Lt. Commander
# 21
09-07-2011, 06:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allegiance86
The Foundry is the LAST thing they should be trying to sell as the pennicale of Gold Membership, even if it wasnt broken it STILL shouldnt be the key to a Gold Membership.

Why?

Because NO ONE should have to pay 15 dollars, to be able to do WHAT THE DEVS are supposed to be doing.

Were paying for access to the game, and continued content development, not to make the Devs jobs easier by doing it for them. Im a Customer, not an employee.
I don't really feel like an employee. Employees get things like a paycheck and benefits.
Lt. Commander
# 22
09-07-2011, 06:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkfat View Post
But, let's be honest. Only diehard Foundry authors like me would be willing to pay $15 a month to create Foundry missions. All casual authors would be justified in giving up on the Foundry and going silver.
I completely agree that it's not worth the $15/month... and it's sad because it *could* be and hopefully *will* be at some point but for now, yeah it's not worth going Gold.

Things are definitely going to be interesting...
Lt. Commander
# 23
09-07-2011, 06:48 AM
the foundry should only be for gold, because of all the spam and crap and vulgar missions that would fill up the mission list if anybody could make missions across multiple free accounts.

what they should do is add more foundry slots for people who pay to continue making great missions. give me more slots and ill have tons of fun.
Lt. Commander
# 24
09-07-2011, 07:00 AM
I agree that the foundry should be a gold advantage, but not this foundry.
From the day it was launch the only we got were BUGs and some improvements on the customisation and the map preview.
They bugged the foundry and it was dawn for more than a month, and one of those bug they knew they were gona bug it.
¿What if I decide to paid a gold sub just for the foundry and they bug it because they want to add a new icon on the C Store? ¿what if its stay dawn for a month like happened before? ¿If I paid for the foundry are we going to get a dev that work for the foundry and add stuff? Don’t think so.. when the game goes FTWin, the foundry would be forgotten as its today, maybe even more bugged.
Lt. Commander
# 25
09-07-2011, 07:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkfat View Post
It's kind of sad to be in a position where the Foundry and its community are very important to me. I'll continue to subscribe, but pretty much only because I'm a diehard and the Foundry community is important to me.

But, let's be honest. Only diehard Foundry authors like me would be willing to pay $15 a month to create Foundry missions. All casual authors would be justified in giving up on the Foundry and going silver.

This change is going to shrink the Foundry community to a small percentage of diehards. Why? Because the Foundry is the biggest incentive to go gold and it's simply not worth $15 a month.

The learning curve sucks. The tool doesn't get updated. Our missions get broken. It is work without much of a reward. The Foundry team mostly works on a different game.

Being a Foundry author has been constantly frustrating and unrewarding. The toolset is limited, badly maintained, and rarely expanded.

It is not a good incentive to go gold. Buyer beware.

Hopefully all of you will continue to enjoy the missions that about 35 diehard authors will continue to create.
Its almost like you are paying $15 a month to create missions for cryptic so that it will hook free and pay members into staying on. As far as I see it you should be getting months free if you mission draws the top 10 downloads.
Lt. Commander
# 26
09-07-2011, 08:24 AM
I could care less about the perception some people have that Foundry authors are doing the job Cryptic should. Whether I agree with your position or not, the core issue is that as we stand right now, the Foundry as a tool and a platform needs some acknowledgement and love, even if its just a pat on the head and a nod.

Since about the time of the divestiture we have been getting less attention then PvP, which they will argue is a good thing, but I will argue they didn't get a whole season hype for them. If we are a marginalized group, then tell us. If we have shiny bells and whistles coming down the pike, or even just an asset database update coming down the pipe (we don't _NEED_ new things added, just caught up on what went into the c-store since march) that would be fine.

I also wouldn't cry if perhaps a warm body or 2 were regularly dedicated back to the STO version of the Foundry, its been lonely since everyone got exiled over to NWO.
Lt. Commander
# 27
09-07-2011, 08:45 AM
I think it is a very bad sign when the head of StarbaseUGC.com, the hub of the STO Foundry Community , says the price it not worth it.
I agree with Kitfat here. It seems that the Foundry is being used as a big incentive to pay for a gold or lifetime sub. But as someone who has worked in the foundry a lot, tracked it’s progress, and talked about it endless, I would have to say that it is still “not ready for primetime.” Even Cryptic itself still calls it a “beta.”
I fear that restricting the access to the Foundry will drop that author base down to a very few players and Cryptic’s resources will be moved to developing items for the c-store than working on the technical issues that plaque the Foundry. And the foundry will become a dried wasteland in what was hoped to be fertile soil for creativity.
Lt. Commander
# 28
09-07-2011, 09:07 AM
A bit of a mixed opinion on the matter. The Foundry is going to be the key tool in their Neverwinter Online Franchise, and if its anything like our current state of Foundry they are gonna shoot themselves in the foot. So my opinion is, they are working on stuff for foundry, albeit for Neverwinter, which eventually will benefit us and reach our game. (same Foundry engine)

But if they want to set themselves up for failure with Neverwinter Nights, then ignore the foundry and launch it in the same sorry state it is currently in for STO.

Potential DM's (which WILL be a significant portion of that franchises playerbase). Will scoff at the current Foundry. (Players have already put up detailed explainations of the failures of foundry)

Since they have already started advertising the release of NWN online, people who might be interested in specifically using the foundry will stop by here, check it out and be very disappointed.

And this is what irks me about the whole foundry. Yes, we are the guinea pigs being used to test and develop the key features of another MMO, but they won't address the glaring issues we have presented to them. (Unless they have for the NWN version of Foundry). Then its time to flip the water bowl and trash the hamster wheel!

The point- Foundry is not in a polished enough state to be considered a "bonus" for going gold.
Lt. Commander
# 29
09-07-2011, 09:31 AM
Ok so you are going to pay your 15 bucks a month to create Foundry missions. As far as I know there still will be the 8 slot restriction. What happens after your 8 slots are full? Are you going to pay additional money to get more slots if that will be an option?

This really makes me sad. I think the Foundry itself has potential and there are lots of great missions but the situation is just absurd.
Lt. Commander
# 30
09-07-2011, 09:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by decker999 View Post
Ok so you are going to pay your 15 bucks a month to create Foundry missions. As far as I know there still will be the 8 slot restriction. What happens after your 8 slots are full? Are you going to pay additional money to get more slots if that will be an option?

This really makes me sad. I think the Foundry itself has potential and there are lots of great missions but the situation is just absurd.
Which is the point of the thread, to call attention to a grievance and start a dialog to influence a change.
Closed Thread