Lt. Commander
It's kind of sad to be in a position where the Foundry and its community are very important to me. I'll continue to subscribe, but pretty much only because I'm a diehard and the Foundry community is important to me.

But, let's be honest. Only diehard Foundry authors like me would be willing to pay $15 a month to create Foundry missions. All casual authors would be justified in giving up on the Foundry and going silver.

This change is going to shrink the Foundry community to a small percentage of diehards. Why? Because the Foundry is the biggest incentive to go gold and it's simply not worth $15 a month.

The learning curve sucks. The tool doesn't get updated. Our missions get broken. It is work without much of a reward. The Foundry team mostly works on a different game.

Being a Foundry author has been constantly frustrating and unrewarding. The toolset is limited, badly maintained, and rarely expanded.

It is not a good incentive to go gold. Buyer beware.

Hopefully all of you will continue to enjoy the missions that about 35 diehard authors will continue to create.
Lt. Commander
# 2
09-06-2011, 07:21 PM
At the moment....I also cannot disagree with this set of statements. I am not planning on stepping down to silver....but I would really like someone to step up and say something similar to whats been told the Klingons that we know you have gotten the raw end lately, but we have a plan, here are the broad highlights.'

Please give us a reason to feel differently, share something of the cool things you have teased.
Lt. Commander
# 3
09-06-2011, 07:22 PM
If they actually put some effort into the Foundry to justify it, then I could accept it. I mean, how about giving us a frickin' solid wall that actually matches the wall with doors! Then again, I guess I can accept it since I'm a lifer and I'm not paying anything anyway.

One thing is how is the Foundry going to gain any new authors? I think the Foundry should require gold to publish, but not to use. That way silver players can try it out and decide they want to pay once they've finished a mission.
Lt. Commander
# 4
09-06-2011, 07:22 PM
50? Wow I swore I saw more than that in my experience.

But I have to agree creating content to that is more or less more unappreciated by casual players as it is hardcore trekkers is not really an incentive for many players.

But lets see if they improve Gold first, I'm not one to say the Sky is Falling just yet
Lt. Commander
# 5
09-06-2011, 07:28 PM
So basically you are paying $15 a month to create content for the game. Non paying members get to play that content that you are paying to create?

This can't be right... Can it?
Lt. Commander
# 6
09-06-2011, 07:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkfat View Post
It's kind of sad to be in a position where the foundry and its community is very important to me. I'll continue to subscribe, but pretty much only because I'm a diehard and the foundry community is important to me.

But, let's be honest. Only diehard foundry authors like me would be willing to pay $15 a month to create foundry missions. All casual authors would be justified in giving up on the Foundry and going silver.

This change is going to shrink the foundry community to a small percentage of diehards. Why? Because the Foundry is the biggest incentive to go gold and it's simply not worth $15 a month.

The learning curve sucks. The tool doesn't get updated. Our missions get broken. It is work without much of a reward. The foundry team mostly works on a different game.

Being a Foundry author has been constantly frustrating and unrewarding. The toolset is limited, badly maintained, and rarely expanded.

It is not a good incentive to go gold. Buyer beware.

Hopefully all of you will continue to enjoy the missions that about 35 diehard authors will continue to create.
This ^

If I wasn't a Lifetime I would do exactly that, go silver and say "I don't need it."

I have 3 missions currently in the Foundry, published, and 1 i'm working on, however I cant get very far with it considering the bugs that continue to ravage the Foundry. Some of my best work continues to get rated 1 star because of these bugs, and it turns a lot of perspective players away from my missions.

I agree with Kirkfat that if the Foundry is what you are hoping will drive subscriptions then it's going to need some major work before you start to see anyone paying for these tools. On top of that the Foundry has been down almost as long as it's been up, which in itself is a little discouraging.

If the Foundry is going to be a premium service than I would highly suggest not letting the silver players rate the missions because they aren't going to understand the issues we Foundry authors have to go though to put these missions out there. I'm all fine for constructive feedback but constantly seeing "1 star - This mission sux because I fell though the floor." isn't going to make anyone feel like paying for it.

Another thing I would highly suggest is allowing missions to be ported over to the Tribble Test server so that we can test our missions over there, without having to wait for things to get to Holodeck before we find out they are broken. A lot of Foundry authors including myself work very hard on our missions, and put a lot of time and effort adding content into the game for people to play and without an effective way to test before patches go live makes things very difficult on us.

One of the biggest problems I have with the Foundry is I have to always be using outside tools to figure out how it works. (Such as Starbase UGC) There's no good tutorial for how the tools work, or what everything does in the Foundry. I've been working in the tools since they came out, and I still don't think I've figured it all out. A really good tutorial or guide is going to be key for drawing users to pay for a subscription. The average Joe Blow who doesn't really understand it is going to be turned off really quickly.

I sincerely hope that you will consider all the things mentioned above, as well as what Kirkfat said. I enjoy making missions but if the F2P model is going to slow support and development on the Foundry I may just forget it all together.
Lt. Commander
# 7
09-06-2011, 07:55 PM
I've been subscribed for a year now. I don't know at all how to work the foundry to make a mission. I've watched your intro video and all the ones on StarbaseUGC. but yet I can not make a mission.
Lt. Commander
# 8
09-06-2011, 07:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfish1
So basically you are paying $15 a month to create content for the game. Non paying members get to play that content that you are paying to create?

This can't be right... Can it?
I think this may be the most awesome description of the issue.
Lt. Commander
# 9
09-06-2011, 07:58 PM
I hate to disagree with Kirkfat, but it doesn't seem right that Free players having reign in creating content. There will be people taking advantage of the free accounts and purposely disregarding the EULA and making exploit missions to the point Cryptic and the Review community being so flooded it would be impossible to check them all.
Lt. Commander
# 10
09-06-2011, 08:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurian View Post
I hate to disagree with Kirkfat, but it doesn't seem right that Free players having reign in creating content. There will be people taking advantage of the free accounts and purposely disregarding the EULA and making exploit missions to the point Cryptic and the Review community being so flooded it would be impossible to check them all.
It's not necessarily my position that Foundry shouldn't be confined to "gold" accounts. I would be OK if there were other incentives. But there are not good incentives beyond the Foundry. So, the point of this thread is that the Foundry is NOT "the" incentive to go gold.

It is buggy and it gets no love from the devs. It's like offering the KDF as "the" incentive to go gold.
Closed Thread