Lt. Commander
# 11
09-06-2011, 08:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurian View Post
I hate to disagree with Kirkfat, but it doesn't seem right that Free players having reign in creating content. There will be people taking advantage of the free accounts and purposely disregarding the EULA and making exploit missions to the point Cryptic and the Review community being so flooded it would be impossible to check them all.
I agree the Foundry should be a pay service, however I think what Kirkfat is getting at is that it needs to have better support. If someone is going to pay for the Foundry tools, it needs to have a better track record than it has currently. Mission bugs take weeks even months to get fixed, and some patches released to Holodeck totally break it, and make it unusable.

It's not that free subscribers should be allowed to create missions, but more of the paying users get some better support.
Lt. Commander
# 12
09-06-2011, 08:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahn View Post
I agree the Foundry should be a pay service, however I think what Kirkfat is getting at is that it needs to have better support. If someone is going to pay for the Foundry tools, it needs to have a better track record than it has currently. Mission bugs take weeks even months to get fixed, and some patches released to Holodeck totally break it, and make it unusable.

It's not that free subscribers should be allowed to create missions, but more of the paying users get some better support.
Exactly. If they're going to offer up the foundry as the "thing" that rewards gold, then they need to support, expand, and maintain it in a reasonable way. As it stands, it's not worthy of going gold.
Lt. Commander
# 13
09-06-2011, 08:18 PM
Most of the items offered to gold are pretty lacking.

Create a fleet? How many people create their own fleet from scratch? And does this game even need fleets?

Limited EC? Who needs EC? there is nothing to buy, the best loot is avilable from crafting and mission rewards.

Limiited Zone chat? you mean I can't hear people say "where is sulu? LOL" any more?

Limited forums? So I can't post my continued disapointments?

That stuff and the extra slots are not worth the 15/10 bucks Cryptic is asking from people. Most folks are better off going silver and buying what you need. Does everyone of your toons need 8 Boffs? Does each of your toons need a mega sized inventory?

The foundry like the KDF needs a revamp if they actually expect people to pay extra to create game content. Most folks want to play game content not create it.
Lt. Commander
# 14
09-06-2011, 08:19 PM
Quote:

Exactly. With the Foundry in it its current state of bugs and limitations, If I was Cryptic I wouldn't be flaunting it as content you are paying $15 bucks to use.

When it includes at least half of the base features that authors have requested and it reliably works and doesn't get brought down. Then they can consider "heh look at this!, it comes with a gold subscription."
Lt. Commander
# 15
09-06-2011, 08:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkfat View Post
It's not necessarily my position that Foundry shouldn't be confined to "gold" accounts. I would be OK if there were other incentives. But there are not good incentives beyond the Foundry. So, the point of this thread is that the Foundry is NOT "the" incentive to go gold.

It is buggy and it gets no love from the devs. It's like offering the KDF as "the" incentive to go gold.
Quote:

I do have to agree with you there. If you are paying, you should get better quality support. Especially with the Foundry is going to be an important part of Everwinter.
Lt. Commander
# 16
09-06-2011, 08:30 PM
Oddly that's what I was saying earlier and I got crap for it.

I ask yah
Lt. Commander
# 17
09-06-2011, 08:32 PM
definatly need some incentive for subscription players, subs aren't worth it, the limited chat is just gonna be a pain for everyone (MMOs are social activites)

as it is there is simply nothing your subscription buys you right now.
Lt. Commander
# 18
09-06-2011, 08:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianDavion View Post
definatly need some incentive for subscription players, subs aren't worth it, the limited chat is just gonna be a pain for everyone (MMOs are social activites)

as it is there is simply nothing your subscription buys you right now.
If the limitations are anything like CO they'll be trivial. Minimum 20 hours played or buy something.
Lt. Commander
# 19
09-06-2011, 09:33 PM
The Foundry is the LAST thing they should be trying to sell as the pennicale of Gold Membership, even if it wasnt broken it STILL shouldnt be the key to a Gold Membership.

Why?

Because NO ONE should have to pay 15 dollars, to be able to do WHAT THE DEVS are supposed to be doing.

Were paying for access to the game, and continued content development, not to make the Devs jobs easier by doing it for them. Im a Customer, not an employee.
Lt. Commander
# 20
09-06-2011, 09:45 PM
Well... I get putting the Foundry in the paid column. It requires moderation, which requires money. Free play doesn't guarantee to pay for anything so it isn't paying for its own moderation.

The issue is, the Foundry is very lonely there in the gold column. Shy of a sub price reduction or hidden perks to being Gold (for example, they introduce massive EC sinks that require subscription to accumulate enough EC for), there's not enough reason to go Gold. Which will probably result in most of the current Foundry authors giving up on The Foundry rather than pay $15 for it. (If they spend $15 at all, they'll probably buy $19.50 on three rounds of C-Points.)

One tiny idea... Maybe they should treat Gold membership as having a "three drink minimum." As in, anybody who buys at least 1500 CP in one sitting automatically gets 30 days of Gold with their purchase.
Closed Thread