Lt. Commander
Some people think there aren't enough perks for Gold players to really keep a subscription going. I am not sure I entirely agree, but the idea is kinda irrelevant for me anyway. Some think we should perhaps reduce some of the stuff Silvers can get according to the actual F2P matrix. I am not convinced this is a good idea - the F2P package must be interesting enough to try it out and encourage people to buy stuff on the C-Store.

So, here are some of my ideas, but I would like to hear more idas from other players.

Some or all of these items might be interesting to add.

Pure Convenience
  • Additional Transwarp Locations unlocked as you level. (Appropriate to the main mission hubs at that rank)
  • A faster Transwarp Recharge.
  • Earlier access to Quantum Slipstream
  • Faster Quantum Slipstream, or longer duration.
  • Access to additional vendors (maybe a summonable vendor that also sells common gear)

Advancement Advantages
(Some are pretty close to "pay-for-power", but in the end not different fro the XP Boosters, and don't create direct competitive advantages in PvP or Fleet Actions)
  • additional 10-20 % Dilithium gain bonus (or free Dilithium bonus each time you gain a rank, replacing ship tokens)
  • Better Energy Credit vendor deals (say, 10-20 % off)
  • Free Duty Officers as you level
  • Increased chance for critical success results in Duty Officer assignments

Cosmetic Advantages
  • Additional free uniform pieces
  • Additional ship costume options
  • Exclusive Uniform Pieces (not time-limited exclusive)

C-Store Perks
  • One random costume (1 uniform and 1 ship) on sale each week (in addition to regular sales for everyone)
Lt. Commander
# 2
09-07-2011, 08:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
Some people think there aren't enough perks for Gold players to really keep a subscription going. I am not sure I entirely agree, but the idea is kinda irrelevant for me anyway. Some think we should perhaps reduce some of the stuff Silvers can get according to the actual F2P matrix. I am not convinced this is a good idea - the F2P package must be interesting enough to try it out and encourage people to buy stuff on the C-Store.

So, here are some of my ideas, but I would like to hear more idas from other players.

Some or all of these items might be interesting to add.

Pure Convenience
  • Additional Transwarp Locations unlocked as you level. (Appropriate to the main mission hubs at that rank)
  • A faster Transwarp Recharge.
  • Earlier access to Quantum Slipstream
  • Faster Quantum Slipstream, or longer duration.
  • Access to additional vendors (maybe a summonable vendor that also sells common gear)

Advancement Advantages
(Some are pretty close to "pay-for-power", but in the end not different fro the XP Boosters, and don't create direct competitive advantages in PvP or Fleet Actions)
  • additional 10-20 % Dilithium gain bonus (or free Dilithium bonus each time you gain a rank, replacing ship tokens)
  • Better Energy Credit vendor deals (say, 10-20 % off)
  • Free Duty Officers as you level
  • Increased chance for critical success results in Duty Officer assignments

Cosmetic Advantages
  • Additional free uniform pieces
  • Additional ship costume options
  • Exclusive Uniform Pieces (not time-limited exclusive)

C-Store Perks
  • One random costume (1 uniform and 1 ship) on sale each week (in addition to regular sales for everyone)

I like the last one. Would make goldies spend thier stipend faster and spend more money if its over the 400.
Lt. Commander
# 3
09-07-2011, 08:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
Some think we should perhaps reduce some of the stuff Silvers can get according to the actual F2P matrix. I am not convinced this is a good idea - the F2P package must be interesting enough to try it out and encourage people to buy stuff on the C-Store.
I get your point, but you also need to consider this: if you give people enough for free, then they wont feel the desire to spend money. So its actually in Cryptic's best interest not to give too much away for free. I mean, I'm currently playing Champs for absolutely nothing just because they let me play every mission in the game for free.

And keep in mind also that the majority of players are(and will be) pretty casual. As we've already been told the majority of the playerbase isnt even max level. So for people who play like that, the current matrix is going to give them pretty much all they'll ever need for free.
Lt. Commander
# 4
09-07-2011, 08:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
I get your point, but you also need to consider this: if you give people enough for free, then they wont feel the desire to spend money. So its actually in Cryptic's best interest not to give too much away for free. I mean, I'm currently playing Champs for absolutely nothing just because they let me play every mission in the game for free.

And keep in mind also that the majority of players are(and will be) pretty casual. As we've already been told the majority of the playerbase isnt even max level. So for people who play like that, the current matrix is going to give them pretty much all they'll ever need for free.
The other side of the balance is that if you give them too little, they won't play. What the games got to do is give free players enough to attract and keep them and then make Gold subscriptions attractive enough to be paid for.
Lt. Commander
# 5
09-07-2011, 08:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermbot View Post
The other side of the balance is that if you give them too little, they won't play. What the games got to do is give free players enough to attract and keep them and then make Gold subscriptions attractive enough to be paid for.
I completely agree. Balance is needed. My point is that the current matrix gives so much away for free that simply saying "just give subscribers more perks" isnt going to address the issue. For people who only play casually(the majority), they wont need to spend anything at all. And that isnt in Cryptic's(and by extension, our) best interest.
Lt. Commander
# 6
09-07-2011, 08:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
I completely agree. Balance is needed. My point is that the current matrix gives so much away for free that simply saying "just give subscribers more perks" isnt going to address the issue. For people who only play casually(the majority), they wont need to spend anything at all. And that isnt in Cryptic's(and by extension, our) best interest.
Well, no, I sort of disagree. The Cryptic F2P model is very friendly to freeloaders. They embrace freeloaders, they open their doors and hearts to freeloaders in hopes that some of those freeloaders will pay eventually. In Champions Online freeloaders, people who haven't spent a dime, get quite a bit, the most popular archtypes, the ability to control placement of their advantages, a full range of leveling missions and a wide range of character customization. Then they give their gold subscribers even more.

It's hard to judge this exactly because STO doesn't have a mechanic that can be satisfactorily translated into archtypes but right now I'd say that what a Free to Play player in STO gets is roughly equivalent to what a Champions Online Free to Play player gets. So I'm generally on the Buff Gold side of things.
Lt. Commander
# 7
09-07-2011, 08:41 AM
The Diplomatic missions should be locked to silver or purchaseable, this would also lock down the transwarp drives to any where other than ESD. Also extra ships, the Excellsior and Nebula should remain in the C-store for silvers, at all levels. Give them the same core ships we had when the game launched and nothing else. I agree with the Nagus, its not about giving us more perks, Cryptic needs to ballance it out. I think more needs to be restriced for silvers, make them buyable but restriced.
Lt. Commander
# 8
09-07-2011, 08:45 AM
I am mostly OK with the silver player features. I'd say give gold members a few more extras.

Let's see what I would suggest to change in the matrix:

Character Slots [?] 3 [[[Boost this to 4 or 5]]] 2

--- Remember... this is 1 Fed and 1 Kling for silvers (2 Feds are not possible!!) - give gold members the possibility to have either more than 1 random slot OR make at least all 3 slots random. This is a minor change that would have an affect that shouldn't be underestimated!!

Costume / Uniform Slots 3 Free [[[Bost this to 5]]] 3 Free

--- simple thing isn't it? ... but i bet it would be appreciated

Energy Credit Storage Limit Unlimited Limited

--- make that dilithium as well!!! This will be the new important currency!!

Additionally:
- Keep the inventory and bank space for subbers at the same limit it is now. Don't reduce it!!
- Keep the badges and Lib. Borg exclusive to lifers!! Give them (us) something for the risk of believing in the game.
- Lock some playable races for silvers, including alien!!
Lt. Commander
# 9
09-07-2011, 08:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermbot View Post
It's hard to judge this exactly because STO doesn't have a mechanic that can be satisfactorily translated into archtypes but right now I'd say that what a Free to Play player in STO gets is roughly equivalent to what a Champions Online Free to Play player gets.
And with that, I will have to disagree, and for the reason you just said in the first half of that sentence. Being able to mix and match your own powers is a HUGE thing in a superhero MMO. There is no "huge" thing related to Trek that free players arent getting in STO's matrix. Therefore the reason to subscribe in STO will be far less than in Champs.
Lt. Commander
# 10
09-07-2011, 08:51 AM
Its better to be safe than sorry. Give free players "just enough" now and then open up more options later based on feedback. Because if you give them too much now and find out later they already have everything they want then your screwed and you cant fix it then.