldn't author anything in it for that reason. I've seen reviews get unfailry dinged for the inherent bugs. The *only* redeeming value is the C-Points, and it's not much considering we don't get *ANYTHING* extra as Golds that Silvers wouldn't get. If I wasn't a lifer, I wouldn't think twice about cancelling my sub. The pot is not sweet enough to keep it. As it is right now, it's less expensive to go silver. The correct hypbrid model makes it the other way around. Why does everyone who talks to a dev feel the need to avoid any tough questions and spin their stuff in the devs' favor?